Thread: Pro Tip: Hip Replacements are not Fun

Pro Tip: Hip Replacements are not Fun

My mother has had problems with her legs for years, mainly her left leg. Doctors had assumed it was due to her weight and then a pinched nerve, and finally figured out it was severe osteoarthritis that required a full hip replacement.

She was able to come home after 4 days in the hospital, and has been recovering for a few weeks.

Though people are allowed home so quick, there is a strict limit on range of motion, and a bunch of exercising to do. Limited time allowed to sit, restricted positions to sit/lay in, and constant icing required to combat swelling.

She has also had to go for walks since day 1 returning home, and has been given exercises that take up a good two hours of the day. Some of them look very fun in a painful way. lol

She just had her first check up with the doctor and everything is going well with the new hip, shes able to put one of her shoes on by herself, get out of bed on her own, and grab stuff that she doesn't have to bend over for. The only bad news is that her other hip will need to be replaced, but that was somewhat expected.

Everyone seems to say it'll be about 6 months till shes back at 100%, but shes been so far below that from the problems with the hip that shes already climbing the stairs faster now than before the surgery. It seems it'll be another 3 or 4 weeks and she should be able to be back to work and moving around pretty much on her own with just a straight cane.

Shes already using the straight cane most of the time, having started with a walker, then went on to a quad cane that gets a little use still. And the important thing, all the pain that she was going through before is finally gone, after maybe 5 years of looking for an answer. The physical therapists shes seen have been pretty surprised at what shes able to do exercise-wise at this point in recovery.

If anyone here has to go through it, make sure you have a couple family members that are able to help out on a 24 hour basis for the first few weeks at least, or go to a rehabilitation center, you will absolutely need the help.

We're totally gonna be pros at this for her next hip replacement, and thank that will be the last one. LOL

Sidenote: Getting an infection in the wound means they would have to take out the new hip, put in a temp piece, cure the infection, and put the permanent hip back in. Does not sound like fun, and means no pool for her till the wound is all sealed up.

SG Enthusiast
    Glad to here she is doing well. How old is your mom YoS?

Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    glad to here she is doing well. How old is your mom yos?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Hmmm she had it done at a young age. I guess it is better to have it done now. I believe it would be harder to cope with if she were older.

Hmmm she had it done at a young age. I guess it is better to have it done now. I believe it would be harder to cope with if she were older.
    Depending on the age of the patient when they receive it they may need to go undergo further surgeries to replace worn parts. It also depends on the type of artificial hip they use. There are so many different types.

When I was doing a rotation in Ortho I was lucky enough to watch a Total Hip Arthroplasty. The particular patient had a dynamic hip screw ( I think that was the name, all I can remember is it had the word dynamic in it).

This is what it looks like:

Because this patients Osteoarthritis was becoming increasing severe the mechanism anchored on the femur was shearing off. The Femur was cracking due to the weakening of the bone and no longer able to secure the attachment.

They removed this device in replaced it with this object

I can't remember the name of it...it just reminds me of a miniature war club.

Even then sometimes the heavy duty ones have to be replaced for wear and tear. I think usually they are good for 10-15 years ish.
    Last edited by *cho*; 08-12-10 at 01:59 PM.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Ya it had to be done now or else she was going to need a wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ya it had to be done now or else she was going to need a wheelchair.
    In my opinion it is good to get it done as soon as you can and as soon as it is needed because once it is done it greatly improves quality of life, as you yourself have already seen.

Walking is something many of take for granted and don't really learn to appreciate it until it becomes hindered and painful.

Anyways good to hear your mom is doing well and recovering quickly.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

I have an unclen in his seventies now, who had 2 replacements almost 40 years ago due to bone detrerioration caused by steroids he was prescribed for a back injury. Anyway, he's had the replacements replaced from original metal to lightweight plastic (possibly kevlar nowadays). He still gets around real good but unfortunately cannot tolerate the pounding if he were to go fishing with me in my boat. Sure wish he could, he was the one who gave me my first boat when I was 12.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Hope all goes well for her, YOS.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I hope your mom recovers quickly and completely.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Yardy, I hope that she has a speedy recovery.

A question though, did she get an infection or was that just words of wisdom for others?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    A question though, did she get an infection or was that just words of wisdom for others?
    Just what her doctor told her would happen if she got it infected. So far everything is going well.

She is able to walk a mile a day at a pretty regular pace with decent form.

I had a total left hip replacement in 1998. High dose Prednisone caused my femoral head to die. I screwed around with it until I couldn't even walk. It's weird because you can't run, can't walk up stairs normally or at least it feels that way because the hip doesn't move like a natural hip, but it's great to be PAIN FREE!

Yardie it sounds like she's doing great. I think I used a walker for 2 weeks, then to the cane, but don't recall how long I used it.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates