Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88

Thread: What will the newly passed Healthcare reform mean?

  1. #1
    SG Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    thurakkenville
    Posts
    3,794

    What will the newly passed Healthcare reform mean?

    He calls it health care, but there is nothing caring about what Obama just did to the American people. He confiscated our means to take care of ourselves without government intervention.

    When the government has the power to determine how you will fight illness; and when the government tells you under which conditions they will help you, or fine you, your life is in the governments hands.

    A government that controls it's people's health will have to make life and death decisions whether you think so or not.

    Our Preamble to the Declaration of Independence may say we have the right to Life, but the government will now decide when, where and how through beaurocratic red tape and fines.

    Who are these 32 million people who would want this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,585
    We are almost the ONLY developed nation to not have government (socialized) health care.

    That figure is also directly related to others such as average life expectancy, waiting times, costs, etc... Which we are all on the low end of or the worse.

    ····



    ····

  3. #3
    NYC Newbie Slayer Prey521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Humble, Tx
    Posts
    34,934
    Not worried, this will get shutdown once it reaches the Supreme Court. The government has NO authority to force you to buy something, zero, zilch, nada. You want to live, you MUST have coverage or we WILL fine you. F U!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

    "Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"


  4. #4
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    Believe it or not, some of them do exist. I'm not sure if they've lost their minds, truly want socialism/communism or just what. I'm totally appalled at how this whole thing went down. There is no way in hell that those who voted for this bill read it. I'm still reading it a week later and I'm no where close to the middle YET.

    What will it mean? For me, it's not good news. I'm on a Medicare Advantage Plan and they are going to take severe cuts.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  5. #5
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Not worried, this will get shutdown once it reaches the Supreme Court. The government has NO authority to force you to buy something, zero, zilch, nada. You want to live, you MUST have coverage or we WILL fine you. F U!
    I pray your right, but everything I'm reading indicates there next to 0% chance of this being overturned.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  6. #6
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    IMO the GOP needs to reconcile a couple of things. First, the stance on abortion. Every fetus has the right to life up until birth...after that, screw you...you are on your own. To me, that stands out as somewhat of a contradiction. Secondly, can health care exist amidst a free market economy? There really aren't too many examples of a successful health care system that coexists along side of a free market system. Maybe health care is so unique that it can't. Then again, maybe the US is unique in that it has the right formula for success. Our republic is still in the infant stages imo. Maybe these are just some of the growing pains. I do think that in time we'll get it right.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  7. #7
    NYC Newbie Slayer Prey521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Humble, Tx
    Posts
    34,934
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    I pray your right, but everything I'm reading indicates there next to 0% chance of this being overturned.
    It's not impossible, if it makes it to the SCOTUS, the Lefty Judges are outnumbered by 1, with that 1 being more in the Middle/Right, so it definitely has a legit shot. Also, IF the Republicans can get enough seats and once Obama's ousted in 2012, this law can get thrown in the trash, where it belongs.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

    "Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"


  8. #8
    SG DC Team Member Paft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    5,736
    Quote Originally Posted by blebs View Post
    I pray your right, but everything I'm reading indicates there next to 0% chance of this being overturned.
    Even if it's not, there are states who are actually passing laws that dictate that their citizens are not required to take part in the federal plan. Yeah, I know that technically federal law trumps state law, but with that being said, what good is a law on the books if nobody enforces it?

  9. #9
    NYC Newbie Slayer Prey521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Humble, Tx
    Posts
    34,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Paft View Post
    Even if it's not, there are states who are actually passing laws that dictate that their citizens are not required to take part in the federal plan. Yeah, I know that technically federal law trumps state law, but with that being said, what good is a law on the books if nobody enforces it?
    Healthcare is NOT a right, and they can't FORCE us to carry insurance, it's that simple. Our rights as American's are the free exercise of religion, to speak freely, to bear arms, and to be secure from unwarranted search and seizure.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

    "Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"


  10. #10
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,341
    Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    Then again, maybe the US is unique in that it has the right formula for success. Our republic is still in the infant stages imo. Maybe these are just some of the growing pains. I do think that in time we'll get it right.
    Well, we really don't have a democracy and we are a far cry from having a true republic too. Our current civilization is not enduring growing pains. This civilization is on its way out. History demonstrates this.

    Look at our society and compare it to past great civilizations. Those earlier societies failed to endure for the same reasons ours is failing.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  11. #11
    Dr Tweak mnosteele52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    11,912
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Well, we really don't have a democracy and we are a far cry from having a true republic too. Our current civilization is not enduring growing pains. This civilization is on its way out. History demonstrates this.

    Look at our society and compare it to past great civilizations. Those earlier societies failed to endure for the same reasons ours is failing.

  12. #12
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Well, we really don't have a democracy and we are a far cry from having a true republic too. Our current civilization is not enduring growing pains. This civilization is on its way out. History demonstrates this.

    Look at our society and compare it to past great civilizations. Those earlier societies failed to endure for the same reasons ours is failing.

    Well, thank God I'm on the side with all the firepower and all the required training for survival.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  13. #13
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,032
    The people are hungery, tired, and sick! After suffering with untreated asthma since I aged out of my parents health insurance. I can see any doctor I want as long as I want to rack up thousands and thousands of dollars in medical bills because I have been unable to get a job with full medical benefits. On that same note, I would be paying more in asthma meds then I could be making each month.

    Does anyone have a link to a copy of this bill? I'ved tried Google but all I've found is articles about the evils o the bill. Can I ask all of you that are dead set against universal health care, what about it bothers you? I've known MANY MANY people with carriers such as Kaiser and Blue Cross who have waited months for fairly seriouse medical tests, one of them being a cancer screening, that if not for making an end run around his insurance would have resulted in his death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  14. #14
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,941
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    The people are hungery, tired, and sick! After suffering with untreated asthma since I aged out of my parents health insurance. I can see any doctor I want as long as I want to rack up thousands and thousands of dollars in medical bills because I have been unable to get a job with full medical benefits. On that same note, I would be paying more in asthma meds then I could be making each month.

    Does anyone have a link to a copy of this bill? I'ved tried Google but all I've found is articles about the evils o the bill. Can I ask all of you that are dead set against universal health care, what about it bothers you? I've known MANY MANY people with carriers such as Kaiser and Blue Cross who have waited months for fairly seriouse medical tests, one of them being a cancer screening, that if not for making an end run around his insurance would have resulted in his death.

    This deserves it's own thread to make it relevant.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  15. #15
    Administrator Philip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida, United States
    Posts
    10,575
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Healthcare is NOT a right, and they can't FORCE us to carry insurance, it's that simple. Our rights as American's are the free exercise of religion, to speak freely, to bear arms, and to be secure from unwarranted search and seizure.
    Well, theoretically it is debatable whether it is is a right... There is the right to Life to consider as well as liberties. We consider internet access a right these days, some argue about the right to life of an embryo/fetus as JawZ pointed out already, yet when it comes to the right to life after birth it is a personal responsibility...

    I'm not defending the bill, healthcare cost is way out of proportion as is, just that I can't help but feel a civilized nation should be able to provide some type of basic medical coverage for citizens and regulate how much insurances and lawyers can profit from your health.

  16. #16
    Uninsured for your health
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    10,032
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    Healthcare is NOT a right, and they can't FORCE us to carry insurance, it's that simple. Our rights as American's are the free exercise of religion, to speak freely, to bear arms, and to be secure from unwarranted search and seizure.
    Why can't affordable medical care be a right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

  17. #17
    Dr Tweak mnosteele52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    11,912
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoKid View Post
    Why can't affordable medical care be a right?
    I'll give you a good reason..... I have relatives in Gemany on my wife's side. The last time they were here we were discussing socialism, her cousin told me Germany is in a position now where the government is running out of money because everyone is taking from the system (in healthcare and other "rights") but nobody is putting into the system. People have the attitiude why should I work and pay into the system (taxes) when the government is going to give me everything for free?

    It's the governments job to govern, not provide us with the necissities of life, that is our own responsibilty. I have said before, I agree with Healthcare Reform, it needs to be done, but Obama is not reforming healthcare he is spearheading the government takeover of healthcare. There are so many things the government could do that are within their rights to actually provide affordable heathcare for all, but they don't want that, they want to have more government control. Since Obama has been if office he has inserted, on some level, government control of our financial institutions, our auto making industry and now our healthcare.


  18. #18
    R.I.P. 2013-11-22 blebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    12,819
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    I'll give you a good reason..... I have relatives in Gemany on my wife's side. The last time they were here we were discussing socialism, her cousin told me Germany is in a position now where the government is running out of money because everyone is taking from the system (in healthcare and other "rights") but nobody is putting into the system. People have the attitiude why should I work and pay into the system (taxes) when the government is going to give me everything for free?

    It's the governments job to govern, not provide us with the necissities of life, that is our own responsibilty. I have said before, I agree with Healthcare Reform, it needs to be done, but Obama is not reforming healthcare he is spearheading the government takeover of healthcare. There are so many things the government could do that are within their rights to actually provide affordable heathcare for all, but they don't want that, they want to have more government control. Since Obama has been if office he has inserted, on some level, government control of our financial institutions, our auto making industry and now our healthcare.

    And even more troublesome, he's got two more years to really screw us deeply.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

  19. #19
    Elite Member TonyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    10,341
    Why healthcare is not a right (or should not be):

    1. At any given time, on earth, only about 20% of the population is ill or sick, injured or diseased. Healthcare is for the majority, not the minority.

    2. Health is the responsibility of the individual.

    3. As in any other service or commodity that involves receiving something that one needs or desires, one must exchange for that service or thing. One cannot expect to receive something for nothing in exchange. To do so is the basis of criminality.

    What rights do all men on earth have?
    You probably never read the Universal Declaration of Human Rights!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

    LRH

  20. #20
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    GOP succeeds in forcing another House vote on health care
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/...ex.html?hpt=T1


Similar Threads

  1. Senate passes health care reform bill, 60-39
    By jeremyboycool in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-27-09, 08:14 PM
  2. U.S. healthcare faces tough path in Senate
    By jeremyboycool in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 11-12-09, 12:49 AM
  3. Newly elected Congressman break 4 promises in first hour
    By Prey521 in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-09, 09:21 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-06-09, 03:09 PM
  5. Universal Healthcare: How to git'r done for the US
    By JawZ in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 255
    Last Post: 08-03-08, 07:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •