Thread: AT&T to alter employee health plans due to Obamacare

Thumbs down AT&T to alter employee health plans due to Obamacare

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- AT&T Inc., the U.S.s largest telephone company, said it will take a $1 billion first-quarter charge related to the health-care law signed this week by President Barack Obama.

The non-cash charge has been triggered by a change in the tax treatment of Medicare subsidies, the Dallas, Texas-based company said today in a regulatory filing.

AT&T joins Caterpillar Inc. and AK Steel Holding Corp. in taking non-cash charges against earnings as a result of the law. Health-care charges may shave as much as $14 billion from U.S. corporate profits, according to an estimate by benefits consulting firm Towers Watson.

As a result of this legislation, including the additional tax burden, AT&T will be evaluating prospective changes to the active and retiree health-care benefits offered by the company, the company said in the filing.
    So, only a few days later, some people might already lose at least some of their coverage due solely to the passage of the health care law. Only good thing about this is the possible end of the iPhone.

Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

People just don't get it.... the one major provision in this bill was that employers can now take a cheaper MUCH CHEAPER penalty per employee to not offer health care packages which most help pay for now. I believe it was a article on CBSnews the other night saying one guy could save over $800,000 a year by taking the penalty than to continue to pay the health coverage for his employees. Sad thing is most people need a job and can't risk leaving these jobs to find others that may offer this expense at this current stage. The Bill just came at the wrong time with all the wrong things to hurt the working class vs help them.

AT&T is the first of many to come..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    AT&T is the first of many to come..

This string of dominos has only started...with the "A's"
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Did anyone even read the law instead of listening to what the "news" organizations say?

It is rather difficult to read through and understand the whole thing, reads like stereo instructions but here is a good breakdown for those wanting to review everything.

I know I've tried a few times to look over everything but the con's seem to out weight the pro's no matter how I try to convince myself otherwise. I'm all for some type of universal healthcare but it needs to be way different and more adopted by both sides and not just one.

http://lionandlambministry.com/index...-the-breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by RaisinCain View Post
    Did anyone even read the law instead of listening to what the "news" organizations say?
    Where is the fun in that?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

nvm