Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, seriously, is SG slowing down or just General Discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Like any forum, you can select how "open" you wish to be.

I am liking fb less and less, however.

Well with a mug like yers it's no wonder.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    You can control who sees what on faccia libre.
    When I joined the first time, I had people's pics showing up that I simply had seen at another website. Facebook had gathered the information and put it right out there. At that point, strangers could see all my information. I don't know how facebook knew that some of these people happen to be on some of the same sites I was on. I got out fast because it looked like I had a coupla hundred friends I was sharing info with.

I may try it again.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Like any forum, you can select how "open" you wish to be.
    I joined the first time thinking I would make my own rules but when I looked, every contact I ever had and people I hardly knew were listed as potential contacts. So, like, there were people seeing my stuff I had no relation to and did not wish to know that well. I got out fast. Maybe I'll try again.

I am liking fb less and less, however.
    I don't like big complicated orgs where being sociable is pushed on you. I go much slower in making friends and contacts.

Facebook=
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahnn View Post
    Things are slow here but I don't go to the tech pages. So, does anyone know what the general activity level is here across the boards??
    In my opinion the "General Forum" is dead, mainly because of moderation in the past.
    Speedguide.... If you don't love Obama you won't like it here.
    Straight out the Trailer!
    Re.....Spect "walk"!

MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 3G of Ram, OS X

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    In my opinion the "General Forum" is dead, mainly because of moderation in the past.
    or to reword, some of the moderation from the past is "dead", mainly because of your opinion.

I'm on Facebook and...
    I ignore all games invites.
    I ignore all applications except the default ones.
    I don't care about your farm.
    I won't help you with your Mafia Wars either.
    If you spend more than 2+ hrs/day on Facebook I hide your posts.
    I look at your photos, but gee wiz, you have way too many.
    I browse your friends list searching for people I know.
    When you make whiney emotional posts I may comment rudely.
    Don't send me suggestions, I can think for myself.
    Posting in the 3rd person is not witty.
    Poke yourself and see how you like it.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I'm on Facebook and...
    I ignore all games invites.
    I ignore all applications except the default ones.
    I don't care about your farm.
    I won't help you with your Mafia Wars either.
    If you spend more than 2+ hrs/day on Facebook I hide your posts.
    I look at your photos, but gee wiz, you have way too many.
    I browse your friends list searching for people I know.
    When you make whiney emotional posts I may comment rudely.
    Don't send me suggestions, I can think for myself.
    Posting in the 3rd person is not witty.
    Poke yourself and see how you like it.
    Wow, I think you said it all, while the rest are just thinking it to themselves. Your plan would work anywhere.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Hmm.. this place has been unusually slow...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
    Hmm.. this place has been unusually slow...
    last 3 days was very slow, something happen with SG Forum

# OS: Windows, Linux # Browser: Blink, Gecko, Presto, Webkit + Squid + Bind

Quote Originally Posted by akbarri View Post
    last 3 days was very slow, something happen with SG Forum
    Spring weather.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Blog Entries
    I hope we see (or are seeing) a increase of traffic on the across the tech forums here.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Aww, do you miss your friend?

With the way you carry on and on you must obliviously miss Downhill. It's OK, JC, we all do, he is a great guy and it'd be nice if he came back.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    ....... it'd be nice if he came back.
    That mod had to be the singularly top reason so many have left this forum. if he came back you might as well stick a fork in this forum, 'cause it'll be done.
    09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0

"Appeasers feed the crocodile, hoping it will eat them last." - Winston Churchill

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Aww, do you miss your friend?

With the way you carry on and on you must obliviously miss Downhill. It's OK, JC, we all do, he is a great guy and it'd be nice if he came back.

He never said a name, and to be honest those such as yourself whom seem to be attracted to posts like the one JC did or a few of mine here lately is one reason people are drivin from the General Discussion area. It's ok to discuss a topic at hand but it's not ok to only respond to comments or postings by "certain" individuals to feed your extraneous ways which is for the sole intent to get a emotional response.

As for myself, I try to post not only in the GD area but also on the tech sections when someone asks for help I can usually take a few mins and either help from experience or at least help them look up a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpunge View Post
    That mod had to be the singularly top reason so many have left this forum. if he came back you might as well stick a fork in this forum, 'cause it'll be done.
    Not even close to being true and any staff member plus several long time members would back that. We got far more complaints regarding certain members then we ever got regarding a single staff member and more often then not we also got replies regarding something DH stated showing signs of support for his remarks.

Feel free to speculate otherwise, but there is literally no evidence to back your claim that DH was the single biggest reason why some have left this forum.

Certified SG Addict
    Downhill or other mods aren't to blame. If anyone had a reason to leave the forums because of him, I did. Just read my "Open Letter to SG" from a long time ago.

Downhill was as partisan as they come, and sometimes it spilled over when he involved himself in a pointed political threads. But his "liberalism" is no more deleterious to the forum as the "conservatism" many of you espouse.

The reason people leave the forum is either a) they just get tired of bickering; or, more often, b) they are simply unable to coexist in the realm of opposing ideas. Either their position is the majority, or they decry the whole place is a wretched hive of scum and villany. (think: Ghosthunter)

I've learned that you're not going to change anyone's mind on anything. That's why I seldom post these days. Transformational change of a person's fundamental beliefs/opinions wells up from within that person, on their own accord, in its own time.

Intelligent discussion can contribute to such change, but what is often found here are molotov cocktail replies meant to pump up the fire. That's unfortunate, because the Gen Forum has become overrun with inanity. A separate forum wouldn't fix anything. The *******s would just have a new playground.

Tolerance of ideas is the only remedy, and there is little evidence of that taking hold here.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpunge View Post

You quoting Ghosthunter quoting Prey. Nice.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    Downhill or other mods aren't to blame. If anyone had a reason to leave the forums because of him, I did. Just read my "Open Letter to SG" from a long time ago.

Downhill was as partisan as they come, and sometimes it spilled over when he involved himself in a pointed political threads. But his "liberalism" is no more deleterious to the forum as the "conservatism" many of you espouse.
    You don't mind if this "broad" comments on your post, do you?

Moderators have a responsibility to back off once they have made their point. They can't take anything personally because they are moderating for everyone, including the guy who busted their chops, so best not have any personal stake in the issue being discussed. It's tough being a moderator.

The reason people leave the forum is either a) they just get tired of bickering; or, more often, b) they are simply unable to coexist in the realm of opposing ideas. Either their position is the majority, or they decry the whole place is a wretched hive of scum and villany. (think: Ghosthunter)
    It doesn't matter why they say they leave. People leave forums because either no one or nothing is holding their attention. (I think that's the main cause)...people don't leave as much as they actually "drift off"...... or people leave because they feel that they are not getting the support and respect of those who they have chosen as mentors on the board....or they are run off by constant negativity aimed at them, even criticism, lack of respect, etc. It takes its toll, some folks last longer than others.

I've learned that you're not going to change anyone's mind on anything. That's why I seldom post these days. Transformational change of a person's fundamental beliefs/opinions wells up from within that person, on their own accord, in its own time.
    To me, the debate is like a game of chess. It sharpens the wit, makes you think and leaves you responsible for moves you make. I love debate. I need people around me who see things differently than I do. And my challenge is for them to at least see where I'm coming from (plant a seed, if you will) even if they don't agree with me.

Seems there are two kinds of folks at discussion sites.......those who like to tackle tough issues and those who like small talk, keeping up with their buds. It's nice if you find a site that does both, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    He never said a name, and to be honest those such as yourself whom seem to be attracted to posts like the one JC did or a few of mine here lately is one reason people are drivin from the General Discussion area. It's ok to discuss a topic at hand but it's not ok to only respond to comments or postings by "certain" individuals to feed your extraneous ways which is for the sole intent to get a emotional response.

As for myself, I try to post not only in the GD area but also on the tech sections when someone asks for help I can usually take a few mins and either help from experience or at least help them look up a solution.
    "He never said a name,"

He didn't need to.

"and to be honest those such as yourself whom seem to be attracted to posts like the one JC did or a few of mine here lately is one reason people are drivin from the General Discussion area. It's ok to discuss a topic at hand but it's not ok to only respond to comments or postings by "certain" individuals to feed your extraneous ways which is for the sole intent to get a emotional response.

As for myself, I try to post not only in the GD area but also on the tech sections when someone asks for help I can usually take a few mins and either help from experience or at least help them look up a solution"

You might as well just give it up, Sava. You can not drive me away.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking