Thread: Weird issue with my OS

Weird issue with my OS

I'm running XP Pro and have a problem when my PC starts. It will get through the normal boot process and get to my desktop and freeze. The only way I've found to get by it is boot into safe mode, and run a system restore. The system restore will fail but it will then boot and not freeze. Something is screwed up in my start up and I'm wondering if I should boot from the system disk and try to do a repair. I don't what to loose my existing proggies and setings though. I'm running dual boot with Windows 7 64 bit and just haven't had the time to get everything loaded on the W7 OS and still depend on the XP OS to get my work done.

I did have an issue a while back with some malware and I think that may have hosed something up. I know a format and re-install would be best, but don't have the time right now.

What's everyone's thoughts on the repair option?

One thing I noticed- My system will sometimes lock-up after running too. When it does, it's a windows explorer shut down issue. Any help?
    Last edited by westy; 04-23-10 at 09:04 AM.
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

sounds like its infected by something... scan with malwarebytes and superantispyware while in safemode to see what it picks up. Also maybe even set it to chkdsk on the next reboot.

How do you set it to run chkdsk on reboot?

As for the viruses and stuff, I've ran NOD32 scans, superantispyware scans, spybot S & D scans, and malwarebytes scans and done all the cleaning. I can't seem to fing the bug though. All these scans have be done running in the normal OS though. Would running them in safe mode help?

Thanks!

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    How do you set it to run chkdsk on reboot?

As for the viruses and stuff, I've ran NOD32 scans, superantispyware scans, spybot S & D scans, and malwarebytes scans and done all the cleaning. I can't seem to fing the bug though. All these scans have be done running in the normal OS though. Would running them in safe mode help?

Thanks!
    Right click on the Drive and select properties then Tools, then check disk..it should prompt to do on reboot at that point so check to repair and let it go.

Scanning in safemode is good...if you can't find anything it might be just a windows issue. besides running the check disk from windows you can boot to the disk and do a repair on it chkdsk /r

I've booted from my XP CD and done a repair without losing any of the functionality of my installed programs. I've done it a couple of times actually. The only thing you have to do afterward is hit windows update and redo all the updates and patches.

EDIT: I'm not sure how that will affect your dual boot though, it might remove the windows 7 boot loader. It shouldn't be a big deal to put it back though if it does.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

The Windows 7 boot is on a seperate drive, so it shouldn't hurt that I'd think. I did run chkdsk /r and it didn't find any errors.

I'll try doing a scan next time I'm in safe mode with everything. If that fails I'll boot from the CD and try to do the repair.

I'm baffled.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I've booted from my XP CD and done a repair without losing any of the functionality of my installed programs. I've done it a couple of times actually. The only thing you have to do afterward is hit windows update and redo all the updates and patches.

EDIT: I'm not sure how that will affect your dual boot though, it might remove the windows 7 boot loader. It shouldn't be a big deal to put it back though if it does.
    Well when I suggest him to do a repair I mean a simple "R" into command prompt then run chkdsk /r vs a full repair forcing you to put the CD key back in and run updates again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Well when I suggest him to do a repair I mean a simple "R" into command prompt then run chkdsk /r vs a full repair forcing you to put the CD key back in and run updates again.
    a simple "R" into command prompt then run chkdsk /r

FYI- That's what I did, no luck. Disk came back O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    It can't hurt to boot into the recovery console first and do checks. I often install it as a boot option in XP but to be honest I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. A lack of knowledge on what I can do in their being the main reason. I have had good luck skipping the first repair option (recovery console) and going on to do a windows repair. I find it easier and it usually fixes what ever I broke screwing around with in the first place.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

a simple "R" into command prompt then run chkdsk /r

FYI- That's what I did, no luck. Disk came back O.K.
    How many operating systems do you have on that hard drive?

Just the one (XP Pro). W7 is on my other hard drive.

Just the one (XP Pro). W7 is on my other hard drive.
    Check the drive..it may be failing

ya can get a drive testing program from here if ya like

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287