Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone fatal flaw (engineering design)

iPhone fatal flaw (engineering design)

Yep....I can confirm this on my own 3GS, completely reproducible...I can completely kill off the data connection in 3G and even halve it on wifi.

Of course the issue is more prominent on the new iPhone 4 because the ****ing antenna is on the outside edge of the damn phone!!!!!

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...yline=true&s=i

Lots of youtube vids showing the same thing in the article.

Easy fix is to keep it in a case.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Tried to reproduce it and couldn't, not on my new iPhone 4 or my old 3G...
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    Tried to reproduce it and couldn't, not on my new iPhone 4 or my old 3G...

Doesn't matter at this point, it's a design flaw in all models.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...+Genius+Report

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=947585

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....75009&tstart=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQNgdogCxg

It's ALL phones and it's reproducible.

Apple may be giving everyone a free case to alleviate the problem.

Also, lots of people are complaining about a yellow stain on the lower left hand side of the screen of the new iPhone. I've seen some pics and that would annoy the hell out of me.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    Doesn't matter at this point, it's a design flaw in all models.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...+Genius+Report

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=947585

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....75009&tstart=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQNgdogCxg

It's ALL phones and it's reproducible.

Apple may be giving everyone a free case to alleviate the problem.
    Some people are so weird. Why are you so contrary? Do you just love to argue? I get that it's happening to other people, but please read carefully - I'll bold it for you: It is not happening to me. So no, it is not "all phones". My phone's workin fine and has been since I got it, and I've tried to reproduce the prob numerous times, as has my bf. It doesn't happen for either of us, and there are plenty of other people, including prominent tech blog writers, who it hasn't happened to. You don't need to link me to macrumours, I read that forum
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    Some people are so weird. Why are you so contrary? Do you just love to argue? I get that it's happening to other people, but please read carefully - I'll bold it for you: It is not happening to me. So no, it is not "all phones". My phone's workin fine and has been since I got it, and I've tried to reproduce the prob numerous times, as has my bf. It doesn't happen for either of us, and there are plenty of other people, including prominent tech blog writers, who it hasn't happened to. You don't need to link me to macrumours, I read that forum

What's weird is your display of rabid fanboyism.

The bottom line is this...it's ALL phones because ALL phones are manufactured to the same specifications. This is not a user error or a software flaw, it's a design flaw validated by none other than Steve Jobs himself. Just because YOU don't experience it doesn't mean the product is not flawed.

Let me give you a good example of how this works...specifically hardware design flaws.

Do you remember the huge Toyota recall for sticky gas pedals? Do you remember the recent GM recall of 1.5 million vehicles for potential fire hazards? Now ask yourself...did EVERYONE who owned one of those vehicles experience sticky gas pedals or fires?????????? The answer to that, as you already are aware, is a resounding NO. But since the flaw exists in all of those vehicles that could potentially cause those abnormal conditions, they were all recalled.

So as I stated before, it doesn't matter if you experience it or not, the flaw still exists. What worries me is your acceptance of a known and validated flaw that could potentially cause you signal loss at the WRONG time. How would you respond if your BF was in need of emergency medical assistance and you couldn't get through on 911 because of signal degradation because of the way you were holding the phone? While it is highly improbable, it is still possible.

As for tech blogs and the rest...PC World just posted 5 hours ago the skinny on the antenna issue:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19985...html?tk=hp_pop

Apple's iPhone 4 signal problems have been the source of a barrage of complaints by customers complaining of a faulty antenna and now Steve Jobs has broken the silence. In an e-mail Jobs downplayed users' reception gripes as a "non-issue." Meanwhile, others within Apple are advising iPhone 4 users to avoid gripping the device from the lower left corner. As the first batch of iPhone 4 smartphones reached the market on Thursday, several users reported that they are having poor reception issues with their new device when holding the phone by its metal sides in two opposite places.

The metal bands surrounding the sides of the iPhone 4 also acts as antennas for the device, and the signal drop problem seems to appear when a user touches both of the black lines on the phone's metal sides towards the bottom, according to corroborated users reports.
    "Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," reads an official Apple statement on Thursday.

"If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases," the statement concludes.
    Jobs also replied to a few complaints sent to his e-mail inbox. One MacRumors reader asked Jobs what is going to be done about the signal dropping issue, and the Apple CEO replied in his typical brief manner: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Spencer Webb, an antenna designer, explains on his blog that the iPhone 4 has two symmetrical slots in the metal frame, which when covered, will affect antenna performance. "There is no way around this, it's a design compromise that is forced by the requirements of the FCC, AT&T, Apple's marketing department and Apple's industrial designers, to name a few," Webb wrote.

Apple currently sells a $29 rubber "Bumper Case" for the iPhone 4 (pictured above), which covers only the sides of the device, something that made Mashable's Barb Dybwad ask whether this indicates that Apple already knew about the potential reception issues with the phone.

PCWorld also did its own tests of iPhone 4 signal and took the new phone for a spin in San Francisco alongside an iPhone 3GS. PCWorld was able to replicate the signal problems when covering the bottom left edge of the phone, something that did not occur when the phone was laid flat on a table with the antenna untouched.

So the answer is to "not hold it that way"???????????

That's unbelievable.

but hey, good for you that you don't experience the issue.

Maybe 9mm has a design flaw in her skin that cancels this out.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Maybe 9mm has a design flaw in her skin that cancels this out.

LOL

when design prevents function or degrades it...it's called failure. I still want one but I'm not going to defend Apple as some blind loyalist. I think it's a shame because I don't like having to use a case on such a beautiful piece of hardware.

I wish I was Jobs' neighbor, I'd be like "Hey I see you put out another version of that fancy phone, but you still forgot to capitalize the 'I'!"

That's why I haven't bought an iPhone- it is proprietary just like the Mac Books, iMacs, etc. Early adopters deserve what they get. Get a frickin' Droid/Win 7 based phone and quit crying.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...ed-volume-keys

And the list grows

In a manufacturing oops from Foxconn,*some iPhone 4s have apparently slipped through quality assurance and are being shipped with reveresed volume keys.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

And grows....

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...oning-properly

Another day, another problem for the iPhone 4. Today’s hot topic issue deals with its proximity sensor. According to a group of concerned iPhone owners on 9to5mac, the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4 isn’t quite sensitive enough and carriers a large potential for in-call issues. Users are reporting that the sensor has a tendency to think the phone is away from one’s face when it is in fact not. This can lead to user’s cheeks doing everything from muting calls to hitting the end button.

How to speed test with a iPhone4!!

How to help correct that issue in the future!!

If all that fails.... call on Yoda to help!!

Sava, this was an informative thread until you started mistaking it as your funny pics thread.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Sava, this was an informative thread until you started mistaking it as your funny pics thread.
    Pictures are very informative!

I've noted the 3g signal degrade when I've tried to reproduce the issues, though I haven't had an issue with any dropped calls yet.
    WiFi doesn't seem to be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.