Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did YOU come to Speedguide?

Why did YOU come to Speedguide?

In keeping with recent discussion, why did you come to SG?

I came here originally about 10 years ago. My broadband provider then was Media General Cable Roadrunner (bought out by COX). Bandwidth was a whopping 1.5 Mb down and 256 Kb up. Windows 98 & Windows 2000 needed tweaking, home routers were not that common and ISP bandwidth was not what was expected.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    There's no simple answer for me. I'd have to remember how I got here to remember why.
    Last edited by Sarahnn; 05-04-10 at 10:39 AM.

Came here in 07, I was getting a third of what my service was rated for and I was using XP. Tweaking brought me up to 95% of what I was rated for.

I had just gotten high speed internet and was looking to get the best speeds possible.

I had just gotten roadrunner from timewarner cable and the installer pointed me here. Said he couldn't install the tweaks, but if I wanted too, it would improve my speeds. It did! Kind of stinks that they can throttle everything from the headend now.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post

I came here originally about 10 years ago. My broadband provider then was Media General Cable Roadrunner (bought out by COX). Bandwidth was a whopping 1.5 Mb down and 256 Kb up. Windows 98 & Windows 2000 needed tweaking, home routers were not that common and ISP bandwidth was not what was expected.
    I came here originally for the broadband tweaks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Back when the very first Linksys befsr41 routers were hitting the store shelves, back when cable and DSL were brand new products across the country..they were going through issues with their firmware properly supporting PPPoE connections (for DSL). Firmware version 1.x..and the first iterations of that, did not allow MTU to be changed.

I had a yacht broker client, that got one of the first DSL installs in the city here. Like many smaller businesses...they had been sharing a multiple dial up connection for their network..and were exciting about getting DSL installed. So I went over with a brand new Linksys router, installed it, got their network up on the DSL...and enjoyed the speeds. Surfing was great, e-mail worked, etc. Next day though, they called with a problem. When sending e-mail with an attachment..the e-mail client would give an outbound e-mail error..SMTP server related. Basically couldn't send e-mail out if it had an attachment.

Switched them back to dial up...worked..back on DSL, didn't work. Got on the phone with Linksys support...he was aware of the problem, and he sent me here to Speedguide.Net to download 2x patches for Windows 95...the MTU patch and the vtcp386 patch. Those worked great. I then wandered around the site..and hung out in the tech forums...was brought me in was some of the router questions from gamers trying to host gaming servers from their home, like Quake and Unreal.

Shortly after....Ken bought me a few drinks, had his way with me, introduced me to MadDoc..and I've been held captive in the basement since.

Great times throughout my stay here. I've met a lot of fellow members here in real life...going down to Florida frequently to meet Ken, Philip, Koldchillah, and Roody.

Been to Michigan to meet MountainMan, Stryker, Noevo, BMED, and Bala.

Went to Maine to meet Lefty...
    ...although Lefty met me first at my house when I hosted a couple of SG meets...where I also met Meggie, YoS, MorbidPete, Bouncer, and TinyTim.

And of course I see Daves World almost every day at work..although he doesn't hang around here much.

Almost met Patrick (JCOS)....he was going to crash at my pad overnight on the way through the east coast, but his schedule got backed up.

Forgive me if I've left anyone out....I'm a bit tired this morning.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Shortly after....Ken bought me a few drinks, had his way with me, introduced me to MadDoc..and I've been held captive in the basement since.
    gimp in the box
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Forgive me if I've left anyone out....I'm a bit tired this morning.
    don't forget our night together in Nantucket,,,,,

Blog Entries
    i came here to share what i've got from here

# OS: Windows, Linux # Browser: Blink, Gecko, Presto, Webkit + Squid + Bind

Quote Originally Posted by akbarri View Post
    i came here to share what i've got from here
    Somehow this sounds a little bit strange. I have visions of sheep in my head.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    Somehow this sounds a little bit sensuous . I have visions of sheep in my head.
    fixed

I was playing Unreal online and having connections issue's. Someone in the game recommended I come here and learn how to tweak my connection.

DIDS

I was working for Cox Communications doing cable modem support when I joined. I mainly browsed the broadband forums and occasionally chimed in. I don't recall when I transitioned into a gen forum lurker.

Came here to tweak my 1.5 mbps cable connection back in 2000..ended up learning how to build my own computer from the hardware section on this site.

My first build was an Asus A7V, 1 ghz T'bird, 512 mb ram and a voodoo 3 or a voodoo5 (not sure when I got the voodoo 5)

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Ken had his way with me

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    don't forget our night together in Nantucket,,,,,

No damn clue... all I know is my connections went from 33.6 dialup to 56K dialup, 128ISDN, then old Adelphia cable which sucked balls but was much better than ISDN and now with Comcast who took over Adelphia's job of sucking balls.

Otherwise no idea, but prob looking for a solution to a problem most likely.

SG Enthusiast
    Stumbled upon the site while looking for brunette avatars and CD's profile came up over 100 times with different pics.

I was looking for an underground car video called "Rendezvous", basically a 70's vid of a Ferrari blasting recklessly through Paris at dawn. Through google searches I found someone on here, in the automotive section with a link to it.