Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED flashlights

LED flashlights

Looking at a new flashlight...after Gerber knives I can't have enough flashlights and I'm totally sold on LEDs.

I've been really happy with LED Maglite conversions kits. My AA minimags have both the bulb and switch conversions and I got a bulb conversion for my 3 C cell Maglite as well. It rocks.

Looking at these http://www.niteize.com/pages/inova-flashlights

I've owned one of the single AA X-series for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. One frickin AA battery and it's brighter than most flashlights I used as a kid. The battery lasts almost forever, and I like using rechargeables whenever possible so it's perfect. I keep it in my winter jacket pocket.

Looking at their higher end models they're lithium, with a few rechargeable lithium ion flashlights. Anyone have experience with either lithium flashlights or rechargeable lithium?

I know they're going to be brighter than AA, obviously. I really like using standard rechargeable batteries though, much cheaper (and I'm damned cheap), I already have a lot of them, and I assume they're less toxic to produce and dispose of.

Sticking with this brand (can get it wholesale) but interested in any feedback regardless of brand.

Thanks

I got one of these at the shop.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=135

Just throw your other lights away. This is the ONLY one you will need.
    Joe

Pretty much the market leader in LED and anything flashlights would have to be Surefire.

http://www.surefire.com/

Probably more than you were looking to spend but definitely worth it. That being said the G2L is a great light for under a hundred dollars. 120 lumens with a burn time of 10-12 hours total.

http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

I was a huge fan of Inova before I found out about Surefire. Inova do make good lights but SF just blow them away.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by *cho* View Post

I was a huge fan of Inova before I found out about Surefire. Inova do make good lights but SF just blow them away.
    I've drooled over the Surefire lights for a long time but can't get them at wholesale.

It's not like I need a new flashlight for vigilante justice or tracking deer across the plains.

I need/want yet another good one to:

keep in the truck for emergencies
    walk fence line to find and fix fence breaks
    look for said escapee dogs
    maintain/fix ozone water system after work during the winter
    use at the store and at home during winter power outages (very common)
    guard carport from tweakers
    and the garden from deer and raccoons
    and the back field from bear
    walk the dogs on a 1 1/2 lane road driven by tweakers at high velocities
    walk the logging roads at DePlano's
    work on electrical/networking/drainage under the house
    clean dog wounds after break-outs or fights ( or the latest...spider bite from hell)

and I forgot the oh-too-rare nocturnal rider-mowing (it's the cracker in me)

Ive had this one for a few years... its not led but it is as bright as the bat signal.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=12#
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

I like this one from Coleman. It's very bright, small and runs off 3 AAA batteries. I found mine at Lowe's for $24.99, but probably available elsewhere.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=1185&brand=

Quote Originally Posted by Bastid View Post
    Ive had this one for a few years... its not led but it is as bright as the bat signal.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=12#
    Sweet jesus, 295 lumens!

Looks clunky but that's pretty damn bright

The highest-end one made where I'm getting mine is a 3-cell lithium 123 battery setup and it's 200 lumens.

What are sub-C batteries, from the description of your Streamlight?

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDude View Post
    I like this one from Coleman. It's very bright, small and runs off 3 AAA batteries. I found mine at Lowe's for $24.99, but probably available elsewhere.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=1185&brand=

That looks like a good one, I just never have any use for the red or green or blue LEDs or lenses.

Then again, I dropped by a friend's after work for a beer, and he mentioned using the green or blue lens on his flashlight when he gets up at 4 AM to avoid waking his wife or son...so I guess they're useful for some people

Regarding the flashlight Bastid posted with the "Sub-C" batteries...I generally tend to avoid buying flashlights that use what I'll call non-standard batteries. I can find AAA batteries at any store that sells batteries, but will have a hard time finding batteries like Sub-C or CR123A which are quite common in bright LED flashlights. I can buy 16 AAA batteries for the same price as 2 CR123A batteries at Wal-Mart. I use mine, among other times, when I'm camping/hunting, and the little quick-stop style gas stations out in the country only carry the common batteries.
    Something to think about.

Also, regarding the colored LED's...I use red in my pre-dawn approach to my hunting location in an attempt to draw less attention to myself. I like the fact that this light has 3 LED's that you select as opposed to adding/removing lenses. Blue is supposed to help find blood trails at night, but I believe that to be hokum as I and my relatives have had far better luck with white light over the years.

I've got one of the Coleman LED's but its only white and I got it from Walmart. Very bright and powerful for just those 3 AAA's. I've dropped it so many times but its very well built and water proof!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    They are pretty cool....I just have some blue aluminum one from Lowes....AA model.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Last edited by Dan; 09-07-12 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    hey humby,you got me looking at flashlights again,I need a new one,and I found this one today I might buy,I went to a police supply store and saw it in person,it has a slider beam adjuster that I like,and it's 195 lumens,and it takes "D" cells,which I like.

http://www.ledlenserusa.com/product_...?modelNum=8417

it's $99

which one are you getting ?
    That looks like a good one too Dan, haven't heard of that brand before but it has some nice features.

I'm sticking with the Inova line since I can get it at wholesale but the T-series (high end) are out of stock until they finish a redesign later this year.

Grabbing one of these http://www.niteize.com/collections/i.../inova-bolt-aa in the meantime. Can't beat the size, I have tons of AA rechargeable nimh, and if I need more candles I always have my D cell Maglite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I just ordered one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
    Nu-Flare 77R92L Ultrabright Luxeon LED Aluminum Flashlight, Gumetal, 210 Lumens $38.20

Nice lite for a good price.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

I'm still running my mini maglite 2 x AA with and 3 led kit. I just found out they have an upgrade for my solitaire which I will add to my next amazon order.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDude View Post
    Regarding the flashlight Bastid posted with the "Sub-C" batteries...I generally tend to avoid buying flashlights that use what I'll call non-standard batteries. I can find AAA batteries at any store that sells batteries, but will have a hard time finding batteries like Sub-C or CR123A which are quite common in bright LED flashlights. I can buy 16 AAA batteries for the same price as 2 CR123A batteries at Wal-Mart. I use mine, among other times, when I'm camping/hunting, and the little quick-stop style gas stations out in the country only carry the common batteries.
    Something to think about.

Also, regarding the colored LED's...I use red in my pre-dawn approach to my hunting location in an attempt to draw less attention to myself. I like the fact that this light has 3 LED's that you select as opposed to adding/removing lenses. Blue is supposed to help find blood trails at night, but I believe that to be hokum as I and my relatives have had far better luck with white light over the years.

Hey guys, sorry i neglected this thread... im not exactly sure what they are but it is a rechargeable system. the battery tube/handle Length: 11.75 in. (30 cm) Diameter: Lens Assembly Diameter: 2.37 in. (6.02 cm)
    Body Diameter: 1.08 in. (2.74 cm) its not clunky per se, but it is long, bat signal though. The lens assembly will get warm. If left on its face for an extended period of time, it will melt the lens.
    Dis-assembled:
    Black cylinder in the middle is the battery(ies).
    Last edited by Bastid; 01-29-11 at 03:07 PM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version