Thread: Dial-up And Wireless

Dial-up And Wireless

Girlfriend just moved into a beautiful country home. No highspeed net access in the area as of yet. She only has her laptop. Any one know of any such set up to for a dial up connection and a wireless router?

Found a pretty cool gadget called WiFlyer. Any one have any experiences with this or any other set up's? Does she need a 56k modem installed in her laptop? Do not think she has one.

Blog Entries
    Some laptops still have a dialup moedm in them... Otherwise you can use an external/USB modem and hook it to either the laptop or the WAN port of a WiFi router...

Another option is satellite (HughesNet ?), or long distance wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Some laptops still have a dialup moedm in them... Otherwise you can use an external/USB modem and hook it to either the laptop or the WAN port of a WiFi router...

Another option is satellite (HughesNet ?), or long distance wireless.
    Thanks for the input Philip. Totally forgot about the usb modem. Long distance wireless is an option but she is trying to save money at the moment. Install is $200 then the usual monthly fee. Once I move in..then I will be switching over. No way im going back to dial-up, LOL.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Haven't seen the WiFlyer in years......that was a dial up wireless router.

Cellular options? There are routers that have WAN connections which use EvDO cards. Or just use a laptop with one..and share it via wireless to other PCs in your house.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Haven't seen the WiFlyer in years......that was a dial up wireless router.

Cellular options? There are routers that have WAN connections which use EvDO cards. Or just use a laptop with one..and share it via wireless to other PCs in your house.
    Right now she is using AT&T Wirless connect card and where she moved it is out of the 3G network so it is very slow with dropped connections. Im trying to find other net options at the moment. There is a wireless option but they are wanting $200 for install and she can not afford it at the moment. Might have to go with dial up until she gets settled in. Im planning on moving in but not for a few months after my lease expires. Then I will getting that wireless installed.

cdma wireless internet

guys. I am stuck with a CDMA wireless internet connection. I have no options, because its cheap and also no cable in the area. All gsm providers (expensive as nuts) here have a limit of 2gb/month after which the connection slows to snail. so can anyone help me with how to optimize 1. my comp. 2. my modem. info: usb modem. I really need the assist. thanks and God Bless. Matt

I also use a modem ZTE AC682 smartfren, promised connections in 3.1Mbps Download and Upload upto upto 384 Kbps. But the fact that I download with IDM only to 30 kb / sec, what if I use streaming video, I'm so stress! Smartfren signal that I see in modem only three bars. What could be expected from a Dial-up? Whether it HSDPA or EVDO, it is still the same slow connection. I'm so Stresssss!!!!!!!!