Thread: TCPOptimizer_v3.0.3 Crash!

TCPOptimizer_v3.0.3 Crash!

WinServer2k8R2 SP1Beta (SP1Beta is probably the issue, but I did not have the issue with a Vista Vanilla SP1Beta or SP2Beta and the version I was using at the time)

Latest v3.0.3

"""Faulting application name: TCPOptimizer_v3.0.3.exe, version: 3.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x4c51d603
    Faulting module name: TCPOptimizer_v3.0.3.exe, version: 3.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x4c51d603
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00003ee7
    Faulting process id: 0xf1c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb30661fc58960
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\TCPOptimizer_v3.0.3.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\TCPOptimizer_v3.0.3.exe
    Report Id: 6067bd30-9c59-11df-a595-96f80395928e"""

I can poll more information if needed.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Did you try running in admn mode?
    Comptia a+ n+

Blog Entries
    Is the issue repeatable after a reboot of the machine ?
    64 or 32-bit OS ?

On admin account, but also tried with "run as admin", same issue, restarts do not fix it as it just errors out as soon as I try to open it.

Been doing a "little" digging (reading) and I think others have said it works fine on Server08R2, if this is true (confirm?) then it MUST be the SP1 BETA for Win7/08R2, something must have changed if (and this is a fresh win08R2 install) it works without SP1... (I cannot find what in the notes for the SP1 beta has changed in ANYTHING related to networking)

I can provide an account (Philip) if you cannot test locally...

WindowsServer2008R2_x64 (DC Edition)

Blog Entries
    No need for an account at this point, thanks for the offer. I don't have such testing machine and kinda busy with another project in the next few days, but I'll let you know if there is anything you can test when we get to look into this in more detail.

Thanks for the information and offering to help!

No problem, just let me know when you got something...

Also if your using SP1 for Win7 this probably will throw the same error (since 7 is 08R2's bitch) since they are identical

but unless your using RemoteFX (I am... ITS FRIGGING SEXY, but nothing like being at a console...) you probably arent...

I got that error when I first tested on Server 2008 R2, without SP1 installed. It does not happen on Win7 with SP1 (runs fine, I have it on this machine). Long story, shortened Version, Server 2008 R2 out of the box is 64-bit only, there is no 32 bit Version. In fact you can even configure it to not install the 32 bit compatability layer. It is not configured to run most 32 bit programs on a Vanilla install, so you have to manually setup the services it needs to be able to run Win7 programs in 32-bit mode, I forget which roles and services I had to tweak, to even get it to run. But it will run if the configuration is correct. Depending on what roles you Server is filling that may not be a good idea security wise. Mine is a test machine and when I am done testing I reimage, back to Vanilla, I lost some of my backups over the weekend so I am not sure if I have an image of the Version 3.0.3 test anymore.
    -Life is Short, Enjoy It -
    Specs:Gigabyte X38-DQ6; Xeon X3350@3.2GHz; 8GB DDR2; ATI HD5770;
    Realtek PCIe NIC; Linksys WRT54G, TRENDnet TEW-652BRP

Quote Originally Posted by rufnredde View Post
    I got that error when I first tested on Server 2008 R2, without SP1 installed. It does not happen on Win7 with SP1 (runs fine, I have it on this machine). Long story, shortened Version, Server 2008 R2 out of the box is 64-bit only, there is no 32 bit Version. In fact you can even configure it to not install the 32 bit compatability layer. It is not configured to run most 32 bit programs on a Vanilla install, so you have to manually setup the services it needs to be able to run Win7 programs in 32-bit mode, I forget which roles and services I had to tweak, to even get it to run. But it will run if the configuration is correct. Depending on what roles you Server is filling that may not be a good idea security wise. Mine is a test machine and when I am done testing I reimage, back to Vanilla, I lost some of my backups over the weekend so I am not sure if I have an image of the Version 3.0.3 test anymore.

Hrmm... if you happen to remember let me know, I have tried it on vanilla and it didnt work, I have also modded it to be more workstation friendly still with no luck (and modifying services and what-not)... Use it for Backup/Media/Hyper-V and an all around test bench! (hot swap is HAWT!)

I actually haven't had any other issues with 32x or even 16x (Hyper-V of course) apps/programs... (besides having to mod MSI or EXE's to run on SP1...)

I remember I found what I needed in an article or a KB from Technet IIrc about getting Windows 7 programs to run on Server R2. I usually bookmark everything, I apologize I have been doing so much lately, I have over 100 bookmarks I haven't had a chance to categorize yet. I will find it, eventually and let you know. K?

I remember I found what I needed in an article or a KB from Technet IIrc about getting Windows 7 programs to run on Server R2. I usually bookmark everything, I apologize I have been doing so much lately, I have over 100 bookmarks I haven't had a chance to categorize yet. I will find it, eventually and let you know. K?
    sure, no prob... ive been a bit lazy for the last few months as well... i have to scroll a few times through my bookmark list... i even stopped designating the links...

I have the same problem on WS2000 R2 on 2 servers. They're both WS 2008 R2 standard, completely vanilla (they are used to host DVD ISOs for my XBMCs). No roles and the only feature added is .net 4. No service pack, just standard Windows Updates received through automatic updates.

On one server it crashes (with the same error report Kane3162 got), on the other it shows up in the process list for a few seconds then closes without any errors. Tried several different compatibility modes to no effect. Haven't really dug into it too much (they aren't test servers so I don't want to play with things too much), but just wanted to chime in that it isn't the SP1 beta.

Edit: Got it working by using Win XP sp2 compatibility mode and running as admin. All modes after that (XP SP3 and above) still crash.
    Last edited by DedTV; 08-03-10 at 03:58 PM. Reason: New info

whenever i try to run it in compatibility mode it just says "previous versions of windows" doesn't even list the version...

and i wonder what the pitfall is of doing it in XP Sp2 mode

Crash on Server

On Servers security is generally tighter, when I turn off software protection it will run. When I look at the error log, what I see is that with software protection on in 2008 R2 it considers the registry access requested by TCP Optomizer "Registry Leaks" and prevents the software from running. My suggestion at this point would be to not use TCP Opto on a server unless you temporarily disable security, use it to set TCP settings then reenable security again. Big picture I think MS expects the server admin to set exceptions, to allow for exceptions for software you want to run. I don't know what other roles your server is filling so I can't recommend doing anything that may compromise security. If it is just a test server and you are using it to learn then, look at this as an opportunity to advance your knowledge and understanding, hit the knowledge base and admin training, maybe write a script that sets the optomized settings for you. As far as the 2000 server goes I don't have a 2000 Server test machine myself, but would image the problem is similar.

...when I turn off software protection it will run...
    how exactly did you do this? I tried what I know of "software protection" wise but am still unable to run it, additionally I dont see anything in my event-logs or the standard windows default event-logs???