Thread: Problem HP Deskjet 6940 Printer-ASUS WL-500gP V2 wireless router

Blog Entries

Problem HP Deskjet 6940 Printer-ASUS WL-500gP V2 wireless router

Hi to all

Looking for help with this problem please.

I have an XP Pro desktop and a Win7 Laptop and wish to be able to share my HP Deskjet 6940 Printer, so i purchased a ASUS WL-500gP V2 wireless router. Setup went fine for the router part, however when trying to install my printer it fails to recognize it. It seems it doesn't support it?

As i am a complete cherry at this my questions maybe totally off base, however here i go.

Does anyone have any experience with this or answers to it? A workaround of some kind perhaps.

It appears that the ASUS is compatible with dd-wrt using dd-wrt.v24_mini_asus.trx [dd-wrt.com]
    dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin [dd-wrt.com]? From what i have Googled.

Would flashing this to dd-wrt allow it to work with the HP Printer in question or should i simply try to find another router to do the job.?

Any & all help will be most appreciated.

---

Thanks as always

minir

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Hi Larry,

Are you able to install the printer via USB cable to your laptop..via the standard install routine? Once that is done, you can usually change the printer port to a TCP/IP printer and plug in the IP address of the routers internal IP. This is done via the tab in the printers properties. The router itself doesn't have to have the drivers installed, it's a matter of configuring the port on the computer side..telling the computer where to send the print jobs...like an old parallel port, a USB port...or a TCP/IP port.

If you get totally lost on this, I'm willing to help you remotely over the weekend.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Brian my friend nice to see you.

Have not tried that but will give it a go. Thanks so much.

Will keep you updated.

Hope all is well with you & yours.

regards

Larry

====

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Hi Larry,

Are you able to install the printer via USB cable to your laptop..via the standard install routine? Once that is done, you can usually change the printer port to a TCP/IP printer and plug in the IP address of the routers internal IP. This is done via the tab in the printers properties. The router itself doesn't have to have the drivers installed, it's a matter of configuring the port on the computer side..telling the computer where to send the print jobs...like an old parallel port, a USB port...or a TCP/IP port.

If you get totally lost on this, I'm willing to help you remotely over the weekend.

Blog Entries
    YeOldeStonecat

Sorry to have been so long in replying to you and giving an update Brian. Unfortunately i had an uncle pass, 94yrs. and not totally unexpected, but unfortunately a cousin 48yrs. went the following day from a brain anurism so i have been busy with the sad business of taking my Ma and myself to the services involved.

That said i appreciate all your advise and help. It Worked by golly.

Always a pleasure my friend.

Thanks so much

Larry