Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why did immigrants come to America?

WASP control? Too late, I heard a lot more than english at the local Shop Rite on Saturday.

I usually work on Saturday...forgive my CAPS LOCKS, Je suis Francais, Et, On et toujour francais ici....

do you... have a problem with.... samedi?

He's a friend...I'll call him, tell him to stay off your....back!

I'm in forever

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    I usually work on Saturday...forgive my CAPS LOCKS, Je suis Francais, Et, On et toujour francais ici....
    Ętes-vous la France ?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OSULLY View Post
    WASP control? Too late, I heard a lot more than english at the local Shop Rite on Saturday.
    Spanish for example?

They originally came here for the freedom, now they come for the benefits and of course to commit crimes.
    I Hope He Fails

One more thing. You said that freedom has always been a button in all societies on earth. There are no societies, nor have there been societies like the one we have under our Constitution. The American people rule themselves with intent by their own permission.
    Yes, there's never been a society like our current one. But there have been societies that used sane govts, such as the age of Greece. Even the Roman empire was not too bad.

In all civilizations to date, including our current one, peoples and lands have been conquered and exploited for their resources and cheap or free labor. The conquered have sought freedom from captivity, slavery, economic rape, tyranny, cultural suppression, etc. Wars have begun for different causes, but the end result was always economic dominance.

It doesn't really matter that govts have been different than our current govt here in America. In an impoverished backward nation, when conquered by tyrannists and evil, the people there will seek freedom "from", knowing that the previous suppressed life condition was better than the current suppressed life condition.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Yes, there's never been a society like our current one. But there have been societies that used sane govts, such as the age of Greece. Even the Roman empire was not too bad.

In all civilizations to date, including our current one, peoples and lands have been conquered and exploited for their resources and cheap or free labor. The conquered have sought freedom from captivity, slavery, economic rape, tyranny, cultural suppression, etc. Wars have begun for different causes, but the end result was always economic dominance.

It doesn't really matter that govts have been different than our current govt here in America. In an impoverished backward nation, when conquered by tyrannists and evil, the people there will seek freedom "from", knowing that the previous suppressed life condition was better than the current suppressed life condition.
    I agree. You've made some good points and I never meant to give the impression that I believed that immigration was the sole result of persecution and tyranny. (I could have also mentioned oppression.) I have a little bit of an education myself. I let myself get sidetracked.

What I was saying, regarding illegal immigration on our southern borders was that illegal aliens were not fleeing from persecution and tyranny (if you can look past a corrupt government), therefore, while they are welcome legally, I can't muster up much sympathy for their plight that excuses the violation of our borders because of the drug trafficking and various other crimes. But, (back to this thread) I think the long and short of it is that of course immigrants came here for economic reasons but most of them came with a dream.
    Last edited by Sarahnn; 05-03-10 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo fix

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Add to this, not only were they running from tyranny and evil, but simply running from other reasons. How many people here have an Irish background in their family tree? //raises hand.
    The Irish were absolutely hated when they were arriving here in waves roughly starting in the early 1800's..and with the waves on incoming rising heavily in the mid 1800's and into the late part of that century. Within a couple of decades during the peak of their immigration, roughly 1/4 of the population came here. They came here running from extreme poverty and starvation. They settled in cities...basically the ports they arrived in, because they didn't have the money and resources to travel to other areas of the US. Gee...similar to other nationalities as they immigrate. They were so frowned upon, they were barely allowed only the lowliest of labor jobs...such as coal mining, and canal building, mills.

One can study other trends in waves of immigration from other countries....Germany, Portugal, Italy. These people were frowned up, looked down up, treated as low lifes...by the existings WASPs here.

The history of the US as far as bloodlines is often forgotten. The early colonists were resistant to other nationalities arriving here. Yet...those first colonists themselves were really illegal aliens...to the natives here. They forced the natives into their religion, forced them into their schools, etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

What I was saying, regarding illegal immigration on our southern borders was that illegal aliens were not fleeing from persecution and tyranny (if you can look past a corrupt government), therefore, while they are welcome legally, I can't muster up much sympathy for their plight that excuses the violation of our borders because of the drug trafficking and various other crimes. But, (back to this thread) I think the long and short of it is that of course immigrants came here for economic reasons but most of them came with a dream.
    Agreed!
    The illegals come here with a dream as well. Some dream of opportunity and a better life, some dream of handouts, some dream of easy tax free monies, some dream of education, some dream of fame and fortune and some dream of nothing but fruit and vegetables. Freud would have a field day. (sick double pun)

I am Italian. When the Italians came here in the 19th century and at the turn of the 20th century they were referred to as Spics. (no spicca english) At some point, the Latinos inherited that derogatory name and Italians became Wops and Guinies, probably after the Italians had a solid stronghold here.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Why did Sarah come to Speedguide? A place for technology enthusiasts.

····

····

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    There are lots of folks who come here for the General Forum alone, with an occasional tech question thrown in.

SG Enthusiast
    Agreed!
    The illegals come here with a dream as well. Some dream of opportunity and a better life, some dream of handouts, some dream of easy tax free monies, some dream of education, some dream of fame and fortune and some dream of nothing but fruit and vegetables. Freud would have a field day. (sick double pun)

I am Italian. When the Italians came here in the 19th century and at the turn of the 20th century they were referred to as Spics. (no spicca english) At some point, the Latinos inherited that derogatory name and Italians became Wops and Guinies, probably after the Italians had a solid stronghold here.
    Both sides of my family immigrated here less than two and three generations ago. They were WASPs, and Hunkies. One had to marry another and I was born in under eight months. I was raised with the prejudices that the Welsh had against the Irish, and the Ukranians had against the Russians. I talked to and was raised by some very proud people. I am proud of both sides of my extended family including the Jewish blood that is in me.

Now, having said that about myself in response to your comment, we need to protect our southern borders. Mexico protects its borders. Canada protects its borders.

We gave special dispensation to Cuban refugees because they were fleeing from a dictatorship and asked nothing of them but to get here safely. We are not a callous Nation. But we have rules that we as citizens have to obey everyday without running and hiding. I want everyone who enters this country to abide by the same laws I do.

I say that with compassion to each individual who is seeking a way to take advantage of America without citizenship. Do not sneak under our noses with impugnity and expect us to feel sorry for you. If you sneak in, we don't know who you are or what you're up to and there will be opposition to America losing sovereignty over her own borders.

I feel strongly about this and if I came across an illegal alien who asked for help, I would do what I could to establish them legally abiding by the laws of our Country.

I know I'm long-winded this time, thanks for listening though.

SG Enthusiast
    nm, another time.
    Last edited by Sarahnn; 05-03-10 at 10:19 PM. Reason: off topic

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Are you calling me an immigrant?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Haggis View Post
    War, Famine, Locusts?, take your pick. The one that boggles my mind is all the native abbo's from N/A emmigrating to Great Britain? Sure India was a colony of the King, but Marco Polo took the wrong turn, to namate Indians, like Cleveland...hehe
    Thanks for your input, good to see you.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    They originally came here for the freedom, now they come for the benefits and of course to commit crimes.
    U are now officially ignored.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    From 1620 to date....

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I remember reading an article about an man from India who came over with very little and within 3 years was a millionaire. He was quoted as saying, "If you cannot succeed financially in the United States then you are just lazy" While it sounds a bit simplistic and harsh, there is definitely some truth in the statement.
    Personal effort has value, but it in itself is no guaranty. For every "thumbs under the lapels, Acre of Diamonds" success tale, there are dozens of broken people for whom their wits and sweat were for naught.

yet.... we must try.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by terrancelam View Post
    U are now officially ignored.
    Huh ? What ? Didn't hear you, I'm too busy reading the Constitution, remember that thing that those guys wrote ?
    I Hope He Fails