Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm so disgusted....

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    If you are not interested you are probably doing the caller a favor by just hanging up, instead wasting their time. Not a rude hang up but just a simple click. However, if you want them to stop calling, then you need to ask to be removed from their calling list. It may not seem to make any impact at first but keep asking and it should help. Putting yourself on the national DNC list could help as well. This will not effect all charities, as some are exempt, but it should help.

EDIT**Also, remember that with the national DNC list you are have to redo that every 3 years.
    Good advice all around. I ended up getting a total of four charity calls last night. Heck, I don't even know if some of them are legit and they're asking for help. When I tell them that, they put the onus on me to research their legitimacy. Excuse me?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    en Francais
    I' ; m I désolé don' ; t parlent anglais. Pressez un pour le Français ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    Good advice all around. I ended up getting a total of four charity calls last night. Heck, I don't even know if some of them are legit and they're asking for help. When I tell them that, they put the onus on me to research their legitimacy. Excuse me?
    I am on the do not call list and I receive zero solicitation calls. The only businesses/organizations that call are ones that I already do business with. I highly recommend it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDude View Post
    I am on the do not call list and I receive zero solicitation calls. The only businesses/organizations that call are ones that I already do business with. I highly recommend it.
    Wish I could say the same...I've been on that for years..but something happened where that wasn't as strong as it was. Lately been getting solits on my cell phone..even though it's on the list. Just a day or two ago..some window place wanting me to replace my windows. I'm at my office the other day..and one calls my colleague...he's yelling at them on his phone telling them to #$%^ off.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDude View Post
    I think I'm on a list like that for business solicitation but I didn't know there was one for charities!

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Wish I could say the same...I've been on that for years..but something happened where that wasn't as strong as it was. Lately been getting solits on my cell phone..even though it's on the list. Just a day or two ago..some window place wanting me to replace my windows. I'm at my office the other day..and one calls my colleague...he's yelling at them on his phone telling them to #$%^ off.
    5 charity solicitations on my home phone in under eight hours. The last one just a minute ago.

I was looking into it and it seems things have changed since I lasted checked it out. Your phone number no longer expires off the list after a certain amount of time. Only if the number was disconnected and reassigned will it be removed from the list or if you remove it yourself. So if you had your number disconnected then reconnected for any reason you would need to put yourself back on the list. You can register your number by calling 1-888-382-1222 or go here https://www.donotcall.gov/. You can also verify that your number is indeed on the list by calling that number or the link, so if you are unsure then check it out. Here is a Q&A on the federal law: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt107.shtm

I also was looking in to the charities that are effected by federal law. It looks like I was mistaken or either they just changed things on me. But charities are not effected by the DNC list, at all. However a charity will have to abide by the federal law if they are using a third-party call center to do the dirty work. Which means if you ask to be removed they must remove you. Although, I imagine they would remove you if you ask, whether it is required by law or not. I don't know many use a third party but apparently in this setup the third party gets a portion of your donation. So be weary, if you donate, all your money might not even be going to the charity.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    So be weary, if you donate, all your money might not even be going to the charity.
    Another concern of mine. I think I'm just going to say "I give my donations through mail requests." And then hang up. There is no peace here anymore.

It's all a scam.

When they call and ask for me by name I only reply with "May I ask who's calling". This is where they usually give the name of some cause but if you listen closely they are really just an outside company solicting for that cause. I then politely say that I'm not interested and ask them to take me off there list and then hang up.

If you check reports online about what percentage of your money actually goes towards helping the cause you'll find that in many cases it can be less than 50%.

My charity begins at home. When extended family members need a hand I am there for them. That way I know exactly where the money is going i.e. buying a car, paying for car insurance, helping with tuition etc.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    It's all a scam.

When they call and ask for me by name I only reply with "May I ask who's calling". This is where they usually give the name of some cause but if you listen closely they are really just an outside company solicting for that cause. I then politely say that I'm not interested and ask them to take me off there list and then hang up.

If you check reports online about what percentage of your money actually goes towards helping the cause you'll find that in many cases it can be less than 50%.

My charity begins at home. When extended family members need a hand I am there for them. That way I know exactly where the money is going i.e. buying a car, paying for car insurance, helping with tuition etc.
    You make good sense.

Can I be in your family?

Certified SG Addict
    You sound like a total bitch.

I think I'm on a list like that for business solicitation but I didn't know there was one for charities!
    I didn't mean to imply that I was on one for charities too, just the regular do not call list. Since I don't get bothered by charities I assumed it was due to the DNC list, but according to the info provided by jeremyboycool it would seem to not be so.
    Last edited by ThaDude; 05-12-10 at 11:37 PM. Reason: removed some text

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I suppose I do sometimes.

I get calls asking for Mrs. Haggis. Creepy.
    Dead peoples mail creeps me out as well

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I've given this some thought.

Funny, this comment was uncalled for. I wasn't even engaged in conversation with Burke. But, not a word out of any of ya. Why? Because you guys do not tolerate outsiders. Someone can kick them in the teeth, call them obtuse, tell them they look like a grandma, and the list goes on and on. And you guys actually join in to support the attacker.

I've tried to defend myself here and I have gotten no suppport.

You people are a like a small town in deliverance, you don't cotton to outsiders. You are suspicious, and hostile. Clearly, I am not welcome here.

Blog Entries
    You might want to reconsider your approach. You might think you are correct, but obviously something has gone awry. Whenever I am having a day where it seems that everyone is pissing me off, I realize that the common denominator to all the misery is.... me.

Please take it as very friendly advice.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Funny, this comment was uncalled for. I wasn't even engaged in conversation with Burke. But, not a word out of any of ya. Why? Because you guys do not tolerate outsiders. Someone can kick them in the teeth, call them obtuse, tell them they look like a grandma, and the list goes on and on. And you guys actually join in to support the attacker.

You people are a like a small town in deliverance, you don't cotton to outsiders. You are suspicious, and hostile. Clearly, I am not welcome here.
    Don't let a few of them bring you down. Just use the ignore feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    I get calls asking for Mrs. Haggis. Creepy.
    Dead peoples mail creeps me out as well
    I get mail all the time for a woman who was murdered by her husband a couple years ago.

It IS creepy.

Don't assume everyone's attacking you.

I called you obtuse because that's exactly what you were being. Several weeks ago (and I might add your own comment from that thread, "Can't you move on?").

Burke said you sound like a bitch cause he's pretty much an ass. Hell, if he's calling you a bitch about the way you handle telemarketers I wonder what the hell he does...argue them to death?

The fact that a lot of people here are used to his posts and ignore him doesn't mean we're, "joining in to support the attacker" by any means.

Its the internet being the internet, its Burke being Burke, and all of us just being us.

You're an easy target here cuz this is a site about broadband and you only talk politics, easy to call you a troll, like the others, and I don't know if thats wrong.

If you don't like it, well then Offtopic has a political area, its called "Die In a Crossfire" But then if you think we're mean, maybe you're too delicate for them. lol

There is a problem here with people assuming new members are just old members with new names, but thats partially because the trolls are allowed to troll.