Thread: Radical Islamic Threats?

Radical Islamic Threats?

O.K. I am trying to be compassionate, understanding and tolerant but this article is rubbing me the wrong way. Some Imam is warning that if we move the NYC mosque it could trigger a violent backlash and threaten national security. "Anger will explode in the Muslim world" It's one thing to respect others belief but another to be threatened not only abroad but here on our own soil. Looks like bullying to me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/...yc_mosque_imam
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

It's BS. They threaten us, our troops or political interests abroad whenever we try and prevent them from getting what they want.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

I guess I just don't get the one way street.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

It's not a one way street. I am not defending the radicals, but it is also true that we in the US never see what's really going on in the Mid East.

The news we get has been "OK'd" by the State Dept and other agencies. We don't get news about how "corporation X blackmails or exploits". We don't get mainstream news about how Haliburton bills the US Govt $125.00 per single load of one soldier's laundry.

And we also don't get to see what the media over there has been fed about how we here feel about things.

In order for any conflict to persist, be it between 2 people, small groups or nations, there must exist lies that are being forwarded and kept alive. Call it conspiracy, call it paranoia, call it what you want, but there are those entities that seek to keep conflicts going because they profit from it. And they own our politicians and they own the radicals.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I guess it all depends on your perception of a threat.

The individuals who decided to build the mosque may have gotten more then they bargained for. But I would hope they do not give into the coercion, from either here in America or from abroad, and do what they feel is right.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    It's not a one way street. I am not defending the radicals, but it is also true that we in the US never see what's really going on in the Mid East.
    I'm only referring to basic tolerance.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Jujst as we are influenced by our media and leaders, so are the radicals influenced by their propoganda and leaders, whose product IS intolerence.

Anything done by the "enemy" can be used in a propoganda machine to build moral support for the cause. Both sides do this.

Perhaps you are not subjected to as much US intolerence as some people are. I get emails from people I know every other day that contain some nasty stuff about Muslims, Arabs, Iranians, etc. I just delete the messages.

Also, the radicals over there consider they are at war and there's not much room for tolerence in a war.

LRH

The media has become beyond influential. It's time they either do the right thing and report all or nothing. It's become as bad as buying the National Enquirer and believing everything you read. There are a lot of very misinformed people out there and they take what they hear as truth, when it's mostly propaganda to perfect an ongoing agenda.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Blog Entries
    Tony,

I am left to wonder if the "media" is as much in control of our thoughts as they had been. Frankly, the majority of folks with whom I deal with, receive their news of the world via the internet. If there is a mass thought, then why are we even in discussion. Like an ice cream flavor, it is comforting to reach for the information which comforts our sensibilities.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    The media has become beyond influential. It's time they either do the right thing and report all or nothing. It's become as bad as buying the National Enquirer and believing everything you read. There are a lot of very misinformed people out there and they take what they hear as truth, when it's mostly propaganda to perfect an ongoing agenda.
    The media just caters to the whims of the populous. If people wanted truth, then the media would report it. It is, after all, a business and they'll follow the dollars. But people are naturally lovers of opinion, rather then truth.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I really don't give the population the kudos and respect that many might. Most are sheep and wouldn't know what was good for them or for that matter what was really important if it bit them in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Tony,

I am left to wonder if the "media" is as much in control of our thoughts as they had been. Frankly, the majority of folks with whom I deal with, receive their news of the world via the internet. If there is a mass thought, then why are we even in discussion. Like an ice cream flavor, it is comforting to reach for the information which comforts our sensibilities.
    I agree, much of the news we get is via the Internet. There are pros and cons there though. We get more opinions and more viewpoints of a single story, often enlightening us to things we'd have missed or never thought about. On the other hand, we get a larger quantity of opinions based on bias, prejudice and mis-education (read poor ability to observe and evaluate data).

But even with the Internet, most major news sites use syndicated news feeds, the same way the AP syndicated news via teletype machines years ago. This news is broadcast for a fee, some ois free. Also, "hot zones" regulated by govts just don't allow any reporter access to information or access to where the action is. The US has a basic freedom of the press, most of the rest of the world doesn't.

And most major news can still be traced to the major media companies. A CNN reporter in Iraq writes a story > publishes it via a laptop at a CNN owned site > same story appears on Google news page > same story appears on John Doe's Wordpress War blog quoting 90% of the article > same story appears on Roger Kaputnik's Anti-war blog with each paragraph critiqued.

There are few TV and radio news broadcasts that are not owned by one of several news organizations. Even talk-radio is syndicated and governed by media conglomerates.

IMHO, most people don't bother to dig deep into the Internet to get news, I believe they are contented with the news that appears on their ISP Web portals or the major news sites.

Trivia: Who is Roger Kaputnik? (clue - he knows Alfred N. personally)

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Tony,

No doubt. Plenty of ways now to find the truth if you want it. With the exception of 1 person in this thread we have all been here and have been acquainted with each other for 10 years or so. Our fact finding skills are probably a bit better than the first Idiot the media finds holding a beer on the back of a mini bike.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Blog Entries
    TonyT,

As I mentioned, we will gravitate to our sensibilities.

Evan mentioned in a previous post how news is now drawn from the ground by on the scene bloggers rather than reporters. As you stated, this does has its pluses and minuses. It does provide access which might otherwise not be available. In particular, the narco-civil war in Mexico.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche