Thread: Setting up an access point and N and G questions over LAN

Question Setting up an access point and N and G questions over LAN

Howdy all,
    I live in a 3 apt house where we all share wireless from the 3rd floor apt. It's a DSL connection, over a G router. I am on the bottom floor, and cannot use my Skype phone, nor PS3 or Xbox. I have run a 100ft Cat6 cable from the top apt to ours. I would like to install an access point down here to use my Skype phone (which has no port, only wifi), and wire my PC, and other stuff to the access point. I have bought a Netgear WNR2000 (recerted from Tigerdirect for $20) to serve as the access point. My question is this: Should I use the N router as the access point to better serve my apt, or switch it for the G router upstairs and use the G router in my apt? Here are the two setups I'm imagining:

Modem wired to G router wired to N access Point which is wired to PC, 360 and PS3, and wirelessly connected to Skype phone and Laptop.

Or...

Modem wired to N router wired to G access Point which is wired to PC, 360 and PS3, and wirelessly connected to Skype phone and Laptop.

Intuitively, I feel like having the N right at the beginning of things would prevent a bottleneck, but I don't know if because I am wiring it to the Access point if it matters. Does the N or G matter if it's an access point? Would I be better off getting another N router so the whole system is N?
    Also, if you need the Router model number, I can ask my neighbor and update. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    Alex

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The "N" router is most likely a newer router, faster CPU, more RAM, much better QoS abilities...I'd want that at the edge. And the "N" might even cover your ground floor well, I've had my "N" router in 2x 3 story houses and have full good performance in all areas of my home. Matter of fact right now I'm on the top floor of my home, router down in my server cabinet in the basement 2 floors down.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yes!

This is what I figured. I've already run the cable though, so I might as well set up the access point. So I'll give him my N and take his G. Lastly, does the band rating have anything to do with wired connections? Or is it passthrough to the modem? Thanks for the reply!
    Cheers,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by withalligators View Post
    Lastly, does the band rating have anything to do with wired connections?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Wireless clients are bridged to wired LAN clients..just like they're all on one big switch.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

What I mean is, is there any performance difference between a PC wired to a G router as opposed to an N router? I understand that wirelessly there can be big differences, but if it's hard wired, does the N or G rating matter? I'm only curious at this point. Also, I've read the WNR2000 v2 router can be flashed with DD-WRT. People seem to love it. I know nothing about it. Should I install it you think?
    Cheers,
    Alex

Wups,
    Nevermind. So, it turns out his G router is also his modem. So, it looks like I'll be putting the N as the AP. Oh well. Thanks anyway,
    Cheers,
    Alex

What I mean is, is there any performance difference between a PC wired to a G router as opposed to an N router? I understand that wirelessly there can be big differences, but if it's hard wired, does the N or G rating matter? I'm only curious at this point. Also, I've read the WNR2000 v2 router can be flashed with DD-WRT. People seem to love it. I know nothing about it. Should I install it you think?
    Cheers,
    Alex
    If you're transferring files between a wired PC and a wireless PC...since "N" is faster than "G", files will transfer from PC to PC quicker...as N will get closer to wired speeds as far a transfers go, G maxes out only around 18-20 megs in real life.

Yeah DD-WRT is pretty cool, lotsa features.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

To set this up as an access point, should I give it it's own SSID and channel? Or can I use the same as the upstairs router so it's on the same network? Is that possible?

You should have a new SSID.

To set this up as an access point, should I give it it's own SSID and channel? Or can I use the same as the upstairs router so it's on the same network? Is that possible?
    Also, I think you need to disable your router's DHCP server. And you must plug the ethernet cable into a LAN port, not the WAN port.

Good Luck!

You can use the same SSID but use a different channel. Use channel 1, for example on the router and 11 on the access point.
    The router should have DHCP enabled. Disable DHCP on the access point.

Having the same, or a different SSID, is your choice. If you want to move around all floors of the house, it's easier to make them both the same SSID...for a sort of roaming feature. If you want a wireless network for someone else in the house and a different one for your own (dunno any reason why you would, but)...make them different.

Put 1 on channel 1 and the other on channel 11 (or 6).

On your "second" router, disable its DHCP, and make sure its LAN IP is in the same range as the primary router, but outside of the DHCP pool of the primary router.
    Example...if the primary router has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1, make your access point something like 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.245..that way you can manage both.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

connecting two access points and a router

Quote Originally Posted by lenwest View Post
    You can use the same SSID but use a different channel. Use channel 1, for example on the router and 11 on the access point.
    The router should have DHCP enabled. Disable DHCP on the access point.
    My problem is that I have a router connected to an access point but coverage its giving is not enough I want add an access point to make two access points how I do that please help fast I'm in a hot seat