Thread: hard drive imaging software

hard drive imaging software

Ok i got hit again with that dam browser hijacker virus that is out there, and Iam pretty sick and tired of taking a couple of days to rebuild my whole system. What software do you recommend to make an image of the hardrive, as store it on the wd external hardrive that i have, It would be great if it re imaged every night, back ups are fine but you still have a lot of work to get it up and running.
    this equipment list isnt current please ignore MSI kt7 133amobo,AMD Athalon 1Ghz g3Ti200 Pro td 128, 1gig pc133, 2 40gig hd, wireless network,dlink,HP Photsmart 7150,Kodak easyshare ls433 camera,Dazzle dvd creation station 200...... windows XP sp1+more to follow

What OS?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The software that the hard drive manufacturer offers on their website for free, both Seagate and WD use a special version of Acronis True Image. Installs via Windows, so no need for burning a CD. Nice and easy and free!

Windows 7 Backup also does images...and you can keep updating.

What antivirus are you using? Browser? Do you keep your java and flash updated?
    If it's the common browser jacker based on the Olmarik trojan, that cleans up pretty well with todays tools (also need combofix)...so you don't have to format/reinstall.

Also set your routers DNS to use OpenDNS servers instead of your ISPs DNS servers. OpenDNS filters out known malware distribution sites, keeping you a bit safer.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Windows 7 Backup also does images...and you can keep updating.

windows XP . I will have to look into WD website for that. It is the browser highjack that changes the first three returns on google results.....I cleared it once before but this time it realy got me good. I have avast antivirus which caught it, but i think it was a multiple hit jest a few ms apart. Combofix fixed it last time but not this time. Windows lock me out , as it was protecting me thanks alot. and i do believe everything was upto date Think i might look into apple they seem bot to have these problems
    this equipment list isnt current please ignore MSI kt7 133amobo,AMD Athalon 1Ghz g3Ti200 Pro td 128, 1gig pc133, 2 40gig hd, wireless network,dlink,HP Photsmart 7150,Kodak easyshare ls433 camera,Dazzle dvd creation station 200...... windows XP sp1+more to follow

Quote Originally Posted by slacker361 View Post
    windows XP . I will have to look into WD website for that. It is the browser highjack that changes the first three returns on google results.....I cleared it once before but this time it realy got me good. I have avast antivirus which caught it, but i think it was a multiple hit jest a few ms apart. Combofix fixed it last time but not this time. Windows lock me out , as it was protecting me thanks alot. and i do believe everything was upto date Think i might look into apple they seem bot to have these problems
    Your going to have to clean better than you have, Avast does good when using a bootscan and updated but you will need something like malwarebytes, superantispyware, ccleaner, turn off system restore before doing all of this. Then check your browser network settings to ensure it didn't proxy set. I don't know of any single product free or paid that will clean everything...so you need to run those I listed in steps. Then go back make sure your fully updated on everything from MS updates to Adobe flash player updates, java etc..