Thread: Network+

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Network+

Soooo... I'm going to take the Network+ Exam on Sept 11, 2010. Hope I pass. It'll be another life goal accomplished. I got it while it was at a 20% discount so it only cost me $191.

Then from there Security+ and that's pretty much it for the year since every other cert has got to be renewed every 3 years. Last year for me to get these 3 as lifetime, i'm bout to get 2/3.

Feeling a bit nervous but confident.

YOU CAN DO EET!
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by PsykoPenguin View Post
    YOU CAN DO EET!
    Yes you can, Net+ was the easiest out of all the test Iíve taken.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Yea that test wasn't bad. I was studying for My CCIE but got sidetracked. That may have to be put on the back burner its pretty intense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Yes you can, Net+ was the easiest out of all the test Iíve taken.
    Yeah, I was studying for it myself and well it doesn't seem all that difficult, it's just remembering the acronyms would be the tricky part.

Sort of like the A+ and having to remember how to get to certain programs to do certain things. That was the only thing I had trouble remembering.

So I guess I'll have to just crack down on those acronyms some more and make sure I remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Yea that test wasn't bad. I was studying for My CCIE but got sidetracked. That may have to be put on the back burner its pretty intense.
    O_O sounds difficult but is it as difficult as it sounds?

--
    A+ = Check
    Network+ = Almost Check
    Security+ = Soon...
    --

Thanks for that vote of confidence and the reassurance that it wasn't as bad as originally thought.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget Linux + , needed for Penguin people

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    Don't forget Linux + , needed for Penguin people
    Isn't that renew every 3 years? It's on the list of many certs I want to acquire but not necessarily at this point and time since it's not a lifetime certification like the current ones I listed.

However if it is not I'll be acquiring that soon after but it doesn't seem to be affected by the renewal policy set by CompTIA that will require renewal of the A+, Network+ and Security+ certs if acquire Jan 1, 2011 and on.

Blog Entries
    Hmm.. Damn Acronyms got to me, couldn't remember quite a few and I failed.
    Though I am very confused about the retake, how does that work, do I have to purchase another voucher to retake it?
    Last edited by PsykoPenguin; 09-12-10 at 11:32 AM.

Hmm.. Damn Acronyms got to me, couldn't remember quite a few and I failed.
    Though I am very confused about the retake, how does that work, do I have to purchase another voucher to retake it?
    Which acronyms were they asking the most? Cable standards? Protocols?
    I recently purchased the Network+ and Security+ books because of a job that required some of these certs and since I'm already in the networking field, I figured this would be the easiest one for me to get quickly.
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

People say Linux is alot of work!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FunK View Post
    Which acronyms were they asking the most? Cable standards? Protocols?
    I recently purchased the Network+ and Security+ books because of a job that required some of these certs and since I'm already in the networking field, I figured this would be the easiest one for me to get quickly.
    From what I experienced. Protocols, have to know what each one does and how it's done, sometimes got to know what it stands for.

Also have to remember the way a MAC address is formatted.. or was that a IPv6 IP...

Apparently also have to know what that space is between the raised floor and the actual floor and the lowered ceiling and the actual ceiling..

Some handyman stuff in there that I found to be sort of unrelated to the actual networking aspects.

There are some cable standards in there but not many, it's mostly protocols.

P.S. remember the ENTIRE OSI Model... it helps.

From what I experienced. Protocols, have to know what each one does and how it's done, sometimes got to know what it stands for.

Also have to remember the way a MAC address is formatted.. or was that a IPv6 IP...

Apparently also have to know what that space is between the raised floor and the actual floor and the lowered ceiling and the actual ceiling..

Some handyman stuff in there that I found to be sort of unrelated to the actual networking aspects.

There are some cable standards in there but not many, it's mostly protocols.

P.S. remember the ENTIRE OSI Model... it helps.
    Yeah, that's about what I figured. They seemed to be heavy on things like IMAP4, POP SMTP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP, etc. That kinda stuff I'm good at. Routing protos I'm pretty good at too. OSI is my career..

I had never heard of a "Plenum" before looking at that book so that space and the special Cat5 cables were news to me.
    Simply run adaware, spybot, ZoneAlarm, HijackThis, AVG, update windows daily, have a router, don't open e-mail, turn off action scripting, don't use P2P networks, don't violate EULAs, and wear a condom to get Windows secured.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FunK View Post
    Yeah, that's about what I figured. They seemed to be heavy on things like IMAP4, POP SMTP, SNMP, DNS, DHCP, etc. That kinda stuff I'm good at. Routing protos I'm pretty good at too. OSI is my career..

I had never heard of a "Plenum" before looking at that book so that space and the special Cat5 cables were news to me.

To me, networking has always just been more of a hobby/side thing rather than a full out career type of deal. A+ is more my thing even if we are the jack of all trades (master of none, well except computer repair/maintenance.).

I never saw POP in the exam actually. Always saw IMAP4, SMTP, SNMP and DHCP. DNS every now and then but not always.

I recall stuff bout trunking in there.. and trees...

I'm kinda the opposite.. Work in Networking but always geeked in computers..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Ain't it fuuuuunnn!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Good luck the network + when I took it dealt with tolken ring and netbios stuff some ccna type stuff as well but even then it wasn't a pinic
    Comptia a+ n+

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Ain't it fuuuuunnn!
    It's the most fun thing in the world remembering 12 billion terms.

Note to self: Networking type jobs are a last resort.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee View Post
    Good luck the network + when I took it dealt with tolken ring and netbios stuff some ccna type stuff as well but even then it wasn't a pinic
    lol, I failed the test, was off by 100 points from passing. I don't know how the retake thing is, if I just reschedule or if I have to buy another voucher. If I have to buy another voucher it seems like I'm never going to get my Network+ cert or Security+ cert cause I don't got that kind of money. As it is, it took me many months just to save up enough to get my voucher.

Check for deals for reduced vouchers or free retake periods.

I had to do my Security+ twice, some of the corporate politics questions and chain of evidence stuff is worded tricky.