Thread: WARNING: MS10-030 may disable manual install of Windows Mail in Windows 7

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation WARNING: MS10-030 may disable manual install of Windows Mail in Windows 7

Maybe a Moderator can sticky this for a bit.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on one of my workstations, and Windows Professional 64 bit on another workstation. On both I have manually installed Windows Mail. After installing Microsoft Security Bulletin MS10-030 which supposedly was to resolve a vulnerability affecting Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail, "Windows Mail" that I manually added to Windows 7 just "hangs" in task manager and does not open, on both versions of Windows 7. The only way I was able to re-enable Windows Mail was to do a system restore, from a earlier restore point.

Shinobi

Blog Entries
    I tried what the MVP is suggesting.. but that did not fix the issue. I believe that this security update actually modifies the registry settings...

I've said it athousand times:
    Windows Updates are not necessary until Service Packs are released. (home users) Yes, there are security fixes and updates, but the odds of encountering one of the exploits are slim at best.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I've said it a thousand times:
    Windows Updates are not necessary until Service Packs are released. (home users) Yes, there are security fixes and updates, but the odds of encountering one of the exploits are slim at best.
    Well ... I don't want to debate about the needs for updates and patches.. I just hope Microsoft will either "Fix" or just warn end users that this patch will disable Windows Mail in Windows 7.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I'm a firm believer in maintaining updates....I can't count how many times malware hits the internet...and I'll check out what vulnerabilities the latest fad uses, and find out Microsoft released an update to fix it something like 6 months ago..and I breath a sigh of relief. A couple of years ago tons of viruses rape various DCOM and RPC exploits...and PCs behind on their updates were the ones that got whacked. PCs that maintained their updates...simple shrugged off the bad guys like water off a ducks back. You couldn't install the virus if you tried to!

It's nice when a client reads some overhyped article or hears on the news..about the latest virus of the week...and they come and ask me "What can we do about this?" And I reply..."Don't worry, you were already protected 5 months ago!"

For many many many years...I've adopted this with many clients. I can count on one hand..and have plenty of fingers left over..how many times an update borked something. And I've have a hard time keeping up with the number of times updates have helped prevent something.

//loves WSUS
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post

//loves WSUS
    //loves SMS ?

//loves SCCM ?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    //loves SMS ?

//loves SCCM ?

Nah....my clients aren't that big...I have one client that's sorta large enough, where I'm at right now, they're about 70x nodes (30 of which are laptops), 6x servers.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I wait weeks, sometimes months before I do Windows updates.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Nah....my clients aren't that big...I have one client that's sorta large enough, where I'm at right now, they're about 70x nodes (30 of which are laptops), 6x servers.
    Ya gotta love the new SCCM with the remote reimage via PXE Boot.