Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Voting Rights

New Voting Rights

I believe the only people eligible to vote would be people who are productive members of society, you know, people who work and pay taxes. If you take from the government you shouldn't be able to cast a vote, of course you would vote for someone if they were going to give you something for free. My new law would weed out the dead beats out there.
    I Hope He Fails

I think you need to broaden that a bit. How about people that work and pay taxes, worked and payed taxes, own real property, and I'm sure some other things should apply that aren't coming to me at the moment.

Hell just get rid of the illegal immigrants and we'll save half of this economy in no time.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    I believe the only people eligible to vote would be people who are productive members of society, you know, people who work and pay taxes. If you take from the government you shouldn't be able to cast a vote, of course you would vote for someone if they were going to give you something for free. My new law would weed out the dead beats out there.
    So what would be your theory on someone who got laid off and is looking for work, but isn't working at the time of an election?

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    So what would be your theory on someone who got laid off and is looking for work, but isn't working at the time of an election?
    If you are eligible to collect unemployment from being layed off then you would have the right to vote.
    People who are retired and have payed past taxes are also eligible.
    I Hope He Fails

Your idea wouldn't change anything really. People making low wages might still want to vote for someone offering a handout.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Your idea wouldn't change anything really. People making low wages might still want to vote for someone offering a handout.
    Democrats and Republicans would still be at each others' throats as well.

What if I make a killing in stocks and retire early? Still paying taxes but not working, could I vote?

What if my family left me enough money I never had to be employed?

Everyone takes from the government in some form or another.

I have always felt this way, no representation without taxation. Why do the people who do not contribute to society have a say so in what happens in or to society?

Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    I have always felt this way, no representation without taxation. Why do the people who do not contribute to society have a say so in what happens in or to society?
    Most that do not contribute anything at all to society don't take advantage of their right to have a say. Indeed, those that take and give nothing in return (criminals), don't vote at all.

I agree that those who do not contribute or have not contributed should have lesser rights, esp if they intentionally do not contribute, but I believe that the majority of these people don't make it to the polls anyway.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    You're missing the point, my law (Miggs Law) would keep people who don't pay taxes out of the voting booth, I heard somewhere that 50 percent of american households don't pay taxes.
    Lets keep the people who don't put in to the system out of the system.
    I Hope He Fails

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    ......but I believe that the majority of these people don't make it to the polls anyway.
    Except in the last election, there is one reason and one reason only the Obama was elected.... a certain demographic that never shows up for elections did show up and voted. This is a fact and not my opinion, it doesn't matter that I don't like Obama, it's simply the truth.

Except in the last election, there is one reason and one reason only the Obama was elected.... a certain demographic that never shows up for elections did show up and voted. This is a fact and not my opinion, it doesn't matter that I don't like Obama, it's simply the truth.

What's your point? Truth is every President gets elected because they ultimately appeal to a certain part of the electorate that their opponent doesn't. For Clinton he appealed to a younger group which was key to his Presidency. For President Bush he appealed to religious voters which was key to his Presidency and for President Obama he appealed to young black voters which were key to his Presidency. Facts are there is a first time for anything and in no way does Obama's appeal to young black voters cheapen his victory. Any suggestion otherwise is absurd.

You're missing the point, my law (Miggs Law) would keep people who don't pay taxes out of the voting booth, I heard somewhere that 50 percent of american households don't pay taxes.
    How much of the 50% number are wealthy people with good accountants?

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. - JP II

I'll step in a second, but for only a single post:

I agree with this post since it is true that a certain demographic did turn up and vote to get him into office. The problem with this certain demographic is that they only voted for him cause he is also part of this certain demographic. The votes cast should have been based on a educational or well thought out reasons based on the ability for him or the other choice to run the country and run it well.

Did Clinton get help from the younger generation for his votes? Yea he sure did but he wasn't in this certain demographic.

Did Bush get help from groups of certain religion for his votes? Yeah prob so, but he wasn't part of all of these certain demographics either.

mnosteele52, your post here is solid and right on the money.

As for the topic at hand.... I agree also, don't contribute don't vote but it will NEVER happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    The problem with this certain demographic is that they only voted for him cause he is also part of this certain demographic.
    Link proving that to be the case in every scenario like you stated?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    So if Obama only got votes "because he was part of a certain demographic"....why didn't McCain get votes from his "certain demographic"? I mean comon, it goes both ways...no matter now you try to delicately tiptoe around "race".

And lets not forget, using the above "certain demographic" membership, technically Obama is 50/50...his mother was white. So again using the above tiptoe around "race" and "votes because of..."...there's a 50/50 split there..doesn't get much more equal.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    So if Obama only got votes "because he was part of a certain demographic"....why didn't McCain get votes from his "certain demographic"? I mean comon, it goes both ways...no matter now you try to delicately tiptoe around "race".

And lets not forget, using the above "certain demographic" membership, technically Obama is 50/50...his mother was white. So again using the above tiptoe around "race" and "votes because of..."...there's a 50/50 split there..doesn't get much more equal.
    There you go again making sense man.

Convenient how some make the argument they are doing with him.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If you are eligible to collect unemployment from being layed off then you would have the right to vote.
    People who are retired and have payed past taxes are also eligible.
    I vote that another qualification to vote is to be able to show that you successfully earned your high school diploma and can prove it by at least passing 6th grade english/grammar tests.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The only demographic that matters is the Independent Vote. Obama won the Independent voters over. Had McCain been able to do the same it would've overcome the Latino/Black votes that went to Obama. Independent voters trump all come election day.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    The only demographic that matters is the Independent Vote. Obama won the Independent voters over. Had McCain been able to do the same it would've overcome the Latino/Black votes that went to Obama. Independent voters trump all come election day.
    Thus the reason why Republicans will take back the House. Right now it appears they got the Independent vote.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I vote that another qualification to vote is to be able to show that you successfully earned your high school diploma and can prove it by at least passing 6th grade english/grammar tests.
    Second.

Can we get a third?