Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets coach trips Dolphins player during game

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Last I checked people are not convicted on what might have happened but on what actually did happen.

just a side note,not that this is on the same level,
    but don't people get convicted of "attempted murder" ? isn't that a crime of what might have happened ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    He got suspended for the rest of the year with no paycheck and actually got fined in the process.
    good ! he's a moron ! let him go work at McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    just a side note,not that this is on the same level,
    but don't people get convicted of "attempted murder" ? isn't that a crime of what might have happened ?
    The crime is attempted murder but you don't get punished as if you actually did murder someone.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    The crime is attempted murder but you don't get punished as if you actually did murder someone.
    Yes, you do. If you attempted murder, the punishment is the same as murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Yes, you do. If you attempted murder, the punishment is the same as murder.
    Thats hard to say as as it varies a lot, but I would think attempted murder would average less than murder if you tallied them up. A quick google shows different numbers and possibly that attempted murder could receive the benefit of good behavior.

Intent, premeditation, motive and such, come into play at trials. It would be hard to prove something like premeditated as you would not know if you would ever have the opportunity, although the idea couldn't totally be dismissed. ...If I ever have the chance... Of course, that would take someone hearing him say that beforehand...

In truth it was a very wrong thing to do. A player running all out and gets tripped can cause very serious, potentially career ending injuries (think ACL and such), so the severity can not be dismissed.
    If you don't believe that it is serious, just run as fast as you can and allow someone to trip you...
    If you noticed, he wasn't getting up from the ground very quickly...

I guess the main point should be setting a precedence to keep someone else from doing it in the future and actually causing serious injuries...

New information to this story. Frankly he's lucky he's not banned from the sport. This makes it even more blatant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5922926

So he tried to get players to lead the guy into him? Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    So he tried to get players to lead the guy into him? Nice guy.
    Yep which in turn makes this worse because it proves premeditation.

New information to this story. Frankly he's lucky he's not banned from the sport. This makes it even more blatant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5922926

yes,IMO he should be given a lifetime NFL ban

Yep which in turn makes this worse because it proves premeditation.
    and like I said,it should be looked at as a crime.

I think what he did was wrong but his punishment is a little over the top only because if he was a player on the sidelines who did the same thing there is no way in hell he would have been suspended the rest of the year and fined 25K.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by *cho* View Post
    I think what he did was wrong but his punishment is a little over the top only because if he was a player on the sidelines who did the same thing there is no way in hell he would have been suspended the rest of the year and fined 25K.
    True, but then the coaching staff is leadership. They should know better and frankly any player should feel safe going into the sideline. They shouldn't have to deal with idiot coaches looking to take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by *cho* View Post
    that's exactly what I was talking about regarding how bad sports is ! why should a player get away with so much ?

hell ! why should anyone in sports get away with actions that on the street would be a crime ?( rhetorical question)

Considering the new info, I feel his punishment is a bit light now.

True, but then the coaching staff is leadership. They should know better and frankly any player should feel safe going into the sideline. They shouldn't have to deal with idiot coaches looking to take them out.
    I don't think being in a leadership position should place anymore importance on the punishment. You are right a player shouldn't have to deal with idoit coaches or anyone interfering like that but at the same time if a player suffers a career ending injury to a dirty hit, the player should be punished for more than a couple weeks.

I don't watch football as much and I don't think there is as many dirty plays as there is in hockey. But in the NHL Colin Campbell and the NHL do not know how to punish worth a damn. You can end a players career and walk away with nothing.

Here is an exmaple: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...urn=nhl-240914

Malkin one of the NHLs top stars boards Willie Mitchell, no where near as large of a star but an important and integral defensive player on the Canucks (at least he was) This hit happened in January. Willie was out for the rest of the season and almost didn't make it back into the NHL. Malkin did not get suspended for a few reasons 1) Malkin is a star and you can't suspend your stars, 2) Willie isn't a star so the NHL doesn't give a damn if he becomes a quad, 3) Colin Campbell sucks donkey balls...not a real reason but the other 2 are valid.

IMO what Malkin did is 10x worse than what the ass hat coach did, especially since Willie was actually injured. Both morons are professionals and Malkin is way more influential than that coach since little kids are idolizing him and want to shape how they play like him.

To draw a closer parallel to the NFL situation, if a player on the bench stuck his stick out onto the ice or stuck his elbow out and interferred with a player the NHL would probably do jack squat about it. If a non-player did it I bet there would be hell to pay. How is it any worse who does it? It is the deed itself which should determine the punishment not the person performing the deed. Make the punish equal to all or don't bother doing anything.

If it was a NFL player who tripped the dude I bet he wouldn't be punished nearly as harshly and I bet his fine would be 30% lighter cause heaven forbid we actually take money away from the people who can afford to pay it.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten