Thread: remove novell

remove novell

Im not sure if this is the right area for this question. I have an hp that was used by work. It has a network novell on it. How can I format the harddrive to remove what work has stored on cpu. I have a username and password to get into windows, but I want to use this computer for home use. Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You mean just the Novell network client and IXP protocols....as in this computer was a workstation/client on a Novell network? Or was it a "server" running Novell Netware, and it doesn't have Windows on it?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yes. You are right. I have the windows 7 professional disks that was shipped with the cpu. I have the cpu booting from the dvd drive now. I put the 1st disk in and it copied the files, but when I get to the second disk it is asking for windows 7 home basic disks. I dont know if there is a way to get around this and just install the professional or if I have to have basic on it first. I appreciate your help. So thank you.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Which one am I correct on....that it's a workstation..with the Novell client installed onto a Windows machine? Or...that it was a "server"..and it does not have Windows on it at all, just Novell Netware server which is useless as a workstation?

What is the make/model computer?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Its a hp compaq 8000 elite. It boots up and then a splash screen says admin. hp software installation. Then the dvd tray opens and asks for the windows 7 basic restore disks. All I have is the windows 7 professional disks. So it willnot work.

It sounds like this computer is a mess...it doesn't have a functional windows on it and it may or may not have Novell client software, but it doesn't sound like it was a Novell server. If you want to be 100% sure it works right, I'd boot it up from the Win7 Pro disks you have, delete the existing partition and install Win7 fresh. You certainly don't need any Novell stuff on it, and if it once had Win7 basic, you'd be better off with Win7 pro.