Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

  1. #1
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?

    These routers are in different locations. I spend about half my time at
    each location.

  2. #2
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 08:30:50 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    >order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    >of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    >there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?


    You're right, the stock WRT54G firmware doesn't offer that capability.
    You could possibly upgrade to 3rd party firmware, but that seems like
    overkill in this case.

    Can you simply assign a static IP address to the target computer?


  3. #3
    Tony Hwang
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    Robert Peirce wrote:
    > I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    > order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    > of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    > there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?
    >
    > These routers are in different locations. I spend about half my time at
    > each location.

    Hi,
    Looked into dd-wrt f/w?

  4. #4
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <tH3Xn.13662$4B7.12117@newsfe16.iad>,
    Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > Robert Peirce wrote:
    > > I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    > > order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    > > of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    > > there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?
    > >
    > > These routers are in different locations. I spend about half my time at
    > > each location.

    > Hi,
    > Looked into dd-wrt f/w?


    What is dd-wrt f/w??

  5. #5
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <2n7p26te9lcem4s87i5unshmj70l2kgh16@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 08:30:50 -0400, Robert Peirce
    > <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    > >order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    > >of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    > >there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?

    >
    > You're right, the stock WRT54G firmware doesn't offer that capability.
    > You could possibly upgrade to 3rd party firmware, but that seems like
    > overkill in this case.
    >
    > Can you simply assign a static IP address to the target computer?


    That's what I am trying to do. The router assigns an address depending,
    I guess, on when various devices join. Right now I am using the address
    that was given to the computer until that changes, but I would like to
    assign a static address as I do on the WRT150N.

    The network address is assigned by Verizon and that changes as well.
    However, I am using no-ip.com to trap that.

  6. #6
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:28:40 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >In article <tH3Xn.13662$4B7.12117@newsfe16.iad>,
    > Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote:
    >
    >> Robert Peirce wrote:
    >> > I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    >> > order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    >> > of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    >> > there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?
    >> >
    >> > These routers are in different locations. I spend about half my time at
    >> > each location.

    >> Hi,
    >> Looked into dd-wrt f/w?

    >
    >What is dd-wrt f/w??


    It's 3rd party firmware and it may or may not be recommended for your
    WRT54G, depending on your router's hardware revision level. More info
    can be found at www.dd-wrt.com.


  7. #7
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:32:02 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >In article <2n7p26te9lcem4s87i5unshmj70l2kgh16@4ax.com>,
    > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 08:30:50 -0400, Robert Peirce
    >> <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    >> >order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    >> >of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    >> >there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?

    >>
    >> You're right, the stock WRT54G firmware doesn't offer that capability.
    >> You could possibly upgrade to 3rd party firmware, but that seems like
    >> overkill in this case.
    >>
    >> Can you simply assign a static IP address to the target computer?

    >
    >That's what I am trying to do. The router assigns an address depending,
    >I guess, on when various devices join. Right now I am using the address
    >that was given to the computer until that changes, but I would like to
    >assign a static address as I do on the WRT150N.


    Can you simply assign a static IP address to the target computer?
    Forget the router, just assign it on the target computer. Do you have
    the proper access to do that?

    >The network address is assigned by Verizon and that changes as well.
    >However, I am using no-ip.com to trap that.


    Good, so once you make the target computer's IP static, you should be
    all set.


  8. #8
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <ujjq269op0uqvdadkpahdh8jsm59usq7ms@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > Can you simply assign a static IP address to the target computer?
    > Forget the router, just assign it on the target computer. Do you have
    > the proper access to do that?


    How would I do that? I can if I know how. What would the router do
    with that information?

  9. #9
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <pgjq26d4emahk9u78p4ctpn379m1tbhpt5@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:28:40 -0400, Robert Peirce
    > <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <tH3Xn.13662$4B7.12117@newsfe16.iad>,
    > > Tony Hwang <dragon40@shaw.ca> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Robert Peirce wrote:
    > >> > I have a VNC app that needs to know the IP address of a computer in
    > >> > order to access it. The WRT150N allows you to "reserve" an IP as part
    > >> > of the setup screen. I cannot find this on the WRT54G. Maybe it isn't
    > >> > there. If it isn't, is there a work-around?
    > >> >
    > >> > These routers are in different locations. I spend about half my time at
    > >> > each location.
    > >> Hi,
    > >> Looked into dd-wrt f/w?

    > >
    > >What is dd-wrt f/w??

    >
    > It's 3rd party firmware and it may or may not be recommended for your
    > WRT54G, depending on your router's hardware revision level. More info
    > can be found at www.dd-wrt.com.


    Thanks. I discovered I had this site bookmarked, indicating I must have
    looked at it before. I probably found it was overkill for what I needed
    to do.

    Your static IP idea looks like it might be the way to go in this case.

  10. #10
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 19:26:20 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >In article <ujjq269op0uqvdadkpahdh8jsm59usq7ms@4ax.com>,
    > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Can you simply assign a static IP address to the target computer?
    >> Forget the router, just assign it on the target computer. Do you have
    >> the proper access to do that?

    >
    >How would I do that? I can if I know how.


    The steps vary slightly, depending on which OS is running on that
    computer. Here's an example of how to assign a static IP in Windows
    XP. http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp

    >What would the router do with that information?


    The router doesn't care how IP addresses were assigned, as long as the
    address is in the proper subnet and the other requirements are met,
    which the link above (or a similar site) will help provide.

    Holler if you get stuck. Plenty of people around here can help.


  11. #11
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <1m0t26lk5gsvr3cce5e05588snbgvrs0lb@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > The steps vary slightly, depending on which OS is running on that
    > computer. Here's an example of how to assign a static IP in Windows
    > XP. http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp


    This turns out to be more trouble than it is worth. The problem is one
    of my routers operates at 192.168.0 and the other is 192.168.1 and the
    computer has to be in one of those ranges. It is easier to find out
    what IP the WRT54G has assigned and set up port forwarding for that IP
    than it is to create a static IP for one router and revert to automatic
    for the other.

    The ideal, of course, would be if the WRT54G could "reserve" an IP for a
    particular machine like the WRT150N can. Maybe I need to buy a new
    router.

  12. #12
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 07:43:58 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >In article <1m0t26lk5gsvr3cce5e05588snbgvrs0lb@4ax.com>,
    > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> The steps vary slightly, depending on which OS is running on that
    >> computer. Here's an example of how to assign a static IP in Windows
    >> XP. http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp

    >
    >This turns out to be more trouble than it is worth. The problem is one
    >of my routers operates at 192.168.0 and the other is 192.168.1 and the
    >computer has to be in one of those ranges.


    I'm not sure what trouble you're having. Setting a static IP on one
    computer should take 30-60 seconds, and it's a one time task. Why are
    the routers getting involved and causing confusion?

    >It is easier to find out
    >what IP the WRT54G has assigned and set up port forwarding for that IP
    >than it is to create a static IP for one router and revert to automatic
    >for the other.


    No, I'm saying you should leave the two routers alone and set a static
    IP on the computer you're trying to access.

    >The ideal, of course, would be if the WRT54G could "reserve" an IP for a
    >particular machine like the WRT150N can. Maybe I need to buy a new
    >router.


    It would be inconceivable to me to consider purchasing a new router
    before configuring the computer with a static IP or exploring the
    possibility of loading the existing router with new firmware. Static
    IP's and firmware are free, while new hardware isn't.

    An extreme example of what you're proposing is to buy a new car
    because you don't like the current radio station. :-)


  13. #13
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <qtou26daanaal44i3ac83e4gnhhoku1gg9@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 07:43:58 -0400, Robert Peirce
    > <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <1m0t26lk5gsvr3cce5e05588snbgvrs0lb@4ax.com>,
    > > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The steps vary slightly, depending on which OS is running on that
    > >> computer. Here's an example of how to assign a static IP in Windows
    > >> XP. http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp

    > >
    > >This turns out to be more trouble than it is worth. The problem is one
    > >of my routers operates at 192.168.0 and the other is 192.168.1 and the
    > >computer has to be in one of those ranges.

    >
    > I'm not sure what trouble you're having. Setting a static IP on one
    > computer should take 30-60 seconds, and it's a one time task. Why are
    > the routers getting involved and causing confusion?
    >
    > >It is easier to find out
    > >what IP the WRT54G has assigned and set up port forwarding for that IP
    > >than it is to create a static IP for one router and revert to automatic
    > >for the other.

    >
    > No, I'm saying you should leave the two routers alone and set a static
    > IP on the computer you're trying to access.
    >
    > >The ideal, of course, would be if the WRT54G could "reserve" an IP for a
    > >particular machine like the WRT150N can. Maybe I need to buy a new
    > >router.

    >
    > It would be inconceivable to me to consider purchasing a new router
    > before configuring the computer with a static IP or exploring the
    > possibility of loading the existing router with new firmware. Static
    > IP's and firmware are free, while new hardware isn't.
    >
    > An extreme example of what you're proposing is to buy a new car
    > because you don't like the current radio station. :-)


    What I am saying is one router uses the range 192.168.1.100-150 and the
    other uses 192.168.0,100-150. As I understand, the static IP has to be
    in the allowable range for the router and I can't change either router
    to have the same addresses as the other. Consequently, if I set a
    static ip when I am on one router, I will have to change it when I am on
    the other.

    Since I can reserve an IP on the WRT150N, it is easier to determine what
    IP the WRT54G has assigned and to modify port forwarding accordingly.
    It appears that once set the IP doesn't change as long as the network is
    up so this is something I only need to do once when I switch locations
    and not at all when I switch back.

  14. #14
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:30:36 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >In article <qtou26daanaal44i3ac83e4gnhhoku1gg9@4ax.com>,
    > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 07:43:58 -0400, Robert Peirce
    >> <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <1m0t26lk5gsvr3cce5e05588snbgvrs0lb@4ax.com>,
    >> > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> The steps vary slightly, depending on which OS is running on that
    >> >> computer. Here's an example of how to assign a static IP in Windows
    >> >> XP. http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/faq_staticipxp.asp
    >> >
    >> >This turns out to be more trouble than it is worth. The problem is one
    >> >of my routers operates at 192.168.0 and the other is 192.168.1 and the
    >> >computer has to be in one of those ranges.

    >>
    >> I'm not sure what trouble you're having. Setting a static IP on one
    >> computer should take 30-60 seconds, and it's a one time task. Why are
    >> the routers getting involved and causing confusion?
    >>
    >> >It is easier to find out
    >> >what IP the WRT54G has assigned and set up port forwarding for that IP
    >> >than it is to create a static IP for one router and revert to automatic
    >> >for the other.

    >>
    >> No, I'm saying you should leave the two routers alone and set a static
    >> IP on the computer you're trying to access.
    >>
    >> >The ideal, of course, would be if the WRT54G could "reserve" an IP for a
    >> >particular machine like the WRT150N can. Maybe I need to buy a new
    >> >router.

    >>
    >> It would be inconceivable to me to consider purchasing a new router
    >> before configuring the computer with a static IP or exploring the
    >> possibility of loading the existing router with new firmware. Static
    >> IP's and firmware are free, while new hardware isn't.
    >>
    >> An extreme example of what you're proposing is to buy a new car
    >> because you don't like the current radio station. :-)

    >
    >What I am saying is one router uses the range 192.168.1.100-150 and the
    >other uses 192.168.0,100-150. As I understand, the static IP has to be
    >in the allowable range for the router and I can't change either router
    >to have the same addresses as the other. Consequently, if I set a
    >static ip when I am on one router, I will have to change it when I am on
    >the other.


    Are you trying to say that the computer which you're accessing is
    being physically moved from one location to another? I don't think
    you've mentioned that before, so I assumed that this computer was in
    one place and that you needed to access it from one or more _other_
    places.

    >Since I can reserve an IP on the WRT150N, it is easier to determine what
    >IP the WRT54G has assigned and to modify port forwarding accordingly.
    >It appears that once set the IP doesn't change as long as the network is
    >up so this is something I only need to do once when I switch locations
    >and not at all when I switch back.


    Wait, are _you_ switching locations, or is the _computer_ switching
    locations?? Your confusion is starting to splash over everything. :)

    If the computer is staying in one place, then it needs to be on the
    same subnet as the router to which it is physically attached. No other
    routers need to be considered.


  15. #15
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <g1c536tbcqns99evjj4tmqb8boeq253hmb@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > Are you trying to say that the computer which you're accessing is
    > being physically moved from one location to another? I don't think
    > you've mentioned that before, so I assumed that this computer was in
    > one place and that you needed to access it from one or more _other_
    > places.


    Sorry. I thought the fact I was trying to connect to routers in two
    locations explained what I am trying to do. Yes, I take the computer, a
    laptop, from my home, where I have a WRT150N, which can reserve IPs, to
    a vacation home where I have a WRT54G, which cannot.

    It appears the IP assigned by the WRT54G does not change while I am
    there, so the easiest thing seems to be to change the IP for port
    forwarding on the WRT54G to the IP it has assigned.

    I need port forwarding for VNC. Since I am on Verizon, I have to use
    no-ip to track Verizon's IP and I need to have the router assign the
    same IP, if possible, for port forwarding. I can do that with the
    WRT150N, but not the WRT54G.

  16. #16
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:41:14 -0400, Robert Peirce
    <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:

    >In article <g1c536tbcqns99evjj4tmqb8boeq253hmb@4ax.com>,
    > Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Are you trying to say that the computer which you're accessing is
    >> being physically moved from one location to another? I don't think
    >> you've mentioned that before, so I assumed that this computer was in
    >> one place and that you needed to access it from one or more _other_
    >> places.

    >
    >Sorry. I thought the fact I was trying to connect to routers in two
    >locations explained what I am trying to do.


    Nope, not even close, and if I finally understand what you're doing,
    it means I *still* had it exactly backwards in my most recent post,
    quoted above. Yikes, I'm not doing very well.

    >Yes, I take the computer, a
    >laptop, from my home, where I have a WRT150N, which can reserve IPs, to
    >a vacation home where I have a WRT54G, which cannot.


    Ok, I thought you said the computer you were accessing is moving, but
    now I see that the other computer is stationary and it's the laptop
    that's moving. So then the question becomes, which of the two
    computers is initiating the VNC connection? If it's the laptop, you
    shouldn't need port forwarding since the router will automatically
    forward to the laptop. Since you say you need port forwarding, does
    that mean the other computer is initiating the VNC connection to your
    laptop? If so, would it be easier to switch it so that the laptop is
    initiating the VNC connection, thereby avoiding the whole port
    forwarding deal?

    Alternatively, is it feasible to turn off DHCP at one of the laptop
    locations? If so, you could use the Windows "Alternate Configuration"
    feature to configure one location for DHCP and the other location for
    a static IP, thereby allowing the laptop to automagically configure
    itself in both locations. If that's not feasible, you could use an app
    to switch network profiles, or write a small batch file to do the same
    thing.

    Here are some links to apps to get you started.
    http://software-central.berkeley.edu...Netswitcher+II
    http://www.brothersoft.com/easy-net-switch-55372.html
    http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/net-switch.html
    http://3d2f.com/programs/58-037-easy...download.shtml
    http://www.easynetswitch.com/
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...itch-free.html
    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/N...et_Switch.html


  17. #17
    Char Jackson
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 23:39:05 -0500, Char Jackson <none@none.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Alternatively, is it feasible to turn off DHCP at one of the laptop
    >locations? If so, you could use the Windows "Alternate Configuration"
    >feature to configure one location for DHCP and the other location for
    >a static IP, thereby allowing the laptop to automagically configure
    >itself in both locations.


    I meant to include this Microsoft link to help you set up Alternate
    Configuration, in case you think that would work.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283676


  18. #18
    Robert Peirce
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    In article <5nv736d31ruer0qthsnjdh0hsfsrteuern@4ax.com>,
    Char Jackson <none@none.invalid> wrote:

    > Ok, I thought you said the computer you were accessing is moving, but
    > now I see that the other computer is stationary and it's the laptop
    > that's moving. So then the question becomes, which of the two
    > computers is initiating the VNC connection?


    Oh, boy! I am not explaining this well. I have a laptop that I use at
    home and at my vacation home. I have an app on my iPod called Mocha VNC
    Lite that I can use from any public WiFi location to access my computer.
    It uses port 5900 to access VNC on the computer. I don't need it often,
    but when I need it, I need it.

    There are two problems. One is that I use Verizon DSL so my external IP
    is not constant. I use no-ip to get around that. Second, the router
    needs to forward port 5900 to my laptop. At home (WRT150N), I can
    reserve an internal IP for the computer and port forward to that IP. I
    can set it and forget it.

    I can't do that on vacation (WRT54G) because the router can't reserve an
    IP. However, I noticed that once the network is up at my vacation home
    the internal IP doesn't change. Therefore, I decided the easiest route
    was to note the IP that was assigned by the router and tell the router
    to forward port 5900 traffic to that IP.

    In theory, I should only have to do this once when I fire up my DSL
    modem and router. While that is more than zero, it seems to require
    less work than any other alternative I have seen. Further, if I am
    careful of the order in which I bring up the computers when I am on
    vacation, there is a chance the router will assign the same IP each
    time. I haven't checked that, but it makes sense. Then I may just have
    to remember to connect to the network the same way each time.

  19. #19
    Rambo
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    Char Jackson wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 18:41:14 -0400, Robert Peirce
    > <bob@peirce-family.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In article<g1c536tbcqns99evjj4tmqb8boeq253hmb@4ax.com>,
    >> Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are you trying to say that the computer which you're accessing is
    >>> being physically moved from one location to another? I don't think
    >>> you've mentioned that before, so I assumed that this computer was in
    >>> one place and that you needed to access it from one or more _other_
    >>> places.

    >>
    >> Sorry. I thought the fact I was trying to connect to routers in two
    >> locations explained what I am trying to do.

    >
    > Nope, not even close, and if I finally understand what you're doing,
    > it means I *still* had it exactly backwards in my most recent post,
    > quoted above. Yikes, I'm not doing very well.
    >
    >> Yes, I take the computer, a
    >> laptop, from my home, where I have a WRT150N, which can reserve IPs, to
    >> a vacation home where I have a WRT54G, which cannot.

    >
    > Ok, I thought you said the computer you were accessing is moving, but
    > now I see that the other computer is stationary and it's the laptop
    > that's moving.


    There is no "other computer" ...
    I believe that there is only *one* computer, the laptop.
    And *two* routers : WRT150N at home and WRT54G at vacation location.

    --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

  20. #20
    Rambo
    Guest

    Re: Linksys WRT150N vs. WRT54G

    Robert Peirce wrote:
    > In article<5nv736d31ruer0qthsnjdh0hsfsrteuern@4ax.com>,
    > Char Jackson<none@none.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I thought you said the computer you were accessing is moving, but
    >> now I see that the other computer is stationary and it's the laptop
    >> that's moving. So then the question becomes, which of the two
    >> computers is initiating the VNC connection?

    >
    > Oh, boy! I am not explaining this well. I have a laptop that I use at
    > home and at my vacation home. I have an app on my iPod called Mocha VNC
    > Lite that I can use from any public WiFi location to access my computer.
    > It uses port 5900 to access VNC on the computer. I don't need it often,
    > but when I need it, I need it.
    >
    > There are two problems. One is that I use Verizon DSL so my external IP
    > is not constant. I use no-ip to get around that. Second, the router
    > needs to forward port 5900 to my laptop. At home (WRT150N), I can
    > reserve an internal IP for the computer and port forward to that IP. I
    > can set it and forget it.
    >
    > I can't do that on vacation (WRT54G) because the router can't reserve an
    > IP. However, I noticed that once the network is up at my vacation home
    > the internal IP doesn't change. Therefore, I decided the easiest route
    > was to note the IP that was assigned by the router and tell the router
    > to forward port 5900 traffic to that IP.
    >
    > In theory, I should only have to do this once when I fire up my DSL
    > modem and router. While that is more than zero, it seems to require
    > less work than any other alternative I have seen. Further, if I am
    > careful of the order in which I bring up the computers when I am on
    > vacation, there is a chance the router will assign the same IP each
    > time. I haven't checked that, but it makes sense. Then I may just have
    > to remember to connect to the network the same way each time.


    I thnik that the best thing to do is to have a WRT150N at both locations.

    --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

Similar Threads

  1. Linksys tech support live chat transcript - enjoy!!!!
    By jim in forum ms.public.windows.networking.wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-08, 12:19 AM
  2. connect linksys wrt54g & cisco 2514 router
    By nigelatcisco in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-08, 12:27 PM
  3. Linksys WRT54G Ver 7 Resets itself Randomly thus Drops Connections
    By Alterego in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-07, 02:43 AM
  4. Linksys WRT54G and Intel PRO Wireless 2200 : Connection Drops
    By Alterego in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-07, 01:59 PM
  5. Paradyne 6381 to Linksys BEFSR41 to WRT54G
    By jer_stud56 in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-07, 07:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •