Thread: Collard Greens

Collard Greens

I love collards. I had some today (little country soul-food place) that were awesome . Possibly the best I ever had. Anyone else like collards, or soul-food?
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yup! Gotta have pork fat 'n em, as well as hot pepper flakes.
    I love so pretty much all types of food, one of my favorite things to do..try cuisine from different cultures.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Yup! Gotta have pork fat 'n em, as well as hot pepper flakes.
    I love so pretty much all types of food, one of my favorite things to do..try cuisine from different cultures.
    My wife makes them with a ham hock. I think these were probably made with ox tail.
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

Ox tail is awesome, I had some a month or so ago.

I have a sudden craving for tripe.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Menudo, testicles, collard greens ... stuff I won't eat

My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B View Post
    Menudo, testicles, collard greens ... stuff I won't eat

I'm with ya on the nuts...I eat a lot of weird food, but animal genitals...I'll always pass on that.

I do love menudo.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Love soul food, but I'll pass on the collard.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Love collards

Just picked up some beets on my way home from work. Got a funny look from the checker as I bought a 20pk of beer, a 32oz beer, and some beets

Different from collards but I like beet greens as much as the beets themselves. Also all the chards and kales

Rinse them, tear them up a bit, let them stay wet in the colander, saute some mushrooms and onions and garlic along with the collard/kale/chard stems, add pepper and some Braggs or soy sauce, little bit of red wine if there's any, maybe a bit of mustard. Add the greens once the stems are done and let the whole thing steam for a bit.

I could live off the stuff. Hell, I do live off the stuff (that and beer).

JC, you have any kind of garden? Most greens are wicked easy to grow and even a few plants would be almost more than your family could eat.

Blog Entries
    Kale and collards are going in the garden this year. The rhubarb has already turned into a monster again.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Kale and collards are going in the garden this year. The rhubarb has already turned into a monster again.
    Which kale David?

I have some 3 year-old Red Russian kale, Green kale, Red Swiss Chard and Golden Swiss Chard. They're getting huge but as long as you keep the aphids off them they do fine and put out tons of new growth. Top whenever they bolt.

YOSC can you describe the flavor of Tripe?
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Which kale David?

I have some 3 year-old Red Russian kale, Green kale, Red Swiss Chard and Golden Swiss Chard. They're getting huge but as long as you keep the aphids off them they do fine and put out tons of new growth. Top whenever they bolt.
    We went with green. Kale finds itself on our plate at least once a week. It mates well with sun dried tomatoes.

Aphids are not a problem in NJ, thanks to the ladybug invasion.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    YOSC can you describe the flavor of Tripe?
    For fresh tripe, it's very subtle, mild, not quite like a meat taste, but I can't put my finger on what else it tastes like. Nothing mineral or iron like such as other organs like liver or kidneys.

I actually like pickled tripe much more...I cook it with stewed tomatoes. I ate it often when I was young, as it was one of my fathers favorite meals. For a first timer....fresh tripe might be to offensive....esp the odor when cooking it unless you cook it in a stew heavy with other flavors.

Anyone remember the old Campbells Soup flavor called "Pepper Pot Stew"? That was basically a light version of Menudo. Those little off-white cubes in there are tripe. I haven't seen Pepper Pot Stew on the soup shelf of the market in years.

The texture of it will fend off most American palates...as Americans are usually a lot more conservative in what they'll eat. It's like...3/4 jello like with 1/4 elastic mixed in..a very slight rubbery texture that breaks down quite easily.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    JC, you have any kind of garden? Most greens are wicked easy to grow and even a few plants would be almost more than your family could eat.
    Yeah, we do have a small garden. I might be a tad late but I'm going to add a few collards this weekend.
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I'm with ya on the nuts...I eat a lot of weird food, but animal genitals...I'll always pass on that.

I do love menudo.

I don't know how often you get to the south but.... Have you ever tried Country Scrapple or Souse?
    Re.....Spect "walk"!