Thread: Generic Host Process for Win 32... Help! Can't find solution to the problem!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Generic Host Process for Win 32... Help! Can't find solution to the problem!

I think I have encountered this problem for about a week or so now and Ive tried MANY different solutions but non works for me! The computer is a Windows XP 32 bit (I think) laptop. I need to fix it ASAP because Im forcing my computer to shut down by holding the turn off button and I know it's not good for the computer.

symptoms of the problem:
    • I receive both the Generic and Win32 error, but never at the same time.
    • After receiving the message for either, no matter what I click, the computer, especially internet, will freeze. The tabs and everything will be frozen. Wait a few minuets, EVERYTHING (icons, tabs, etc will disappear leaving only my background and the mouse. At this point I am forced to shut down.
    • However if I don't click on anything and just leave the message at a corner the computer still works.
    • I receive a svchost.exe in Internet Explorer internet and Win32 at Firefox, but the svchost.exe error even appear in SafeMode, but no sighs of Win32 in SafeMode so far.

Error signatures:
    The error signature for Win 32 is:
    szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : urlmon.dll
    szModVer : 8.0.6001.18939 offset : 0002df6e

(if you copy and paste this whole thing to google there is only ONE other result. Is it a difficult error?)

What the svchost.exe Application error says:
    The instruction at "0x7c923845" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

What I have already tried with no result:

• Downloading the Microsoft Update from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391. But my computer says the update I have is newer then the one I'm trying to download so it didnt download.
    • Did the Registry thing where you change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM and SOFTWARE but my values are already correct
    • Doing the "Run" and winsock thing. Didn't help either
    • I have no printer/scanner attached to this laptop.
    • Scanned for virus with MalwareBytes' in SafeMode, came out clean, and scanning Trend Micro too but I think it'll come out clean as well.

Please help me before I throw the computer out of the window
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ComputerNoob; 10-20-10 at 07:28 PM.