Thread: Very low upload speed, web pages load slow, terrible gaming lag spikes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very low upload speed, web pages load slow, terrible gaming lag spikes

I just got moved into a new apartment. The old place had time warner and everything ran fine. When I tried to play some games last night things would run smooth for a few seconds, then I would get a huge lag spike (probably averaged every 8-10 seconds). I rarely got disconnected. Web pages load very slow, sometimes with errors.

I have my ethernet cable plugged directly into the wall jack, I've tried using a different cable. I've also ran speedtest.net on my fiance's computer, similar results, same slow webpage loading.

Speedtest.net shows my ISP as Qwest, when I called the apartment they gave me the number for crossnet.

Any ideas?

Edit: Got off the phone with crossnet, they said they have one line running into each building which is shared by everyone, the problem is caused by high traffic on that line. Guess I'm stuck with this garbage.
    Last edited by brocky6100; 05-20-10 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brocky6100 View Post
    Edit: Got off the phone with crossnet, they said they have one line running into each building which is shared by everyone, the problem is caused by high traffic on that line. Guess I'm stuck with this garbage.
    Ya that sucks. Maybe you could get some Wireless option like the at&t air cards instead?

Not sure how the pings would be on that.

Here's my air card from AT&T. High latency with these, keep in mind though I'm on the very edge of 3G coverage. I usually only have 1 bar out of 5 for signal quality.

In town it's 4 bars.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Poo, I was thinking it might be somewhat decent, maybe in an area with better coverage.

Well, got the situation resolved. I was able to get time warner roadrunner, it's working great. I thought I might not be able to; when my fiancée lived here a couple years ago they wouldn't allow them to provide internet here for some reason.

Thanks for the info on the AT&T air card though, had thought about getting one of those.

Now I'm having a strange problem setting up a wireless network, which I will make another post about.