Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm so disgusted....

SG Enthusiast

I'm so disgusted....

Every day when I'm going about my business I get at least one call from some charity/relief fund asking for money. There are hundreds that call over the span of a year.

I am not a stingy person...but I am in a good frame of mind at home. It's my refuge. A place where I can determine from one moment to the next what my plans are and how to handle my affairs.

When the phone rings, bam. It's some needy cause that wants a pledge. I tell them that I consider all requests through the mail. They tell me that they would just like an idea how much I could give. $5? $10 $20 etc etc etc...

I tell them I don't know until I get the request with my monthly bills and see what I can do. They ask if they can put me down for the minimum so they can keep better track of how much they are receiving.

By now a good five minutes has gone by. Multiply that by about five calls a week, (sometimes more), 52 weeks a year X at least 5 minutes a phone call filled with someone pleading for some sort of financial aid.

I consider this intrusive and I hate hanging up on charities but I can't give to them all and I don't want to spend even one minute of my precious time explaining why.

I'm willing to receive and consider the offer through the mail, it's not good enough. I just got another call from a prevously unknown charity. We played out the same old 5-10 minute routine. My stomach is in knots.

Come over to my place. Collection agencies calling at least 5 times a day and now some moron with no number is calling my cell phone too. I'm not wasting money to answer and ream them.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    Come over to my place. Collection agencies calling at least 5 times a day and now some moron with no number is calling my cell phone too. I'm not wasting money to answer and ream them.
    Charities are difficult to diss. Collection agencies, I'd feel free to exercise free speech.

Grow a pair and hang up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    Charities are difficult to diss. Collection agencies, I'd feel free to exercise free speech.
    I get the charities too, but thought you might like a change of venue.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Oh dear......I don't think I could bring myself to do that. I mean I could try.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    I get the charities too, but thought you might like a change of venue.
    I used to know a collector. He was meaner than a wildcat on the job. It might be fun going head to head with a collector, but I'd rather pay my five bucks a month towards the debt than mix it up.

I mean, after all, I got you guys to get my blood boiling.

If I dont know who is calling, and they sound like a sales pitch of any kind, I hang up on them. Theres only a small window for people to change my mind about hanging up on them.

What I donate to charities and which ones I pick aren't affected by an annoying call so it has no bearing.

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I started a charity of my own. It's called "Penguin Liberation Front". We liberate penguins, now donate to our cause pl0x.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Quote Originally Posted by UbahPenguin View Post
    I started a charity of my own. It's called "Penguin Liberation Front". We liberate penguins, now donate to our cause pl0x.
    What distinguishes you from PETA, other than focusing on 1 animal?

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What distinguishes you from PETA, other than focusing on 1 animal?
    we have e-cookies?
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Not good enough!

SG Enthusiast
    If I dont know who is calling, and they sound like a sales pitch of any kind, I hang up on them. Theres only a small window for people to change my mind about hanging up on them.

What I donate to charities and which ones I pick aren't affected by an annoying call so it has no bearing.
    Well, that makes sense to me. Thanks for that angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    Well, that makes sense to me. Thanks for that angle.
    Similar to what YOS does, just not as rude, more a combination of your approach and his.

I'm polite, I give them a few seconds and cut them off if they're still running at the mouth.

If they'd like to send me something by mail I'd be glad to take a look at it, but otherwise they're SOL.

If they keep talking after that I hang up on them. Most of the time they thank me for my time, we tell each other, "Have a good day", and it only wastes 20 seconds of my time.

Class act, let me guess, single ?
    I Hope He Fails

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Class act, let me guess, single ?
    Ya, I can't settle down with just one charity.

Screen your calls with caller ID?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Similar to what YOS does, just not as rude, more a combination of your approach and his.

I'm polite, I give them a few seconds and cut them off if they're still running at the mouth.

If they'd like to send me something by mail I'd be glad to take a look at it, but otherwise they're SOL.

If they keep talking after that I hang up on them. Most of the time they thank me for my time, we tell each other, "Have a good day", and it only wastes 20 seconds of my time.
    Ha! Maybe I'll use the 20 second rule. But I hear ya.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OSULLY View Post
    Screen your calls with caller ID?
    So, if I don't know the number, I shouldn't answer? I don't know. Is getting caller ID worth it? I never tried it.

If you are not interested you are probably doing the caller a favor by just hanging up, instead wasting their time. Not a rude hang up but just a simple click. However, if you want them to stop calling, then you need to ask to be removed from their calling list. It may not seem to make any impact at first but keep asking and it should help. Putting yourself on the national DNC list could help as well. This will not effect all charities, as some are exempt, but it should help.

EDIT**Also, remember that with the national DNC list you are have to redo that every 3 years.
    Last edited by jeremyboycool; 05-11-10 at 11:51 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking