Thread: Warning: Windows 7 and Vista users - Unknown Windows Update

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Warning: Windows 7 and Vista users - Unknown Windows Update

Seems there is a lot of talk about this past tuesday's Windows update. Some say that it is a "beta" bulletin which is weird, there no description on what this bullitin is yet. Also from what I read, you can not uninstall it.

Some talk over on one of the Microsoft forums.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...1-35b45467446d

I'm holding off until I find out what it is.

Ya partymarty seems to have it answered.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ya partymarty seems to have it answered.

Blog Entries
    Actually no, he did not..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Vista had the service pack 1 update readiness tool...this Windows 7 tool states "Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed."

Sounds quite similar to the Veester tool.

MS doesn't have it documented much yet..."oops"..I'm sure they'll get it out there.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Vista had the service pack 1 update readiness tool...this Windows 7 tool states "Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed."

Sounds quite similar to the Veester tool.

MS doesn't have it documented much yet..."oops"..I'm sure they'll get it out there.
    Well YOSC, .. that's basically it, because it's strange that it takes a "day" to update one web page.. just with a description. The KB is all over the internet, and I find it hard to believe that MS has not heard of it yet.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Interoffice coordination hiccup....yup.
    My guess is.....the update got released to the pool before actual official release date. (kinda like a WSUS approval) Cuz if you think about it, it's several months early.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

What date did this come out?

Blog Entries
    On 10-25 (Patch Tuesday)

Well, I did not install this on my Wife's Windows 7 computer, and now when I look at Windows Updates, it is not listed. Seems like they pulled the update.
    I checked the windows update history and do not see that KB 976902 was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Actually no, he did not..
    This isn't SP1 or beta software or even malware (perplexed9, use some common sense). It's an update that readies the system for when the service pack is released. This occured with the service packs for Vista too.
    This is the Servicing Stack update. The servicing stack is the Windows component which handles the installation of Updates, Features in the Control Panel and the installation of Service Packs.
    This updated version is needed to install the Final Version of the Service Pack 1!
    the System Update Readiness Tool is different from this update

I still like partymarty's and Ziegler's answers. Odds are we will see an update with the readiness or servicing stack mentioned in the description soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    On 10-25 (Patch Tuesday)

Well, I did not install this on my Wife's Windows 7 computer, and now when I look at Windows Updates, it is not listed. Seems like they pulled the update.
    I checked the windows update history and do not see that KB 976902 was installed.
    My man, Patch Tuesday was 10/12/10

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/976902

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/10/d...ckhole-update/
    From the above link

On Tuesday Microsoft released KB 976902 to customers of Windows 7 through Windows Update. This update was pre-maturely released in English and the KB article had not been published yet. We are in the process of releasing the KB Article so users have more information about the update. This update is a Servicing Stack Update, which can’t be uninstalled. The update will be released at a later date, and it will be required to ensure compatibility with some future updates.

If you have already installed the update, there is no action required – there is no impact from the update being on your system. We apologize for any confusion this update may have caused.

Also, for extra context – Microsoft did a similar update when we were about to release the SP1 beta (what’s known as a “service stack” update – it helps the OS recognize and work better with the service pack code). As things like a service pack in development hit new milestones (i.e. we just hit RC, before that it was beta), the service stack update gets updated. That’s why folks don’t need to worry about removing it
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/976902

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/10/d...ckhole-update/
    From the above link

On Tuesday Microsoft released KB 976902 to customers of Windows 7 through Windows Update. This update was pre-maturely released in English and the KB article had not been published yet. We are in the process of releasing the KB Article so users have more information about the update. This update is a Servicing Stack Update, which can’t be uninstalled. The update will be released at a later date, and it will be required to ensure compatibility with some future updates.

If you have already installed the update, there is no action required – there is no impact from the update being on your system. We apologize for any confusion this update may have caused.

Also, for extra context – Microsoft did a similar update when we were about to release the SP1 beta (what’s known as a “service stack” update – it helps the OS recognize and work better with the service pack code). As things like a service pack in development hit new milestones (i.e. we just hit RC, before that it was beta), the service stack update gets updated. That’s why folks don’t need to worry about removing it
    Yes the did release the KB Article. And patch is still pulled from Windows Update. "Uh we release a patch to early, let take it out of Windows update, then update the KB article for everyone, and then leave it out of Windows update for now." just awesome..

Thank god I didn't do anything with 7.

I have yet to see anyone complain that it broke something in windows 7. I let it install and as far as I can tell everything still works the way it did before it installed. The fact that you couldn't un-install it seemed to get every bodies nickers in a bind. Now that I know what it is and what its for I'm content to just leave it be.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.