Thread: Optical Illusion to slow traffic?

Optical Illusion to slow traffic?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...dEmbedTooEarly

Officials in Vancouver, British Columbia have placed an optical illusion on the ground meant to slow down fast drivers. As you drive up, the hologram takes shape into a girl who's chased her ball into traffic. It's part of a pilot project encouraging drivers to observe the school speed limit.

I really don't know if I think this is a good idea.... if your driving up at even the speed limit of 15 at least in the US of a school zone, someone might flip out and turn at the last min to miss what you think you see in the road thus driving off the road and hitting someone or something.

Next on the News at 10, school girl run over, driver thought she was just painted on the road.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    It’s good to slow people down where kids are but soon as they flip out and smash another car while they were trying to avoid the girl or somebody runs over a real kid thinking it was just a painting in the road, they might rethink the idea.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

There was a vid of a fake speed bump going around some time ago, it realy pissed some people off.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Next on the News at 10, school girl run over, driver thought she was just painted on the road.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Looks like a good idea. It's not like the illusion makes it appear as if the girl is standing straight up in front of you popping out of nowhere. It's a gradual illusion and it looks like it could work.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Looks like a good idea. It's not like the illusion makes it appear as if the girl is standing straight up in front of you popping out of nowhere. It's a gradual illusion and it looks like it could work.
    Sure. Until people know its there and then ignore it, and then a little girl does go out in the road near it or at another school zone, gets into the "deer in headlights" pause, and gets hit because the driver thought she was just paint,

Honestly if they want to slow traffic down tear the road up and put cones everywhere.

If a driver can't tell between that optical illusion that is obviously not a real girl, and a real girl, then they should not be driving.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    If a driver can't tell between that optical illusion that is obviously not a real girl, and a real girl, then they should not be driving.
    It may seem impossible to you, but don't forget about people with poor depth perception.

Plus without seeign it in person its hard to tell how real it might look. The camera may not show it well.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    hahaha no doubt.

And I bet those holograms are gonna get damaged fast, such as chunks wearing off, which will clue drivers into realizing they aren't real...you know in case they were fooled the first time.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by *cho* View Post
    … I bet those holograms are gonna get damaged fast …
    Yep. I could ruin the perception of it by doing a burn out across it in my old Monte Carlo.

It had a hot 350 and some obnoxiously wide “M50” tires on it.

Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by *cho* View Post
    which will clue drivers into realizing they aren't real...you know in case they were fooled the first time.
    I don't think they tried to make them "real" enough to fool drivers, or to try to fool drivers. They tried to make something that would snap into view like an unexpected kid.