Thread: Generic Host Process for Win 32... Help! Can't find solution to the problem!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Generic Host Process for Win 32... Help! Can't find solution to the problem!

I think I have encountered this problem for about a week or so now and Ive tried MANY different solutions but non works for me! The computer is a Windows XP 32 bit (I think) laptop. I need to fix it ASAP because Im forcing my computer to shut down by holding the turn off button and I know it's not good for the computer.

symptoms of the problem:
    • I receive both the Generic and Win32 error, but never at the same time.
    • After receiving the message for either, no matter what I click, the computer, especially internet, will freeze. The tabs and everything will be frozen. Wait a few minuets, EVERYTHING (icons, tabs, etc will disappear leaving only my background and the mouse. At this point I am forced to shut down.
    • However if I don't click on anything and just leave the message at a corner the computer still works.
    • I receive a svchost.exe in Internet Explorer internet and Win32 at Firefox, but the svchost.exe error even appear in SafeMode, but no sighs of Win32 in SafeMode so far.

Error signatures:
    The error signature for Win 32 is:
    szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : urlmon.dll
    szModVer : 8.0.6001.18939 offset : 0002df6e

(if you copy and paste this whole thing to google there is only ONE other result. Is it a difficult error?)

What the svchost.exe Application error says:
    The instruction at "0x7c923845" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

What I have already tried with no result:

• Downloading the Microsoft Update from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391. But my computer says the update I have is newer then the one I'm trying to download so it didnt download.
    • Did the Registry thing where you change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM and SOFTWARE but my values are already correct
    • Doing the "Run" and winsock thing. Didn't help either
    • I have no printer/scanner attached to this laptop.
    • Scanned for virus with MalwareBytes' in SafeMode, came out clean, and scanning Trend Micro too but I think it'll come out clean as well.

Please help me before I throw the computer out of the window
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ComputerNoob; 10-20-10 at 07:28 PM.

What happens when you try to turn it off? I'm assuming it crashes? It sounds like a virus to me.

You're best of starting to run a full system scan, some virus disguise themselves as a svchost.exe in the task manager... So run windows in safemode, download Avast! and install it, run a full system scan, and leave it be for a few hours. It will scan everything. I did this recently, and my computer is clean (most probably because it hasn't been used all year. Lol)

Alternatively, you can system restore it to when it was last working, but NOTE: THIS IS ERASE ALL NEW FILES YOU HAVE SAVED SINCE THAT DATE!!!!
    -- After the system restore run a virus scan, I use Avast, hence why I suggest it. But there are alot of good scanners out there.

Thumbs up Generic Host Process for Win32

Hi friend,

I had same problem with all systems in my office. I tried lot of solutions but does not worked out for me anything. I got a tool which can remove this problem
    I really dont know how to attach it in this forum

But let me explain you about the tool.Its worked for me perfectly.

Its a batch file called GHRemoval . just run the tool and restart it. problem solved

-Sherry