Thread: And the next bailout goes to.......

Thumbs down And the next bailout goes to.......

the unions? If unions cannot pay their members, they should increase union dues. I'm not part of a union, I am not going to pay union dues. If I must start paying union dues, I want all the union benefits.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-...nsion-bailout/

A Democratic senator is introducing legislation for a bailout of troubled union pension funds. If passed, the bill could put another $165 billion in liabilities on the shoulders of American taxpayers.

The bill, which would put the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation behind struggling pensions for union workers, is being introduced by Senator Bob Casey, (D-Pa.), who says it will save jobs and help people.

As FOX Business Network’s Gerri Willis reported Monday, these pensions are in bad shape; as of 2006, well before the market dropped and recession began, only 6% of these funds were doing well.

Although right now taxpayers could possibly be on the hook for $165 billion, the liability could essentially be unlimited because these pensions have to be paid out until the workers die.

It’s hard to say at the moment what the chances are that the bill will pass. A hearing is scheduled Thursday, which will give the public a sense of where political leaders sit on the topic, said Willis.

Just last week President Obama said there would be no more bailouts.

Lets see if Obama holds true...I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

It'll get termed something other then bailout and go through.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

I'm very much in favor of having unions, but this is an issue between the union and its members. And it should be handled that way. The union either needs to raise dues, charge for some of its free services, cut excess staff, or the members of the unions need to agree on a compromised pension.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I'm very much in favor of having unions, but this is an issue between the union and its members. And it should be handled that way. The union either needs to raise dues, charge for some of its free services, cut excess staff, or the members of the unions need to agree on a compromised pension.
    Agreed

nicely put. i use to be a member of the union and there are people there that get paid to stand there and look busy/important. a lot of wasted pay goes to staff that have no real duties or at least that could be absorbed by others.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Lets see if Obama holds true...I wouldn't hold my breath.
    "Change you can live with". Lets see right now... I have .38 cents in my pocket.
    USAF RETIRED

Unions are a waste... I'm obviously against them no matter what positives they may have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Unions are a waste... I obviously don't belong to one so I'll talk bad about them
    Fixed

Yep
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Fixed

Unions are a waste... I'm obviously against them no matter what positives they may have.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Note: I do agree with union policies that dictate safe working. I don't want my pilot on my flight to europe going on his 98th hour that week.

But besides that....unions are about money. They take money from the kid who bags your groceries at safeway and give nothing back to him if he's motivated beyond that store.

Auto industry in america dying------------------->unions
    Education failing in america---------------------->unions
    Most government jobs with useless employees---->unions

Need I go on?
    Last edited by SlyOneDoofy; 05-28-10 at 12:41 AM.
    Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post

Note: I do agree with union policies that dictate safe working. I don't want my pilot on my flight to europe going on his 98th hour that week.

But besides that....unions are about money. They take money from the kid who bags your groceries at safeway and give nothing back to him if he's motivated beyond that store.

Auto industry in america dying------------------->unions
    Education failing in america---------------------->unions
    Most government jobs with useless employees---->unions

Need I go on?

The money they take from that kid, they give back in terms of services, like healthcare, a lawyer for work related issues, money for time off due to injuries, money for funeral expenses should it be needed in some cases. And with larger unions that span multiple companies and jobs, you can get vetted and carry your benefits you've started at 1 job over to another.

The unions are only 1 factor in why the auto industry are failing, but yes the UAW is a problem.

Our education system isn't failing because of the teachers union, its failing cuz its outdated and supporting whiny parents not wanting to hear that their kid or they themselves are the problem.

Those useless government people would still be there without the union, just like the useless non government workers.

Those useless government people would still be there without the union, just like the useless non government workers.
    Why do you keep looking at me?!?!?!?!?!?!
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Blog Entries
    Raising monthly dues will hurt some Union members.. I don't think that is a good idea. Certain "grade" members make more money then others, some have better health care and benefits then others. Those "lesser" members are struggling to make ends meet. Do I think all of the Union financial managers need to (*cough*) look into who has the deepest pocket? (*cough*), you bet.

This Fox News article references to the "Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation", not all Unions have this benefit. So if this bill goes through, it will only cover "certain" Unions. Interesting..

I'm half and half on Unions. I was in one before, for close to 10 years. The union was good if I had a issue with pay, benefits or hours work, but not good in regards to representing me with problems and issues involving management. The last two years before I left my job, the union was listening only to "certain" departments and not mine, in regards to health care increases and also lay-offs. As a results I had to get another job. I have been hearing that favoritism of this sort, within Unions are very common. Unions are suppose to be fair across the board to all individuals that are a part of that Union.. that's 100% not true.

Now on the flip side of the coin, I've worked in several non-union jobs where I wished there was a union in place to negotiate yearly raises, and work hours, as certain companies dance close to or slightly over the "legal line" in regards to hours worked and overtime Ect. Not to mention management harassment issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    Education failing in america---------------------->parents and school boards
    Fixed.

I'm going for real popularity here. I'm with you on this one. I've belonged to a couple of different unions and none of them were worth a damn. All they did was take your money and leave you standing alone against the employer. Organized crime is more what I call it.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Unions aren't a problem, the people that inhabit them are.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Why do you keep looking at me?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Because you're wearing underwear that says "Slippery When Wet" on the back.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!