Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama picks Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

Post Obama picks Elena Kagan for Supreme Court

From what I have read she has had a lot of success working with both sides. Don't know a lot about her yet, but from what I have seen her confirmation is probably going to be a given.

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Monday nominated Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court, declaring she would demonstrate the same independence, integrity and passion for the law exhibited by retiring Justice John Paul Stevens.

"Elena is widely regarded as one of the nation's foremost legal minds," said Obama. "She's a trail-blazing leader."

The president also praised Kagan's temperament and her practice of "understanding before disagreeing."

Kagan called the Supreme Court an "extraordinary institution," one that advances "the tenets of our Constitution." She called her nomination "the honor of a lifetime."

Her selection, reported late Sunday by NBC News, positions the court to have three female justices for the first time in its history.

Kagan, 50, is known as sharp and politically savvy and has enjoyed a blazing legal career. She was the first female dean of Harvard Law School and the first woman to serve as the top Supreme Court lawyer for any administration.

Kagan would be the youngest justice on the court, which would give her the opportunity to extend Obama's legacy for a generation. She would also bring some fresh blood to the court's liberal wing in replacing the 90-year-old Stevens.

Democrats went 15 years without a Supreme Court appointment until Obama chose federal appellate judge Sonia Sotomayor last year to succeed retiring Justice David Souter.

When George W. Bush was in the White House, there was a conservative shift in the court's composition with the addition of Samuel Alito to replace Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, a moderate whose vote often made the difference in ideologically charged cases.

Kagan must win Senate confirmation, and she is expected to in the Democrat-led chamber. However, Republicans are likely to grill Kagan over her experience, her thin record of legal writings and her objections to the military's policy about gays.

Supreme Court confirmation hearings are often politically charged events, and it could be especially heated coming just months before November congressional elections.

To stop her from becoming the nation's 112th justice, Democrats would have to abandon Obama and his second high court pick or almost all of the GOP senators would have to agree to filibuster the nomination — more than a year after seven of them voted for Kagan to become the solicitor general. It is unlikely that Republicans will try to block her, said Manuel Miranda, chairman of the conservative Third Branch Conference.

A source close to the selection process said a central element in Obama's choice was Kagan's reputation for bringing together people of competing views and earning their respect.

Aides involved in the selection process tell NBC News that the president called Kagan at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday to tell her that she had been selected as the nominee.

Kagan came to the fore as a candidate who had worked closely with all three branches of government, a legal mind with both a sense of modesty and sense of humor. The source spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss factors that led to Kagan's impending nomination.

Kagan has clerked for Thurgood Marshall, worked for Bill Clinton and earned a stellar reputation as a student, teacher and manager of the elite academic world. Her standing has risen in Obama's eyes as his government's lawyer before the high court over the last year.

She is known for having won over liberal and conservative faculty at the difficult-to-unite Harvard Law School, where she served as dean for nearly six years.

As solicitor general, Kagan represents the U.S. government and defends acts of Congress before the Supreme Court and decides when to appeal lower court rulings.

Despite her background in law, Kagan would be the first justice without judicial experience in almost 40 years. The last two were William H. Rehnquist and Lewis F. Powell Jr., both of whom joined the court in 1972.

All of the three other finalists she beat out for the job are federal appeals court judges, and all nine of the current justices served on the federal bench before being elevated.

The White House is expected to frame Kagan's lack of service as a judge in upbeat terms, underscoring that there are many qualified routes to the top of the judiciary.

Supreme Court justices wield enormous power over the daily life of Americans. Any one of them can cast the deciding vote on matters of life and death, individual freedoms and government power. Presidents serve four-year terms; justices have tenure for life.

If Kagan is confirmed, it would be the first time that the nine-member Supreme Court would have three women on the bench. She would be just the fourth woman to serve on the court, following current Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor and retired Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

She would be the third Jewish justice along with six Catholics. With Stevens' retirement, the court will have no Protestants, the most prevalent denomination in the U.S.

Kagan, who is unmarried, was born in New York City. She holds a bachelor's degree from Princeton, a master's degree from Oxford and a law degree from Harvard.

Kagan and Obama both taught at the University of Chicago Law School in the early 1990s.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36967616...supreme_court/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/...ex.html?hpt=T1

Some comments from Conservatives.

Praise from conservatives
    In the Senate vote to confirm her as solicitor general, she got seven Republican votes, including votes from conservatives Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona.
    "She is a superb lawyer and an awesomely intelligent person. In discussion with students and in conference and dispute with colleagues she has a deftness, a quickness and an aptness of phrase -- with no tincture at all of pomposity or self-importance -- that show she will be able to argue to the Court with consummate skill ... She is a wonderful person, direct, honest, and fearless." -- Charles Fried, Harvard Law School professor who served as solicitor general from 1985 to 1989 under President Reagan.

"Her success at Harvard resulted from her shrewd ability to bridge disagreement ... It might seem over the top to say that Kagan combines principles, pragmatism and good judgment better than anyone I have ever met. But it is true." –- Jack Goldsmith, Harvard Law School professor who served as assistant attorney general in the Bush administration.

at least she's not 78 or whatever,I'm glad she's relatively young.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    at least she's not 78 or whatever,I'm glad she's relatively young.
    Agreed.

Nominating someone that has no judicial experience to join the highest court in the land? Pretty risky move on Obama's part. Should be interesting to see what skeletons come out of her closet.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Nominating someone that has no judicial experience to join the highest court in the land?
    Her credentials are exceptional. Guess it depends on whether or not you think no judicial experience is a bigger deal then the wealth of knowledge she will bring to the role.

Ideally it would be great for her to have both, but I'd rather she be competent to do her job if I had to pick one. She clearly is competent.

Pretty risky move on Obama's part.
    What makes it risky? Obama is in a great position due to the amount of Dems in Congress to get her confirmed. Not to mention a history of praise from both sides.

I'm not saying she's a bad choice, but the Obama admin doesn't have a very good track record when it comes vetting people, so to pick someone that doesn't have judicial experience can be risky because he could catch some flack for it. I didn't mean risky in the sense that she may not make it through. I believe that Rhenquist didn't have any judicial experience either before he joined the SCOTUS and he was highly respected, so hopefully the same will happen with Kagan, should she make it through.

The only thing I know about her is that she's a Mets fan, so that makes her A-OK in my book.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Quote Originally Posted by jbrazen View Post

the only thing i know about her is that she's a mets fan, so that makes her a-ok in my book. :d
    :d

She's HORRIBLE!!!

She is exactly the last thing this country needs as she is nothing more than a unitary executive theory rubber stamp of approval.

Even the liberals, the real liberals (the ones with principles and not the corporate lackeys currently up on the Hill) have lined up the best case against her nomination.

You can educate yourself here:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/gl...10/04/13/kagan

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    I'm not saying she's a bad choice, but the Obama admin doesn't have a very good track record when it comes vetting people, so to pick someone that doesn't have judicial experience can be risky because he could catch some flack for it. I didn't mean risky in the sense that she may not make it through. I believe that Rhenquist didn't have any judicial experience either before he joined the SCOTUS and he was highly respected, so hopefully the same will happen with Kagan, should she make it through.

The only thing I know about her is that she's a Mets fan, so that makes her A-OK in my book.

What???????? The last thing any GOP member should wish for is her approval. Forget about tea parties and communist healthcare...this is one that matters. We cannot allow Presidents to continue to amass power.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    She's HORRIBLE!!!

She is exactly the last thing this country needs as she is nothing more than a unitary executive theory rubber stamp of approval.

Even the liberals, the real liberals (the ones with principles and not the corporate lackeys currently up on the Hill) have lined up the best case against her nomination.

You can educate yourself here:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/gl...10/04/13/kagan

Thank you for the link.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thank you for the link.

also, here:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/gl...gan/index.html

Certified SG Addict
    From the second article UOD linked:

In other words, according to Chemerinksy and Yglesias, progressives will view Obama's choice as a good one by virtue of the fact that it's Obama choice. Isn't that a pure embodiment of mindless tribalism and authoritarianism?
    The accumulation of yes-men and power and distaste for liberty has carried over from Bush 43 (who grabbed more power for the executive than any president since Wilson), and still Obama supporters deny he's just as bad. Indefinite detention; Gitmo not closed; more troops to Afghanistan; health care...just because THEIR guy is in there, all is forgiven and forgotten.

Everyone should read Gene Healy's book The Cult of the Presidency. It's both maddening and enlightening as to the nature of the executive today versus the nation's first 100 years and provides the reasons why one man wields so much (supposed) power.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    From the second article UOD linked:

The accumulation of yes-men and power and distaste for liberty has carried over from Bush 43 (who grabbed more power for the executive than any president since Wilson), and still Obama supporters deny he's just as bad. Indefinite detention; Gitmo not closed; more troops to Afghanistan; health care...just because THEIR guy is in there, all is forgiven and forgotten.

Everyone should read Gene Healy's book The Cult of the Presidency. It's both maddening and enlightening as to the nature of the executive today versus the nation's first 100 years and provides the reasons why one man wields so much (supposed) power.
    Single biggest complaint I have with Obama. After decrying Bush for several things he is repeating some of those same steps.

Maybe it's an "on the job training" kinda job. This beast of a woman is a clone of oBama, I like how the press says she'll bring everything to the right, what a joke, I ain't buying that crap.
    oBama is a joke too, it's like he has no experience........ wait, that's right, he doesn't !!!!
    I Hope He Fails

Thought some people might get a laugh from this.

http://totallylookslike.com/2010/05/...-tim/#comments

The more I read about her, the less I'd like her to serve as a Justice. Anyone that wants to kick military recruiters off of a college campus, especially one that receive Federal funding, doesn't deserve to play such a vital role in our Justice system.