Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Looking for software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786

    Looking for software

    I am looking for software (Free) to check out my pc. It is really getting worse.

    Probably something I can boot off a cd.

    PC is virus/spyware free. Already checked.

    Any by getting worse I mean sometimes it does not load into the desktop or freezes while signing in.

  2. #2
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Like something to check the hardware.

  3. #3
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    slave the HDD and do a scan disk? Also while the drive is hooked up to the other comp ya could use the free stuff the makers of the drives like Seagate make to test the drive?

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    slave the HDD and do a scan disk? Also while the drive is hooked up to the other comp ya could use the free stuff the makers of the drives like Seagate make to test the drive?
    Ya going to try the HD manufacturer again.

    Running Bart's Stuff test....found possible data corruption.

  6. #6
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Ya going to try the HD manufacturer again.

    Running Bart's Stuff test....found possible data corruption.
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

  7. #7
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Reps sent.

  8. #8
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Ah UBCD, forgot about that.

  9. #9
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Thanks Mno.

  10. #10
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Used UBCD and test the:

    HD - Nothing
    Memory - Nothing

    CPU ? Not sure if that is even an issue

    Don't see anything to test the MB with.

    I did get a Bios checksum error on boot up the day after thanksgiving.

  11. #11
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Used UBCD and test the:

    HD - Nothing
    Memory - Nothing

    CPU ? Not sure if that is even an issue

    Don't see anything to test the MB with.

    I did get a Bios checksum error on boot up the day after thanksgiving.
    update bios? Reset it by removing batt for a while? is it clean?

  12. #12
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    update bios? Reset it by removing batt for a while? is it clean?
    did not do anything yet. Maybe next weekend I will take a look.

  13. #13
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,900
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    I did get a Bios checksum error on boot up the day after thanksgiving.
    Could just be the batter getting old and needing replacement.
    "system check" software...I've never had faith in them, they waste your time and give random results. I've seen them report something wrong on healthy PCs, and more often..simply not find anything wrong with PCs that do have hardware issues.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  14. #14
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Could just be the batter getting old and needing replacement.
    "system check" software...I've never had faith in them, they waste your time and give random results. I've seen them report something wrong on healthy PCs, and more often..simply not find anything wrong with PCs that do have hardware issues.
    Maybe I should just scrap the desktop.

  15. #15
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,900
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    Maybe I should just scrap the desktop.
    What are your issues? How old is it?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  16. #16
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Froze right up when I logged in.... You know when the welcome sound plays.

  17. #17
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Should I update the bios?

  18. #18
    Senior Member loop2kil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    5,230
    CD, How do the Caps on the motherboard look? Any swollen, leaky?

  19. #19
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    CD, How do the Caps on the motherboard look? Any swollen, leaky?
    Good question. Will have to take a look at that.

  20. #20
    Certified SG Addict CableDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    26,786
    Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    CD, How do the Caps on the motherboard look? Any swollen, leaky?
    Well, I am seeing two caps on the MB that have expanded a little and have very small leaks on them.

    The thing that pisses me off is I just bought memory for this thing. If I buy I new board, then will my memory work?

    Maybe I should know this already, but I am clueless when it comes to boards.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •