View Poll Results: which beef do you like better(assuming you know how to cook it properly)

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tri-tip

6 24.00%
  • Flank steak

0 0%
  • Ribeye

19 76.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which do you like better ?

which do you like better ?

Tri-Tip ?
    Flank Steak ?
    Ribeye ?

or like me,do you like all 3 equally !?

Ribeye

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Favorite is a really thick aged New York Strip, close second is ribeye/delmonico.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Fav is filet Mignon but close second is the ribeye with nice marbling.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

I'm with Jawz on this one. Can't afford the fillets, but ribeye is great. I do enjoy strips if done just right, but can't find anywhere around that makes them properly.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

IMHO sirloin has the most flavor of all beef cuts, next top sirloin, next tenderloin IF the tenderloin is angus and grain fed.

Tri-tips is actually a sirloin cut and has lots of flavor. Flank is for dogs and pets and ribeye is a waste of money.

No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    I do enjoy strips if done just right, but can't find anywhere around that makes them properly.
    That's the key with them, you'll find them often cooked too low and long. The best way is to let it get room temp, and then cook it on high high heat quickly....both sides, then let it sit low heat for short time..and then cover 'n rest.

Most big time steak lovers hold it up top on the flavor list. It, along with with flank strips, has the beefiest flavors. I like a good strong steak taste. Which is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of filets...sure it's tender as butter, but it's the mildest tasting beef.

Tri-tip is a cut that never got popular on the east coast for some reason. Have had it, only found it at the butcher (there's only 2x of those cuts per cow..so it's hard to find, often special order around here). It is good.

DelMonicos and Ribeyes...love 'em, strong on flavor, tenderness, and juiciness...gotta have them thick though...at least 1 1/2". Only cuts I like thin are the flank strips...commonly not liked because people don't know how to cook them properly, marinade, slice thin, sure it's tougher than others but again it has a strong beef taste. I like heavy beef flavor in my steaks.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

We used to have this working mans bar that made the greatist strips, serving them sizzling hot on a platter, cooked to order. They were true mouth watering, flavorful inch and a half strips. Once that placed closed, I've never been able to find a decent strip anywhere. Not even from the big name steakhouses. Even the fine dining steak places can't come close.

They had killer Hot Italian Sausage sandwiches too. I'm talking some Scoville units. Enough to make you break out in a sweat eating it. Man, they were good.

Why is it, the best of the best places, close?
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I have no interest in eating something so hot that somebody calls the fire department to put my head out.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

I voted Ribeye out of the 3 choices. For a thick steak I'm always game for a good ribeye, NY Strip, Filet, and sometimes top sirloin if it's from a good source. Supermarket top sirloin is always tougher than a good restaurant top sirloin, or at least from my experiences (I cook everything medium).

For flavor though, I have to give some props to skirt steak (Churassco). Very rich with flavor and also tender. Popular for fajitas, but I make it straight up as a steak on the grill at my house.

I'll never eat regular american flank steak again after eating it Argentinian style. The key to properly grilling flank steak is to find a butcher that leaves the layers of fat & nerve tissue around the flank. This is called "vacio" in Argentina, and it is the fat tissue surrounding the meat that makes it extra juicy and flavorful. A good size chunk can easily sit on a hot grill for over an hour, turning over frequently until all fat tissue is charred thoroughly. The meat inside should still be juicy pink and it will be far more tender than any american cut flank steak that I've eated from the grill.

Add some fresh homemade chimichurri sauce (parsley, garlic, oil/vinegar, & a few other spices) on the side and I'm in steak heaven.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    I have no interest in eating something so hot that somebody calls the fire department to put my head out.
    Ah but if that's your kind of thing, it's great!

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    I'll never eat regular american flank steak again after eating it Argentinian style. The key to properly grilling flank steak is to find a butcher that leaves the layers of fat & nerve tissue around the flank. This is called "vacio" in Argentina, and it is the fat tissue surrounding the meat that makes it extra juicy and flavorful. A good size chunk can easily sit on a hot grill for over an hour, turning over frequently until all fat tissue is charred thoroughly. The meat inside should still be juicy pink and it will be far more tender than any american cut flank steak that I've eated from the grill.

Add some fresh homemade chimichurri sauce (parsley, garlic, oil/vinegar, & a few other spices) on the side and I'm in steak heaven.
    Dude...after being exposed to the Latin flair of cooking..heck yeah it can be great. Growing up, the usual American way of trying to cook it, not good. But with some good quick marinada (aka lime juice to help break it down)..and cooking over wicked high heat...heck yeah it's a very flavorful cut of beef.

Ever see the Alton Brown episode of cooking it? Get good charcoal...get it white hot, blow off the loose ashes..and toss the flank right onto the coals? Awesome!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Definately Rib--juicy, tender, and plenty of flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Ever see the Alton Brown episode of cooking it? Get good charcoal...get it white hot, blow off the loose ashes..and toss the flank right onto the coals? Awesome!
    Sounds very interesting! I might have to try that. I always cook my baked potatoes straight on the coals (wrapped in foil of course).. start them 40 minutes before putting on any meat and turn them often. The regular potatoes will burn slightly on the outside but it makes the skin tougher and gives it a charred flavor which I like.

If you like sweet potatoes, this is my favorite way to cook them as they will burn slightly and carmelize so that they appear drenched in char-flavored yam syrup.

All this talk about good grilling and it's pouring down rain here today.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Sweet potatos are good when you slice them up about half an inch thick, steam them ten minutes, baste in oil and spices, then grill. Just make sure you cook them enough. Sweet potatos are good just about anyway you do them though.

If you have not had tri-tip you should. Normally I am not a fan of steak, but I can chow down on some tri-tip

Yeah sweet taters are a favorite in this household.....
    I do them up heavy with butter, some cinnamon, sometimes a wee pinch of nutmeg, and some maple syrup.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

personally I don't know why the flank steak got no votes,because I have made some really delicious flank & skirt steak meals.IMO they are both very tender and flavorful(if cooked right),beef is one of the hardest meats to cook correctly anyway !

I love all these meats a lot,
    tri-tip
    flank/skirt
    rib eye

I also like fowl,pork,& seafood BTW.

but like I said,I think when you reach the point as a cook of doing beef correctly,you have reached a good level of cooking ability,it has taken me many years to learn to cook beef right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    it has taken me many years to learn to cook beef right.
    And based on experience...you've become quite the master of making dry rubs...man that package you sent was delish!
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    And based on experience...you've become quite the master of making dry rubs...man that package you sent was delish!
    well,thanks very much,that's real nice of you to say.