Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 240

Thread: Wish all States Were Like Arizona

  1. #61
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    I don't want to be a part of your discussion. I'd rather stay on issue.

    What difference does it make? This isn't about me. Can't you move on?


    I redacted the statment, qualified what I meant and explained myself twice now. Are you that simple? F*k off man.
    MY discussion? How on earth does this shift from being a discussion about immigration and illegal aliens to MY discussion? You still haven't answered my question as to how I'm off topic.

    As far as simple goes, you're just describing your own tactic here. Make statements then ridicule or insult anyone who disagrees with you.

    Your true colors are showing and they're nasty.

    No wonder you've had people threaten you on other sites.

  2. #62
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Study yours, it was overwhelmingly economics that motivated people.
    The poster said that "very very few people came to America to escape persecution and tyranny." I think economics is interwoven in all immigrants dreams.

  3. #63
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    The poster said that "very very few people came to America to escape persecution and tyranny." I think economics is interwoven in all immigrants dreams.
    I agree.

    But it wasn't just interwoven, it was a very key factor. The concept of even owning land was beyond the grasp of many immigrants, or of being paid a wage beyond that of one's debt.

  4. #64
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    MY discussion? How on earth does this shift from being a discussion about immigration and illegal aliens to MY discussion? You still haven't answered my question as to how I'm off topic.

    As far as simple goes, you're just describing your own tactic here. Make statements then ridicule or insult anyone who disagrees with you.

    Your true colors are showing and they're nasty.
    I give what I get.

    No wonder you've had people threaten you on other sites.
    People who try to shelter themselves from opposing views feel threatened by those who are willing to speak up and get offensive. I expect that.

  5. #65
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I agree.

    But it wasn't just interwoven, it was a very key factor. The concept of even owning land was beyond the grasp of many immigrants, or of being paid a wage beyond that of one's debt.
    Agreed, in many cases, I am willing to say that it was a key factor.

  6. #66
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    People who try to shelter themselves from opposing views feel threatened by those who are willing to speak up and get offensive.

    For kicks, look at what you just posted and see how accurately it describes your posts here.

  7. #67
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    For kicks, look at what you just posted and see how accurately it describes your posts here.
    I was fine with the opposition. I always am. I don't think anyone here is blind, or a moron, or obtuse or any of the other things I've been called here.

    Although I realize that America has been called the land of opportunity, I was raised among immigrants and their friends and relatives who escaped their countries with their lives and left family and friends to be killed by forced famine and mass killings. They loved the economics here and worked hard, but I have been taught a different set of values.

    Further, when we compare the Cubans and South Vietnamese to the Latinos, we see that the Mexicans have more opportunities to thrive at home than these others.

    I'm whipped. Going to bed now. Thanks for your input.

  8. #68
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    You're cheering your own slavery, my friend.

    Once states adopt similar measures, it will extend to all citizens. All will be forced to show their IDs at any time upon request by someone in "authority."

    You may find that unobtrusive since you're not illegal and not "doing anything wrong", but to me it is an affront to personal liberty.
    uhhhh...they already DO ask for ID when you come in contact with authority figures...maybe it's just me and some of the people I've associated with and that I call friends. Last month, I was taking a late night walk with a friend so he could blow off steam, when I stopped to tie my shoe a cop rolled up on us and started asking both of us for ID. Granted it was 2 in the morning, but I had left my wallet at home. He ran both of our names and gave us a warning not to go out so late at night when we were just a block away from my place and told us to head back indoors. If I lived in Arizona and this happened a year from now, I'd be on a slow bus to the southern most regions or mexico or beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  9. #69
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    uhhhh...they already DO ask for ID when you come in contact with authority figures...maybe it's just me and some of the people I've associated with and that I call friends. Last month, I was taking a late night walk with a friend so he could blow off steam, when I stopped to tie my shoe a cop rolled up on us and started asking both of us for ID. Granted it was 2 in the morning, but I had left my wallet at home. He ran both of our names and gave us a warning not to go out so late at night when we were just a block away from my place and told us to head back indoors. If I lived in Arizona and this happened a year from now, I'd be on a slow bus to the southern most regions or mexico or beyond
    That has happened to me and my hubby too. Some cops are pigs.

  10. #70
    Insomniac Mutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario
    Posts
    2,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    That has happened to me and my hubby too. Some cops are pigs.
    Wow youre dumb. So two guys walking around at night get questioned by a cop. Yet say those same two people, who arent white go and murder someone you'd be crying that they are illegal and should be shipped off..

    Im the whitest guy on the planet and I've probably been questioned at least 30 times walking around.

    My impression of you is holding a beer, and a shotgun, swinging on your front porch lookin for naggers and mexis.

    By the way, that was a nice 4 pages of backpeddling.

  11. #71
    Dr Tweak mnosteele52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    11,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    That has happened to me and my hubby too. Some cops are pigs.
    Think before you post, you just called some cops pigs because they question someone who is out walking at 2AM..... really? I would hope that a cop questions me if he finds me walking around my neighborhood at 2 in the morning.

  12. #72
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,341
    Common American history texts are riddled with false data and propoganda. Even college history texts omit a lot of truth. Economic opportunity is what sparked the massive immigration to the US in the 1800's and early 1900's.

    The idea of America becoming populated by people seeking freedom from tyranny and oppression has been the primary concept of history texts so as to further US political goals by making is appear that everywhere else in the world people are oppressed. While this concept has some truth, the vast majority of people who came to the US did not come here seeking freedom from tyranny. Even those who came here in the 1700's later had to revolt because those same tyrannies existed here in the new land.

    This thread is littered with generalities such as "they do this" and "they do that". I highly doubt anyone here actually has really known (became friends) more than a handful of Latino immigrants, legal or illegal.

    Example: If one were to say, "They come here seeking handouts" would be a generality. Sure, there may have been some who have come here seeking handouts from our govt, but the majority have not done that.

    The majority of immigrants, legal and illegal, are honest, trustworthy people who seek a better life here because the plain simple fact is that there is more opportunity here than in their homelands. And frankly, many of these south of the border countries are economically stricken because of US foreign policies and exploitation by US corporations over the last 100 years.

    The US is partly responsible for having created this immigration issue. And who exactly IS the US? Why its thee and me of course!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  13. #73
    TypicalWhitePerson JC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Single Wide
    Posts
    4,560
    More great news about the wonderful peaceful loving illegals.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/30...y-shot-desert/
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

    MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

  14. #74
    Freedom Fighter jeremyboycool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    me working in construction, i have seen them on job sites and they do not work safe, had one drop a hammer on a co-workers back once as co-worker was bent over.

    plus some of them do not respect others work, like they hack my plumbing up sometimes.

    leaving piss jugs on job sites, stealing tools, can't communicate in English ect.

    need i go on ?

    of course that can happen to anyone, but just kinda irritates me i guess.

    "i have seen them on job sites"


    How did you know they were here illegally?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

  15. #75
    Moderator Roody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post

    How did you know they were here illegally?
    I was wondering that myself.

  16. #76
    resident Humboldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    27,871
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    More great news about the wonderful peaceful loving illegals.

    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/30...y-shot-desert/
    No one has stated them as such or denied that there aren't problems that need to be addressed.

    Fox News...now there's a joke

  17. #77
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
    common american history texts are riddled with false data and propoganda. Even college history texts omit a lot of truth. Economic opportunity is what sparked the massive immigration to the us in the 1800's and early 1900's.

    The idea of america becoming populated by people seeking freedom from tyranny and oppression has been the primary concept of history texts so as to further us political goals by making is appear that everywhere else in the world people are oppressed. While this concept has some truth, the vast majority of people who came to the us did not come here seeking freedom from tyranny. Even those who came here in the 1700's later had to revolt because those same tyrannies existed here in the new land.

    This thread is littered with generalities such as "they do this" and "they do that". I highly doubt anyone here actually has really known (became friends) more than a handful of latino immigrants, legal or illegal.

    Example: If one were to say, "they come here seeking handouts" would be a generality. Sure, there may have been some who have come here seeking handouts from our govt, but the majority have not done that.

    The majority of immigrants, legal and illegal, are honest, trustworthy people who seek a better life here because the plain simple fact is that there is more opportunity here than in their homelands. And frankly, many of these south of the border countries are economically stricken because of us foreign policies and exploitation by us corporations over the last 100 years.

    The us is partly responsible for having created this immigration issue. And who exactly is the us? Why its thee and me of course!

    qft.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  18. #78
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Think before you post, you just called some cops pigs because they question someone who is out walking at 2AM..... really? I would hope that a cop questions me if he finds me walking around my neighborhood at 2 in the morning.
    I'm not against a cop questioning anyone. That comes with the job. I'm surprised that anyone would think that was my complaint.

    What I resent is that after identifying the two men and knowing they checked out, they were told to get inside. Unless, of course, they were being told to obey a curfew that was in place already.

    What happened to me was that I was driving through a small town at around 2 a.m. In order to easily get past some parked cars on a side street, I had to straddle the center line for a moment. There were no cars coming in the opposite direction (the streets were empty) and it was a safety maneuver. A cop pulled us over and asked what we were doing out at that hour. I totally understood and I was glad the cop was doing his job. We had been thinking about moving to that town, which is why we visited it so much.

    But after he ran a check on us, he issued us a warning for crossing the center line to easily clear the parked cars.

    Some cops abuse their authority against citizens and that's why I said that. Albeit in not so diplomatic terms.

  19. #79
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutch View Post
    Wow youre dumb. So two guys walking around at night get questioned by a cop. Yet say those same two people, who arent white go and murder someone you'd be crying that they are illegal and should be shipped off..
    I see no problem with getting questioned by a cop. That's their job. Please don't call me dumb until you fully understand my point. Just ask and I'll be happy to explain. Okay, Mutch?

    Im the whitest guy on the planet and I've probably been questioned at least 30 times walking around.[
    What does race have to do with anything?

    My impression of you is holding a beer, and a shotgun, swinging on your front porch lookin for naggers and mexis.
    I can't change your impression of me. I am quite the opposite of what you imagine me as. However I see you as very judgemental and unable to give a person a chance to defend their position before you are ready to burn someone at the stake. I'd rather be me.

    By the way, that was a nice 4 pages of backpeddling.
    Sometimes when you say something that is misleading and gives the wrong impression a little back peddling is in order. I'm sure everyone here has done that. I wanted to be clear that I was referring to the illegals for whom Arizona passed the tougher bill.

  20. #80
    Freedom Fighter jeremyboycool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    I see no problem with getting questioned by a cop. That's their job. Please don't call me dumb until you fully understand my point. Just ask and I'll be happy to explain. Okay, Mutch?

    What does race have to do with anything?

    I can't change your impression of me. I am quite the opposite of what you imagine me as. However I see you as very judgemental and unable to give a person a chance to defend their position before you are ready to burn someone at the stake. I'd rather be me.

    Sometimes when you say something that is misleading and gives the wrong impression a little back peddling is in order. I'm sure everyone here has done that. I wanted to be clear that I was referring to the illegals for whom Arizona passed the tougher bill.

    "Sometimes when you say something that is misleading and gives the wrong impression a little back peddling is in order."


    What you said was just awful, not "misleading".

    I don't think you are racist, Sarahnn, but I think you like to stir things up and that is why you say things like that. My guess, is that you do it for attention, shock value and because you like to argue. Whether it is conscious or subconscious I don't know but you flip-flop on topics so readily that it is clear you have no interest in a fruitful discussion.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Similar Threads

  1. Ten most troubled states in the U.S.
    By Roody in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-12-09, 08:47 PM
  2. new gun law in montana
    By Gixxer in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-09, 04:12 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-15-09, 07:53 AM
  4. Scores rise since 'No Child Left Behind' signed
    By Roody in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-06-07, 02:50 PM
  5. Most Popular Sports to Watch in the United States are:
    By minir in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-15-07, 12:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •