Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Kid's hat banned from school

  1. #1
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,278

    Kid's hat banned from school

    For wearing a flag and toy soldiers to honor the military. He's from the town i live in now. It's blowing up everywhere.

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/...rmy_hat_banned

    A Rhode Island boy whose school banned a hat he made because the toy soldiers on it carried tiny guns was awarded a medal on Friday for his patriotic efforts.
    Lt. Gen. Reginald Centracchio, the retired head of the Rhode Island National Guard, gave 8-year-old David Morales a medal called a challenge coin during an appearance on WPRO-AM's John DePetro show.
    I listen to DePetro, York and Cianci alot on 99.7FM

  2. #2
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Administrators of schools these days are damned if they do and damned if they don't....

  3. #3
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Administrators of schools these days are damned if they do and damned if they don't....
    No. They simply lack common sense.

  4. #4
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    No. They simply lack common sense.
    Well think about it.. you do something someone complains, you don't do something someone complains. I think I read somewhere that teachers are catching up to dentists in the suicide rates.

  5. #5
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Well think about it.. you do something someone complains, you don't do something someone complains. I think I read somewhere that teachers are catching up to dentists in the suicide rates.
    Teachers yes, they are damned no matter what, but their administration board, no.

  6. #6
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    The zero tolerance policy is ridiculous in and of itself. It was written with NO common sense.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  7. #7
    So the principal (teacher, school board, or whoever) thought the guns on the toy soldiers violated the zero tolerance policy on weapons? Wow. A pencil is a more dangerous weapon than the plastic gun held by a toy soldier. Maybe they should outlaw pencils and pens and make everybody finger paint everything.

    Love this quote from the article: "We can only hope that kids of your caliber will continue to defend this country." Caliber....guns....

  8. #8
    Ft. Couch! morbidpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    W. Warwick RI
    Posts
    7,278
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDude View Post
    Love this quote from the article: "We can only hope that kids of your caliber will continue to defend this country." Caliber....guns....
    Didn't pick up on that. Nice catch

  9. #9
    Freedom Fighter jeremyboycool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,987
    Wow, that is really, really boring.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

  10. #10
    Moderator YeOldeStonecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Posts
    50,919
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    The zero tolerance policy is ridiculous in and of itself. It was written with NO common sense.
    Agreed..."no common sense"....clearly a small toy soldiers solid molded plastic gun is obviously harmless, and cannot be mistaken for a real gun.

    I had a couple of tie clips frim my dad...one was a Remington shotgun, the other was a competition pistol. I'm guessing the school would have confiscated those if I walked in wearing them.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Miggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    138
    This is what happens when you let the bleeding heart liberals take God out of school.
    I Hope He Fails

  12. #12
    SG Enthusiast Leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Posts
    3,613
    Recent polls show that the amount of testosterone in modern males is declining at an alarming rate...
    USMC RETIRED

    Steve

    Tacoma Guitar Forum

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Wow, that is really, really boring.
    Boring as it may be, it is in fact representative of how silly and pathetic "zero tolerance policies" are. Often there will also be a zero tolerance policy in schools for drugs, so you end up with students getting suspended or expelled for bringing Tylenol or Advil to school. Which is obviously an unnecessary punishment and should never happen for those types of drugs, but they do happen, and it has a major negative effect on the school record of the child. Try to get into a good university with a suspension or expulsion for drug/weapons possession on your transcript and see what happens.
    If these types of ridiculous policies are brought to light, as with the original post then maybe some change can be enacted in the future.
    Boring or not, I'm glad when posts like these provide a glimpse into some of the ridiculous behavior that goes on with public officials.

    Rant aside, I was glad to read that the school superintendent reversed his/her decision about the toy soldiers on the hat.

  14. #14
    Freedom Fighter jeremyboycool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,987
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDude View Post
    Boring as it may be, it is in fact representative of how silly and pathetic "zero tolerance policies" are. Often there will also be a zero tolerance policy in schools for drugs, so you end up with students getting suspended or expelled for bringing Tylenol or Advil to school. Which is obviously an unnecessary punishment and should never happen for those types of drugs, but they do happen, and it has a major negative effect on the school record of the child. Try to get into a good university with a suspension or expulsion for drug/weapons possession on your transcript and see what happens.
    If these types of ridiculous policies are brought to light, as with the original post then maybe some change can be enacted in the future.
    Boring or not, I'm glad when posts like these provide a glimpse into some of the ridiculous behavior that goes on with public officials.

    Rant aside, I was glad to read that the school superintendent reversed his/her decision about the toy soldiers on the hat.
    It has nothing to do with zero tolerance policies. It's over zealousness, which is very common in the world, and certainty not news. It is also over zealousness that makes this gossip (this is gossip, not news), news worthy and is, also, what causes some to get all worked-up over a trivial event. The absurdity of the actions of the "school" is no more absurd the this being "news" nor of the reaction of the over righteous reader. What is even more absurd, is that in a weeks time, this boy and his hat will be forgotten by the head shakers and with no actions take by them to right this horrible wrong. Which will only go to show that the express concern was really superficial concern.
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 06-21-10 at 11:57 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

  15. #15
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    This is what happens when you let the bleeding heart liberals take God out of school.
    The hell does God have to do with school?


  16. #16
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    The hell does God have to do with school?

    God's pro-war. Didn't you know that?

  17. #17
    SG Enthusiast Leatherneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    The Great Midwest
    Posts
    3,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    The hell does God have to do with school?

    Apparently not much to also include respect, courtesy & that one thing they used to do....learning.
    USMC RETIRED

    Steve

    Tacoma Guitar Forum

  18. #18
    SG Enthusiast Far-N-Wide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    His Tavern of Solitude
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    God's pro-war. Didn't you know that?
    As are all us proud to be American, flag waving non-liberals.
    USAF RETIRED

  19. #19
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    As are all us proud to be American, flag waving non-liberals.
    I suppose some might actually believe that.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Miggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I suppose some might actually believe that.
    There still are some people that are proud to be American, you know, hard working responsible people, then there are some people that are generous with other people's money.
    I Hope He Fails

Similar Threads

  1. No-Oreo zone: Kids at school can't bring processed food
    By Roody in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-16-10, 10:44 AM
  2. Unique High School Football Offense To be Banned..
    By knightmare in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-09, 03:12 PM
  3. High costs land on school cafeteria trays
    By Roody in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-08, 11:26 AM
  4. School Shooter Under Influence of Psychiatric Drugs
    By TonyT in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-07, 03:55 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-07, 08:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •