Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No legalized pot in California

Unhappy No legalized pot in California

Unfortunately it did not pass. They are blaming it on the recent press releases by the Feds saying they would still prosecute. It's too bad because I think it would have been a positive step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Unfortunately it did not pass. They are blaming it on the recent press releases by the Feds saying they would still prosecute. It's too bad because I think it would have been a positive step in the right direction.
    I saw that,it should have passed,

IMO it should be the same as alcohol laws,21 & over,DUI,etc,etc.

Yeah, I really think they missed the boat on this one.

I don't think people really ever took the whole taxation/benefit argument in the direction it should have gone. Who cares if they tax it at 10%,20%,75%. People are going to grow it at home. They are not going to go to State sponsored stores. Instead of supporting a State/City sponsored store and directing the money into a very narrow revenue stream they would be taking the money they saved by growing it themselves and spending it at their local mall, restaurant, movie theatre etc. This way the money is spread throughout the community benefiting everyone, not just a seedy State/City sponsered store.

Certified SG Addict
    People are all for liberty until it crosses some illogical moral line.

Good!!

It was closer than I thought, give it a couple more tries and I'll bet it passes.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    It was closer than I thought, give it a couple more tries and I'll bet it passes.
    It's just a matter of time. I just hope people come to their senses before too long.

I thought that this bill would surely pass. If the people of California were stupid enough to vote Boxer and Brown back in, I thought for sure that Prop 19 would go through.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

I only know one smoker that voted for it. They all thought it was written poorly and some of the things were too general.

Yeah, I really think they missed the boat on this one.

I don't think people really ever took the whole taxation/benefit argument in the direction it should have gone. Who cares if they tax it at 10%,20%,75%. People are going to grow it at home. They are not going to go to State sponsored stores. Instead of supporting a State/City sponsored store and directing the money into a very narrow revenue stream they would be taking the money they saved by growing it themselves and spending it at their local mall, restaurant, movie theatre etc. This way the money is spread throughout the community benefiting everyone, not just a seedy State/City sponsered store.
    what defeated it in part was was the legal pot dispensary people ,they were afraid it would lower the pricing of weed,so they voted against it.

Uninsured for your health
    A coworker had said something about somehow losing MediCal if it had passed, not really sure how it would of happened...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Quote Originally Posted by De Plano View Post
    I only know one smoker that voted for it. They all thought it was written poorly and some of the things were too general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    what defeated it in part was was the legal pot dispensary people ,they were afraid it would lower the pricing of weed,so they voted against it.
    Trini mentioned something about how badly it was written as well.
    Something about addressing the rights of pot-smoking workers instead of leaving it an issue between employers and employees.

And yeah, I'm not surprised the dispensary folks voted against it...I assume a lot of local growers did as well. It affects their income.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Good!!
    Do you drink?

I can't believe the scare tactics about workplace use would be so convincing to so many people.

I work around people who are driving trucks and heavy machinery all day. If for the slightest moment I thought one of them was high and a danger not only to themselves but others... I would immediately stop and cease all tasks that person was involved in. It's BS to think that someone who is high at work has the same rights as someone who isn't. Just another scare tactic to make you believe every person involved in manual labor is high and thinking about raping your daughter.

I can't believe the scare tactics about workplace use would be so convincing to so many people.

I work around people who are driving trucks and heavy machinery all day. If for the slightest moment I thought one of them was high and a danger not only to themselves but others... I would immediately stop and cease all tasks that person was involved in. It's BS to think that someone who is high at work has the same rights as someone who isn't. Just another scare tactic to make you believe every person involved in manual labor is high and thinking about raping your daughter.
    yep ! half the country has a 2 martini lunch. but that's ok

If we are going to let McDonalds peddle their tasty hamburgs of death then people should be able to smoke pot legally as well.

I don't smoke myself, but this illegal pot thing is just a waste of time and money. Let people smoke and let's just get on with our lives.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I would have thought, after 30 years, this would have passed. I guess the prime time just hasn't sunk in yet. Give it 5 years and I bet it will and I bet other states follow suit too.

I know around here, people are fed up with hearing about pot busts when there are more serious crime going on. It's like 68% of population here, smoke dope.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Have to get the issue resolved at the federal level and then move to the state level. Especially with Eric Holder being the AG.

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    ...people are fed up with hearing about pot busts when there are more serious crime going on.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

One of the issues was getting up to seven years for smoking "in the presence of a minor" (going from memory so that is probably not a direct quote). While I agree smoking around kids is bad they left it up to a judge to decide what presence constitued. Would that be iin the same room? Same house? Same property? Same apartment complex (in Marin they tried/did make it illegal to smoke in your own apartment)?