Thread: Consultants?

Consultants?

We brought in a consultant at work to "re-wire" our business and get it on track. (We've been having a couple of bad years). Our president doesn't know how to run a business and I think he's at the end of his rope.

What am I in for? Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

The outfit coming in is:

http://www.hcmm.com/
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What is the company you work for? What do they do? Size of staff? Departments? Services?

The consulting firm will look at a lot of different things..your products/services, what your client base is, what competition there is out there, marketing strategies, costs, expenses, size of staff, possible streamlining (could mean layoffs), cash flow, etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

How important is your job at the place and how many do it well?

I'm the Operations Manager for a metal fabrication job shop that has around 55 employees. We were up to around 80 in 2008, before the economy took a slide. We're an ESOP (employee owned). We are heavy on the front end, 26 exempt managers (including 6 shop supervisors) to 33 non-exempt in the shop.

As for departments, we have the typical business departments in the office- admin., production control, HR, estimating, Engineering, but we really don't engineer- they are basically CAD guys. We don't have a sales department which is one of our many issues. In the shop we have the press room (fabrication-lasers, punches, ect). tool room, welding, paint and assembly.

Not a lot of training for managers, which is one of our issues too.

We do need an overhaul because I think we've gotten pretty complacent about allot of things.
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    My wife works in the office of a shop where they fabricate items related to fire mostly for the oil industry. Itís been rough for them too, theyíve been laying off random people from different departments for a couple months. The only company I worked at that brought in a consultant was years ago. That was a failure, the guy didnít know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Depending on how much you like the place and if your paychecks arenít bouncing, stick it out. Thereís a lot of small businesses going through hard times, if their employees are aware of it or not.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

The IT department brought in consultants a few years ago....Nothing materialized out of that.

The department I am in now is need of a serious house cleaning.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    The IT department brought in consultants a few years ago....Nothing materialized out of that.

I'll make a trip and do some serious house cleaning!

Da Cat is in da House!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

Da Cat is in da House!
    First things first... put that damn NT server in the litter box!
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    And fire chair guy.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post

Are you one of the ones that needs/wants to be house cleaned?

Westy, I understand where you're coming from. I've worked at several companies that have had this done including where I'm working now. Change isn't always easy. Especially in these times where so many companies are trying to get by with virtual skeleton crews. That actually is the problem where I am now. We're hanging in there but not by much. Everyone is stressed having to do the work of 2 employees.

With that said... I think the first thing to do is have a company meeting with the managers and key employees. This might take several sessions but everyone needs to understand the situation and realize the company may be on the brink. You're not doing this to scare anyone, use it to solicit suggestions. Let everyone know they play a part and that their part is important but change is in the future and the future is now. If you let everyone participate in the change you'll get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

Da Cat is in da House!
    you can consult me on how to do the IT stuff better with just 1 person.

Quote Originally Posted by koldchillah View Post
    Tryin man, tryin.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    And fire chair guy.

Quote Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
    Are you one of the ones that needs/wants to be house cleaned?
    If they tell me to go, the are going to have to pay me to leave.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720
    This really depends on what kind of business your in, but mostly it depends on how things are going now. I'm currently a student at a business school and I'm going to be a part of a team of students that'll be doing some consulting for a couple of business in sept. We'll mostly be helping with things like business plans, but we'll also be involved with things like marketing and accounting as well.

Just a few tips on things they'll be looking for:

1.) Numbers. They are going to want to see how much money the business is bringing in and which business segments (if your company is involved in more then one) brings in the most dough. They'll also want to see staff numbers and payroll stuff, they mostly be looking over cashflow stuff to make sure your able to maintain cash to float you between months.

2.) Current and Potential markets. They'll probably have to measure how u are doing now and look at the potential markets your looking to break into (if at all possible).

Just from what you said, I'd be kind of concerned about your business as you probably do need some sales / marketing people to help maintain / grow your business.

Human resources is one of the biggest problems facing most business as they can only recruit what's locally available (unless your uber advanced and allow tele-working or working remotely). My guess is that they will come in, look at all the staff and being marking people for replacement and through out the idea of replacing people with more qualified / educated / experienced people. May not always be possible but they are going to definitely look at the options and present them to you as such.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro