Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead laptop thread

Dead laptop thread

Won't do anything short of flash lights and spin the hdd. The screen never shows a single thing.

Should that go in the hardware or software forum?

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Won't do anything short of flash lights and spin the hdd. The screen never shows a single thing.

Should that go in the hardware or software forum?
    Can you hook up a external monitor to it? Might be the power inverter in the laptop's screen itself.

If the external monitor does not show any signal from the laptop, the cpu may be damaged, especially if you are not getting any post beeps.

What kind of laptop is it, and what kind of video card is inside, could you post that as well.

HP dv6000, Vista, not sure what NVIDEA card but could find out.

No beeps at all, not even trying to post.

Looks like a bunch of threads about this being a *now* known issue with that model.
    http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7587_102-311738.html

http://gizmodo.com/5023963/inquirer-...s-ready-to-die

Should I try this?

HOW TO FIX YOUR DV6000/DV9000/DV2000

All the Problems described in the previous posts are Graphics Related..
    Faulty Nvidia Chip..Both Intel And AMD Based Motherboards..Though More Common on the AMD..

The symptoms of the Laptop Powering on and Shutting Off Repeatedly..Or.. Powering On and Having No Video...Or... Power Strip Lights Up, Beeps,Shuts Down...Or..No Power At All...Or.. Intermittant Loss Of Wireless/Video Goes In And Out/Touchpad Slows and Freezes..

To Fix this issue, You will need to Reflow The Graphics Chip.

I will Explain In Full Detail As To The Correct Method Below....

HP DV6000/DV2000/DV9000 Compaq v2000 Video Chip Reflow Instructions

First Step Is Complete Disassembly Of All Parts And Components..
    Remove RAM, Remove CPU, Of Course Remove Heatsink and Fan assembly.

Next Step is Insulating the Motherboard... You need to Protect The CPU area, The RAM area, Cover any plastic Plug ports.

Try to leave 1/4 inch area around the edge of the chip free of insulation.

To Insulate the Board.. I use thick pieces of Tin/Aluminum, you can fold up some aluminum foil (tin foil) About 4 folds thickness....

Now that you have your Motherboard Insulated... Make Sure There's Nothing Flamable Or Burnable Below the Motherboard... it will get quite hot underneath.

You will need a Heat Gun.. You can get one of these at your Local Home Improvement Store, they cost about $15 - $30.. You Will Use ONLY the LOW Heat Setting... I REPEAT..... USE ONLY THE LOW HEAT SETTING ....

Next You Will Need Some Coins.. Yes Coins..
    8 Quarters and 2 Nickels... Put the 2 Nickels On the Bottom and Stack Quarters On Top...
    Place The Stack Of 2 Nickels And 8 Quarters On Top Of The Graphics Chip...

The Reason for using the Coins: Using the coins serves a few purposes...
    1) It Helps Transfers the heat Into The Chip More Evenly/Slowly
    2) It Helps Hold The Heat Longer/Then Helps To Cool Slower
    3) It Gives The Correct Amount Of Weight That Is Needed To Press The Chip

A Thing To Look Out For...

Hewlett Packard is nutorious for using the RED epoxy around the edge of the Graphics chip.. this epoxy is used to help secure the chip to the motherboard...
    This is a process that is Hand Done at the Factory.. And Some Boards Will Have Only A Little Amount of this, Some Will Have Alot of it...And Some are Only Done On The Corner Edges....

If There Is Alot of This On Your Chip, You Might End Up Needing To Carefully (REAL CAREFULLY) Remove as much of this epoxy as able to....You can use a Razor Blade To Lightly Scrape This Off... DO NOT MISS AND SCRATCH THE MOTHERBOARD!!! Go SLOW...

Now Comes The Heating Of The Chip...

Start With The Heat Gun About 6 Inches Away From The Top Of The Quarter Stack..You want to be holding the gun at a 45% angle.. Aim the heat at the Edge of the chip, You Will Start Rotating Around the Chip- around the outer edge of the chip...then use tighter circles concentrating on the quarter stack, then after about 30-40 seconds, slowly move closer to the chip...
    Never Move the Heat Gun Closer than the Top Of Your Coin Stack...Then Pull It Back And Slowly Repeat.. The Chip Needs To Get Hot Enough To Re-Melt The Solder Balls On The Underside Of The Graphics Chip Back Down To The Contact Pads On the Motherboard.. and this takes Quite Alot of heating to Do.... You Must Not OVERHEAT the CHip... It Is Best To Underheat it and have to Redo.. than to overheat.. It will cause the solder to break down and even crack/split.. causing failure forever...
    This process will take about 3 minutes total.. Once you shut off the Heat Gun.. Leave The Stack of Coins On The Chip And Let Sit For Another 5 minutes..

Now Remove The Coins(carefull they might still be hot)
    Remove All Insulation.. Reinstall RAM, CPU, Heatsink and FAN Assembly (and Of Course Thermal Pads or Paste.. Note:. If Paste Is Used.. It Must Be Silver Paste...

Now You Can Connect The Power Button Strip/ Video Cable And The DC Jack Cable.... And Plug In AC adapter .. You're Now Ready To Test For Solid Power and Video....
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-1...n-black-screen

There is a class action lawsuit about this issue, I have had numerous clients with this issue. PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email I was sent about it so you can see if you qualify.

PM sent, thanks.

So...laptop is toast, eh?

HDD should still be good though?

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    There is a class action lawsuit about this issue, I have had numerous clients with this issue. PM me your email address and I'll forward you the email I was sent about it so you can see if you qualify.

Oh wait! This is the one with the defective Nvidia GPU ? I seen a few people, even my boss that had that issue!

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=271930

I tried the heatgun thing on a couple of different laptops...It worked on all of them but was only temporary as it went back out a couple months later.
    Last edited by loop2kil; 11-13-10 at 11:49 AM.

I have a USB external hard drive enclosure trini lent me which works fine w/ my desktop hdds. Would a laptop hdd work in it also or do I need some kind of adapter.

Would the adapter only be needed if I was trying to hook the drive directly to my desktop?

Thanks

Exact same issue the xbox 360 had!

I have a USB external hard drive enclosure trini lent me which works fine w/ my desktop hdds. Would a laptop hdd work in it also or do I need some kind of adapter.

Would the adapter only be needed if I was trying to hook the drive directly to my desktop?

Thanks

Anyone?
    I'm guessing since I have a 3.5" enclosure I'd need a 2.5"

Not sure if I can find one around here (no real computer stores) but any reason an adapter wouldn't let me use a laptop hdd in a 3.5" external USB enclosure?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    Exact same issue the xbox 360 had!
    Saw mention of that in the various threads I found addressing re-flowing the video card.

do yourself a favor and get a used ibm T60. ibms are easy to take apart to replace parts and the last forever!

I got a used T40 thats 7 years old and still going strong. put a faster processor 1.5ghz to a 1.8ghz with 2 meg cash, put a new 250 gig ide wd hard drive and a new 8 cell battery that lasts 3-4 hours. It runs windows 7 Pro very well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    do yourself a favor and get a used ibm T60. ibms are easy to take apart to replace parts and the last forever!

I got a used T40 thats 7 years old and still going strong. put a faster processor 1.5ghz to a 1.8ghz with 2 meg cash, put a new 250 gig ide wd hard drive and a new 8 cell battery that lasts 3-4 hours. It runs windows 7 Pro very well!
    Will keep that in mind for myself, thanks.

Not my computer.

Belongs to a friend who is slightly more computer aware than my parents.

Hello?

Anyone?
    I'm guessing since I have a 3.5" enclosure I'd need a 2.5"

Not sure if I can find one around here (no real computer stores) but any reason an adapter wouldn't let me use a laptop hdd in a 3.5" external USB enclosure?

Thanks

i have a few of these, they work great

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153071

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    i have a few of these, they work great

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153071
    That looks like a useful one Mark, thanks for the link.

Not sure if I'm dealing w/ SATA yet or not, will probably pick up the dead laptop tomorrow night and start going about recovering the data once I know what I'm dealing with.

Almost all the enclosure's I'm seeing are SATA though.

Did you end up getting and using a heat gun? If not I had an idea....set it between your sister's legs for a while. Should get the same effect....................
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.

Quote Originally Posted by triniwasp View Post
    Did you end up getting and using a heat gun? If not I had an idea....set it between your sister's legs for a while. Should get the same effect....................
    Speaking of thighs, how bad did that guy's beard chap yours?

[broken record]

Thanks
    [/broken record]