Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toys Banned in some Fast Food Restaurants in Cali

Toys Banned in some Fast Food Restaurants in Cali

Toys banned in some California fast food restaurants
    By Sara Bonisteel, Special to CNN
    April 28, 2010 4:28 p.m. EDT

About a dozen fast food restaurants in unincorporated areas of Silicon Valley are affected by the ordinance.

(CNN) -- A California county on Tuesday became the first in the nation to ban toys from fast food kids' meals high in calories, fat, salt and sugar.
    Santa Clara County supervisors voted 3-2 to ban the plastic goodies as promotions in meals with more than 485 calories.
    County supervisor Ken Yeager said Tuesday that the ordinance "prevents restaurants from preying on children's love of toys to peddle high-calorie, high-fat, high-sodium kids' meals," and would help fight childhood obesity.
    Rest

What is this country coming to

wow what a dumb idea...

Been an ongoing conversation on another forum board I frequent. Been pretty divisive also in the input.

remember when parents had to be parents and actually tell and restrict what kids can eat see and do? Or even us as adults had to make our own decisions on what to eat see or do. With the U.S. controlling every aspect of our lives more and more, no wonder no one can fend for them selves anymore

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    With the U.S. controlling every aspect of our lives more and more, no wonder no one can fend for them selves anymore
    If that's what kids are being fed it seems the parents are too stupid to feed their own children.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    If that's what kids are being fed it seems the parents are too stupid to feed their own children.
    I agree, Im sure the fact that there is not enough time in the day to make a meal at home any more and both parents working. But there are other options. How much do we have to control until we start blaming parents?

I agree, Im sure the fact that there is not enough time in the day to make a meal at home any more and both parents working. But there are other options. How much do we have to control until we start blaming parents?
    I'm not saying I support the control over the food industry at all and I feel the parents are 100% responsible for what their children eat.

But the way the super-crappy and unhealthy food is marketed for kids has a huge impact on the fact we have the fattest kids in the world. Hell, I saw something about 20 or 30% of late teens being too obese to be accepted into the armed forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I'm not saying I support the control over the food industry at all and I feel the parents are 100% responsible for what their children eat.

But the way the super-crappy and unhealthy food is marketed for kids has a huge impact on the fact we have the fattest kids in the world. Hell, I saw something about 20 or 30% of late teens being too obese to be accepted into the armed forces.

yea its pretty high, But if they dont have the motivation or self control to take care of them selves then not sure i want to fight with them. guess there is always 2 sides to a coin

yea its pretty high, But if they dont have the motivation or self control to take care of them selves then not sure i want to fight with them. guess there is always 2 sides to a coin
    That's my point though. I agree it's a good thing obese people aren't allowed into a physically demanding job that others' lives depend on, but the fact so many young people are that heavy, especially in grade school, is disturbing.

Nutty like squirrel terds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SlyOneDoofy View Post
    my birth year?

my birth year?
    Do you need someone to tell you what to eat? I mean really....

remember when parents had to be parents and actually tell and restrict what kids can eat see and do? Or even us as adults had to make our own decisions on what to eat see or do. With the U.S. controlling every aspect of our lives more and more, no wonder no one can fend for them selves anymore
    Seems to me people started making stupid choices which demonstrated an inability to fend for themselves before the government got overly involved. In fact the government probably felt they had to get involved because of the moronic state of the people.

But I understand your point, by over protecting and removing responsibility they run a dangerous risk of creating a cycle of dependence.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by *cho* View Post
    Seems to me people started making stupid choices which demonstrated an inability to fend for themselves before the government got overly involved. In fact the government probably felt they had to get involved because of the moronic state of the people.

But I understand your point, by over protecting and removing responsibility they run a dangerous risk of creating a cycle of dependence.
    Honestly I think this is about the stupidest thing in the world

Lets expand this...go to the ballpark and eat your tofu dog and drink a veggie mix while you watch the game....enjoy.

Oh wait...you swiped your citizen card and it seems you have gone over your daily allowance of food.....

Please do not confuse the role of society with the role of government. If you do... you have no rights.
    Last edited by SlyOneDoofy; 04-29-10 at 02:42 AM.

I do not need anyone to tell me what to eat. I care what i look like. So I dont eat garbage all day every day. I dont eat when im bored. I dont mow down on burgers and fries for lunch at work. Long story short dude. It's pathetic that people cant take care of them selves and others they are responsible for and the government has to step in to take care of us. Like cho said. The more choice that is taken away the more we become reliant.

And i still dont understand what my age has to do anything

SG Enthusiast
    A toy in the meal has fewer calories than the food. Seriously though...."calories in, energy out".

Happy meals would be perfectly acceptable if we made the kids walk home after they ate it.

Blog Entries
    While self control, parental guidance, civil liberties and small government are great principles...

Kids get bombarded with ads on TV, in stores, and everywhere they turn. There are childrens books promoting large corporations and their products (Disney ?). There is peer pressure at schools, most foods/juices/cereals are oversweetened to appeal to children, not to mention the playgrounds at fast food places, toys and other marketing gimmicks.

With billions of dollars poured into marketing/advertising targeted at 5 year olds, there seems to be an unfair advantage that has negative influence on kids' general health. When they're raised submerged in this type of society while they're at such fragile age, their entire life is bound to be influenced by it.

And i still dont understand what my age has to do anything

maybe not your bday,but a reference to this movie ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninetee...our_%28film%29

"Plot summary;
    Winston Smith endures a squalid existence in the totalitarian superstate of Oceania under the constant surveillance of the Thought Police."

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    While self control, parental guidance, civil liberties and small government are great principles...

Kids get bombarded with ads on TV, in stores, and everywhere they turn. There are childrens books promoting large corporations and their products (Disney ?). There is peer pressure at schools, most foods/juices/cereals are oversweetened to appeal to children, not to mention the playgrounds at fast food places, toys and other marketing gimmicks.

With billions of dollars poured into marketing/advertising targeted at 5 year olds, there seems to be an unfair advantage that has negative influence on kids' general health. When they're raised submerged in this type of society while they're at such fragile age, their entire life is bound to be influenced by it.
    Adults also, Philip. Advertising is scientifically geared to manipulate the public. There is little resistance against such sophisticated techniques, except cultural isolation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    Adults also, Philip. Advertising is scientifically geared to manipulate the public. There is little resistance against such sophisticated techniques, except cultural isolation.
    I agree, it's just that adults theoretically have more self-control and are considered responsible for their own actions.