Thread: sharing internet with a wifi lan

sharing internet with a wifi lan

hi all
    here is the point:
    i have PC1 connected to the internet via an ethernet cable.
    The internet connection is shared to the workgroup. (8Mbps)

Besides, i have PC2, PC3, PC4 (and PC1) connected to each other via wifi usb dongles linked via a D-Link wifi router.

When i download from PC1 i have a good 840 kbps.
    Problem is that the other PC's of the workgroup have a weak download (best is around 200 kbps, but mostly it's kind of 40 to 80 kbps)

Can i have your opinion on that and maybe some clues to make things get better!
    thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is PC1 connected to the same DLink router via ethernet? Or a direct connection to the modem?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well PC1 is connected to the D-link only as part af the wifi workgroup via an usb wifi dongle.
    PC1 is also connected to the internet via An ethernet cnet router and shares the connexion to the rest of the workgroup.

So PC 1 connected to a CNET router via ethernet...
    And then PC1 also has a USB wireless NIC....in which it connects to the wireless part of a DLink router...when then spreads the wireless to other clients?

Why taking that complicated approach? Why not toss the CNET router and use the DLink as your primary router, ethernet to PC1, and wireless to other wireless clients?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

well here is why. The Cnet router is furnished by my ISP. Then i opened my agency in the same bulding but two storeys lower. I first isntalled the wifi lan (by my own) in the agency... Then the idea of exploiting my internet connection appeard possible to me, so i made the configuration described in my former post!
    Complicated... surely, but very cheap!!!

Is the DLink router connected to the CNet router using a LAN port on each of them? As in..not using the WAN/Internet port on the DLink router?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

well the Dlink is used much more like a hub for my wifi lan. It's a bit old and i don't really want to modify what is actually working (working with as i said a loss of brodband when i connect to internet via my wifi-PC1-ethernet config.

To make it short, i was wondering what kind of tweaking i might do to increase the download from PC2,3 and 4

IMO you're not going to get that optimized much...you're being subject to double NAT'ing...with Windows ICS in the mix. Yuck!

If you don't want to replace the CNET with the DLink....I would go with the next approach.

Say the CNET routers LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
    Next..logging into that new IP address, disable DHCP on the DLink router
    Now...uplink the DLink to the CNET router using an ethernet cable, and you will uplink by using a LAN port of each. You will not use the WAN/Internet port of the Dlink. Depending on the age of the DLink and/or CNET router...if they're older models and if neither has a special "uplink" port...you may need a crossover cable.

Now, the DLink is being used solely as an access point, not a router. And you have no horrendous loss of speed due to Windows ICS. You can remove the wireless USB NIC on PC1. And your speeds will greatly improve.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thank you for your advices... But i forgot to indicate something important.
    Somme weeks ago with exactly the config i described, things worked quite ok. at that period i had a 4Mbps connexion and with my wifi "reseau" i obtained easily 400 kbps. which was exactly what i obtained with PC1 (the one using ethernet connexion).

Afterwards, i upgraded to 8Mbps (845kbps on PC1) but the rest of my pc's stuck at max 200kbps, or even worst 50-80 kbps.

So my conclusion is that i must have done something wrong somewhere, or changed parameters (without knowing) so before i go to your complex method, i'd prefer to find out what happened to retrieve my former situation.

PS: you may have noticed that english is not my familiar language so forgive me for the poor vocabulary and style!
    thanks

Nobody can help?
    well i will ask differently. can somebody tell me what kind of "manipulation" may produce what i described upper!
    thanks

I have been following this thread with interest. hocine asked a good question and was lucky to get a very good solution from an expert. The solution is not complex, in my not so humble opinion, rather the procedure used by hocine is very complex - and is causing trouble.
    Try the recommended solution and see if it helps. Bet it does!! It would be interesting to see your response after trying the recommendation.

Okay guys, i'll try the procedure. But i'm a bit ashamed to say that i didn't understand it well. some words that i didn't understand...

I'll try to post a more detailed..yet simple...step by step guide..if you can give me until the weekend. Working on a big wide area network project, that's keeping me a bit busy...and now that it's summer, when I get home from work..it's beach time!

The way you actually have it setup....it was easy to setup, but it's actually a more complicated and problematic network design. The way I suggest you set it up, takes about 5 minutes to make changes...and the result is actually a more simplistic network that will perform much better.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thank you very much for giving me some of your time.
    in fact it's the "uplink" stuff that i didn't understand. Besides please remember that my cnet router and my d-link access point are located in two different appartments separated by two floors.

I'll wait for more explanation.
    Thank you again and enjoy the beach!!!
    Last edited by hocine; 05-08-10 at 08:18 AM.