Thread: Configuring PPPoE on my WiFi router instead of my Fiber Optic modem

Configuring PPPoE on my WiFi router instead of my Fiber Optic modem

Hi,

I have a Fiber Optic connection at home, where the Fiber Optic modem is connected to my WiFi router. The problem is that in order to connect to the Internet, I have to first connect to the WiFi (WPA2) and then dial-in via PPPoE into the Internet. I provide the ISP username and password in the second step.

I am using Windows 7, and have created a PPPoE connection.

I have to connect to this PPPoE every time I need to connect to the Internet. I have had to configure this on all my laptops, and have to connect using each individual machine where I need an Internet connection. This is a big pain, as you can imagine. Further, I want to connect my Nexus One to the home WiFi Internet connection, but since it doesn't have PPPoE support, I can't do this.

I went to my router settings (3Com 3CRWDR200A-75), and found something that seemed promising. In the Internet Settings section, I saw a place to provide the PPPoE username and password.

However, this hasn't helped. I still have to connect using the PPPoE connection in Windows

Does anybody have any ideas/tips? Any help would be appreciated, as this is getting frustrating.

Cheers,
    Wild Thing

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    If you have a router you should only need to put the router in pppoe mode just make sure you have the right user name and passowrd in the router. Also check to see if your modem is in a bridge mode. In windows 7 create a connection that is always on in the wizard since the router is logging on for you.

I would just get another router if that one is a pain to work with it could be also too that your modem is brouter modem and router if that is the case you would need to setup one computer in pppoe mode then setup the ics sharring.

Basically either by new router or just setup one computer for pppoe and ics and then have the other always connect.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ection-Sharing
    Comptia a+ n+

In your router, enter the PPPoE username and password.
    Be sure to delete any PPPoE connections on all of your computers.
    In your router, be sure to do all the security things such as:
    Change access password to router
    If using wireless, use an unique SSID (not the default Linksys or Dlink), use strong security such as WPA2 and a password (network key)
    Avoid ICS as it's unnecessarily complicated. Your router can make the connection for all computers.
    In each computer's network TCP/IP settings, have it select IP and DNS addresses automatically.
    On any computer connecting wireless, select the SSID and then enter the key when requested.
    Each computer will connect to the router. The router makes the internet connection for all. It's through the router that each computer gets to the internet.
    You should be able to connect to the internet now from all of your computers whether wireless or whether you choose to connect one/more by ethernet cable.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Well said jen i fogot about the firewalls and wpa
    Comptia a+ n+