Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of this site?

  1. #1
    ~BD~
    Guest

    Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of this site?

    I've obfuscated with two x's

    hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php

    --
    Dave

  2. #2
    ~BD~
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of thissite?

    ~BD~ wrote:
    > I've obfuscated with two x's
    >
    > hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php
    >


    I ask because Safari gives this warning:

    http://i45.tinypic.com/194383.jpg

  3. #3
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of this site?

    ~BD~ wrote:

    > I've obfuscated with two x's
    >
    > hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php


    Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.

    ~$ whois aw-confirm.net

    Administrative Contact:
    motors, ebay ha1pa@hotmail.com
    ha1pa@hotmail.com, 5
    azoreus, RO 12134
    IT
    +39.40722246789

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

  4. #4
    ~BD~
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of thissite?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > ~BD~ wrote:
    >
    >> I've obfuscated with two x's
    >>
    >> hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php

    >
    > Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    > in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.
    >
    > ~$ whois aw-confirm.net
    >
    > Administrative Contact:
    > motors, ebay ha1pa@hotmail.com
    > ha1pa@hotmail.com, 5
    > azoreus, RO 12134
    > IT
    > +39.40722246789
    >



    Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    ....... but you didn't answer my question!

    Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    by a colour change of the address bar.

    I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.

    Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?

    Which browser do you use btw?

    --
    Dave

  5. #5
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of this site?

    ~BD~ wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>> I've obfuscated with two x's
    >>>
    >>> hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php

    >>
    >> Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    >> in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.
    >>
    >> ~$ whois aw-confirm.net
    >>
    >> Administrative Contact:
    >> motors, ebay ha1pa@hotmail.com
    >> ha1pa@hotmail.com, 5
    >> azoreus, RO 12134
    >> IT
    >> +39.40722246789

    >
    > Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    > ....... but you didn't answer my question!


    You didn't post any question. I quoted your entire content and do not
    see a question.

    > Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    > by a colour change of the address bar.


    ...or better yet (as some n00b surfers may be colour-blind), the warning
    message you saw.

    > I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.
    > Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?


    Yes, a couple of them. Browsers started doing that a couple years ago,
    because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    scammed.

    > Which browser do you use btw?


    I use several browsers, depending on the task(s) at hand. All of them
    are Linux browsers.

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

  6. #6
    ~BD~
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of thissite?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > ~BD~ wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>>> I've obfuscated with two x's
    >>>>
    >>>> hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    >>> in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.
    >>>
    >>> ~$ whois aw-confirm.net
    >>>
    >>> Administrative Contact:
    >>> motors, ebay ha1pa@hotmail.com
    >>> ha1pa@hotmail.com, 5
    >>> azoreus, RO 12134
    >>> IT
    >>> +39.40722246789

    >>
    >> Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    >> ....... but you didn't answer my question!

    >
    > You didn't post any question. I quoted your entire content and do not
    > see a question.



    I apologise for posing my question in the thread 'Subject'.

    (Someone of your intellect might well have noticed that!)


    >> Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    >> by a colour change of the address bar.

    >
    > ..or better yet (as some n00b surfers may be colour-blind), the warning
    > message you saw.


    Indeed. (nice to see you adopting _UK_ English! <g>)


    >> I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.
    >> Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?

    >
    > Yes, a couple of them. Browsers started doing that a couple years ago,
    > because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    > scammed.


    You say 'n00b' in a derogatory way - as if you had never been one.
    Perhaps they are not all "thick", just not familiar with computers.
    Chances are, I'll bet, that *you'll* be dead long before most of *them*!

    >> Which browser do you use btw?

    >
    > I use several browsers, depending on the task(s) at hand. All of them
    > are Linux browsers.
    >


    Thanks. I found a list here:
    http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/de...x_systems.php3

    --
    Dave

  7. #7
    unruh
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of thissite?

    On 2010-03-04, ~BD~ <BoaterDave@~NO.SPAM~hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>>>> I've obfuscated with two x's
    >>>>>
    >>>>> hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php
    >>>>
    >>>> Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    >>>> in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.
    >>>>
    >>>> ~$ whois aw-confirm.net
    >>>>
    >>>> Administrative Contact:
    >>>> motors, ebay ha1pa@hotmail.com
    >>>> ha1pa@hotmail.com, 5
    >>>> azoreus, RO 12134
    >>>> IT
    >>>> +39.40722246789
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    >>> ....... but you didn't answer my question!

    >>
    >> You didn't post any question. I quoted your entire content and do not
    >> see a question.

    >
    >
    > I apologise for posing my question in the thread 'Subject'.
    >
    > (Someone of your intellect might well have noticed that!)
    >


    Your question in the subject makes little sense. Why do you care if
    someone else also gets a warning? That is obviously a fraudulent
    phishing address, whose purpose is to destroy your financial livelihood.
    You should be glad if your browser warned you.
    He pointed out to you as perhaps you had not noticed, that this site is a
    fraudulent site. And all you do is yell at him.


    >
    >>> Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    >>> by a colour change of the address bar.

    >>
    >> ..or better yet (as some n00b surfers may be colour-blind), the warning
    >> message you saw.

    >
    > Indeed. (nice to see you adopting _UK_ English! <g>)
    >
    >
    >>> I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.
    >>> Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?

    >>
    >> Yes, a couple of them. Browsers started doing that a couple years ago,
    >> because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    >> scammed.

    >
    > You say 'n00b' in a derogatory way - as if you had never been one.
    > Perhaps they are not all "thick", just not familiar with computers.
    > Chances are, I'll bet, that *you'll* be dead long before most of *them*!


    And this advances your question how?

    >
    >>> Which browser do you use btw?

    >>
    >> I use several browsers, depending on the task(s) at hand. All of them
    >> are Linux browsers.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks. I found a list here:
    > http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/de...x_systems.php3
    >




  8. #8
    ~BD~
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of thissite?

    unruh wrote:
    > On 2010-03-04, ~BD~<BoaterDave@~NO.SPAM~hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>>> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>>>>> I've obfuscated with two x's
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Perhaps it is because Her Majesty's Tax Service is registered to a name
    >>>>> in *Romania* - and uses an obviously false contact name.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ~$ whois aw-confirm.net
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Administrative Contact:
    >>>>> motors, ebay ha1pa@hotmail.com
    >>>>> ha1pa@hotmail.com, 5
    >>>>> azoreus, RO 12134
    >>>>> IT
    >>>>> +39.40722246789
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks for responding Bts - I appreciate the information .....
    >>>> ....... but you didn't answer my question!
    >>>
    >>> You didn't post any question. I quoted your entire content and do not
    >>> see a question.

    >>
    >>
    >> I apologise for posing my question in the thread 'Subject'.
    >>
    >> (Someone of your intellect might well have noticed that!)
    >>

    >
    > Your question in the subject makes little sense.


    What part of my question is unclear?

    > Why do you care if
    > someone else also gets a warning?


    I'm simply interested. What is wrong with that?

    > That is obviously a fraudulent
    > phishing address, whose purpose is to destroy your financial livelihood.


    Please explain *how* it is *obvious* simply by looking at the URL

    hxxp://www.aw-confirm.net/refundtax/index.php

    > You should be glad if your browser warned you.


    Indeed I am! :)

    > He pointed out to you as perhaps you had not noticed, that this site is a
    > fraudulent site. And all you do is yell at him.


    My question had (I thought) implied that I already knew it was a
    fraudulent site!


    >>>> Some browsers *do* now produce a warning of one sort or another, often
    >>>> by a colour change of the address bar.
    >>>
    >>> ..or better yet (as some n00b surfers may be colour-blind), the warning
    >>> message you saw.

    >>
    >> Indeed. (nice to see you adopting _UK_ English!<g>)
    >>
    >>
    >>>> I've posted the 'warning' sign given by Safari.
    >>>> Did *your* _browser_ give you any sort of warning?
    >>>
    >>> Yes, a couple of them. Browsers started doing that a couple years ago,
    >>> because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    >>> scammed.

    >>
    >> You say 'n00b' in a derogatory way - as if you had never been one.
    >> Perhaps they are not all "thick", just not familiar with computers.
    >> Chances are, I'll bet, that *you'll* be dead long before most of *them*!

    >
    > And this advances your question how?


    Not at all, but it made me feel better! ;)

    Many 'n00bs' (myself excluded) are somewhat younger than Bts - that is
    hardly a fault, is it. Arrogance doesn't really have much of a place on
    a supposedly 'help' site.

    >>>> Which browser do you use btw?
    >>>
    >>> I use several browsers, depending on the task(s) at hand. All of them
    >>> are Linux browsers.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Thanks. I found a list here:
    >> http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/de...x_systems.php3
    >>


    --
    Dave - some of this was *supposed* to have been light-hearted!

  9. #9
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    Guest

    Re: Does anyone else have any warning about the validity of this site?

    ~BD~ wrote:

    > unruh wrote:
    >> ~BD~ wrote:
    >>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>> because the n00bs are too thick to recognize when they are being
    >>>> scammed.
    >>>
    >>> You say 'n00b' in a derogatory way - as if you had never been one.


    I was a n00b perhaps 30 years ago, or more.

    >>> Perhaps they are not all "thick", just not familiar with computers.
    >>> Chances are, I'll bet, that *you'll* be dead long before most of
    >>> *them*!

    >>
    >> And this advances your question how?

    >
    > Not at all, but it made me feel better! ;)
    >
    > Many 'n00bs' (myself excluded) are somewhat younger than Bts - that
    > is hardly a fault, is it.


    Many n00bs are also older than bts (1941). Age doesn't matter.

    > Arrogance doesn't really have much of a place on a supposedly 'help'
    > site.


    What 'help' site?

    Anyway, the subject is now moot, as the aw-confirm site has been taken
    down.

    --
    -bts
    -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

Similar Threads

  1. A warning from Google!
    By BoaterDave in forum alt.computer.security
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-16-09, 09:19 AM
  2. Web site compromised?
    By Kompu Kid in forum alt.computer.security
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-09-09, 10:22 AM
  3. my cable modem dissconnects all the time?
    By cableguy2k7 in forum General Broadband Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-01-08, 08:30 PM
  4. Cox Cable problem
    By ltwally in forum General Broadband Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-08, 02:21 AM
  5. new cable modem connection problems?
    By cableguy2k7 in forum General Broadband Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-07, 10:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •