Thread: CompTIA A+ Practical Application 2009 Objectives (Got my A+ Cert)

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CompTIA A+ Practical Application 2009 Objectives (Got my A+ Cert)

Well I got out a few hours ago from doing the CompTIA A+ Practical Application 2009 Objectives

I want to say that there was trick questions but it's more like trick answers.
    There were like several answers that were correct but there was only 1 answer that was correct out of all of them.

I can't say there was any in particular focus in the test, it was really spread out.

Oh and one thing to definitely remember is the directories of stuff. Like where the users are in Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

Also you'll need to know where to find logs of the OS install.

Another thing is you'll need to know a few commands for the Run area and the command line stuff.

Other than that nothing out of the ordinary just the usual networking/printer/computer problems with a bunch of given scenarios.

I missed the same amount of questions in this one as I did in the Essentials test but this time I got a lower score, I guess I missed some of the more bigger questions.

755/900 min pass score is 700. So in a sense I barely passed.

to be honest, only because I didn't get a perfect score on either test I seriously feel like this:

Well I suppose it just goes to show how much I've still got to study. Only because I'm officially certified doesn't mean I'm going to stop studying. I've still got a lot to learn. Not sure where to go from here but I certainly need a job first to pay off my CC which got me the vouchers for the exams. Then from there maybe Network+? or Security+? Maybe Linux+ when I get the hang of it.

anywho. Posting from Fedora Linux partition on my 2nd HDD. Figure I might as well start somewhere.

In case you're curious, yes I mostly missed networking questions pretty much same as last time.

Well good luck to everyone out there trying to get the A+ Cert. and Happy V-Day
    Last edited by PsykoPenguin; 02-14-10 at 02:48 AM.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Congratulations on getting the A+. I would get Net + next. Those two should help you find a job, even if itís low paying. At least that would help you get the experience you need for a nice paying job.

Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Congratulations on getting the A+. I would get Net + next. Those two should help you find a job, even if itís low paying. At least that would help you get the experience you need for a nice paying job.

Thanks! Well I'll take your word for it and I'll start studying for Network+ once I develop some money to buy a book or 2 again. Study guides are always nice.

All I know is that A+ cert is a life long goal accomplished. I feel proud.
    but there's still work to do, bills to pay and mouths to feed, nothing in this world for free. If only I can actually find somewhere that's hiring. Seems like I'm too late for jobs. Keep checking all tech jobs around my area that are entry level and they're all taken sadly.

Suppose I could just continue trying to freelance on CL amongst the thousands of others with the same qualifications.

I am about to start studying for A+/Network+, got any old text books for sale?

arnt there like three different A+ tests? how did you study?

Here in Washington dc, I recently got laid off so I need some certs to find a reasonable job. Having these two certs and a security clearance starts between 40-65k a year, hell friends who do Tier 2 helpdesk at the pentagon without college/certs make about $65k a year (3-5years experience)

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tHE_0ne View Post
    I am about to start studying for A+/Network+, got any old text books for sale?

arnt there like three different A+ tests? how did you study?

Here in Washington dc, I recently got laid off so I need some certs to find a reasonable job. Having these two certs and a security clearance starts between 40-65k a year, hell friends who do Tier 2 helpdesk at the pentagon without college/certs make about $65k a year (3-5years experience)
    2 tests for A+, 336 USD total for 2 vouchers, 1 voucher for each test.

my study guide was CompTIA A+ Certification All-In-One For Dummies 2nd Edition (October 2009), not in too bad of condition. can't say it's in like-new condition or anything but hey it's readable with no missing pages. it's really not that bad of a condition. that should cover 2009 revisions. if you want my copy well i dont know, id guess id take 15 for it but youd have to pay shipping. I think you're better off just buying it from one of those other stores listed at B&N i saw one that was new for 23 USD + shipping. + tax.

other than that i just did everything in that book that i possibly could with the resources that i had on my computer. Best if you get a copy of Win2k, WinXP and WinVista since those are on the A+ exams. familiarize yourself with all though Win7 would be a good replacement for Vista.

Here in cali i haven't even had a job which is why i went for my cert but hell it seems like no ones hiring even with those credentials around here, guess i should move to another locale where i know they're hiring. Anyway, sorry to see that you lost your job, what did you work in?

Another thing to familiarize yourself with is network cables old and new which the dummy guide covers.

Also Data cables of all sorts which the dummy guide covers.

hell the dummy guide covers practically everything. very good study guide.

Do it all before the end of December, by 2011 all certs acquired then will expire every 3 years.

Thanks for the information!

I cant believe it will expire now! wow! I need to get on it asap

I was doing Data Entry for a trust fund which require a lot of math and fixing problems that occurred for over 20 years... it sucked...

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tHE_0ne View Post
    Thanks for the information!

I cant believe it will expire now! wow! I need to get on it asap

I was doing Data Entry for a trust fund which require a lot of math and fixing problems that occurred for over 20 years... it sucked...
    No problem.

You're telling me. I've got to get 2 two more certs before 2011 and i have no idea where im going to get that kind of money.

bah. to think that it was a possible job for me. definitely not a job id want to do. sounds boring and annoying. besides i suck at math.

Download the 2009 A+ objectives from here: http://www.comptia.org/certification...bjectives.aspx

just gotta fill out some basic info before downloading them but yeah. just take a look at them and it shows what will be on the tests for the most part. Study hard. Practical Application exam can be a bit intimidating so yeah definitely got to focus on Tech to Client situations. got to dumb it down for the client.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UbahPenguin View Post
    Do it all before the end of December, by 2011 all certs acquired then will expire every 3 years.
    Just wanted to share something with You and tHE_0ne..

CompTIA is doing a "2-step" in regards to expiration that they now put on A+, Networking+ and Security+ certificates. They have been noted for years as a valued cert to get, because once you acquire the cert, it's good for life. There are two things that they are doing now. The first is that they have "bridge exams" so when there is new technologies that come out, the person who has a cert can take a "bridge exam" on just the new content, and not the older content that they tested on before. The other reason is that this keeps them accredited with the ANSI:
    The Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA), a leading provider of vendor-neutral certifications for the world’s technology workforce, announces three of its professional certifications—CompTIA A+, Network+ and Security+—have achieved accreditation from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Accreditation of the three certifications is the culmination of a multimonth process to verify compliance with requirements outlined in internationally accepted standards for assessing personnel certification programs (ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024); and for the operation of accreditation bodies (ISO/IEC 17011).
    The funny thing is that on their web site, it still says in my profile that the certificate never expires. And that is something that CompTIA keeps side stepping on. What I'm going to do with my Security+ cert, and make a copy of it, and then take the expiration date out, as that is not what I was told before I took my Security+ test from CompTIA, and it still says in my profile on their site that the cert does not expire.

And congrats on getting A+ ! I seen many Administrators over the years that have their MCSE cert, and are good server administrators but do not know "jack" about hardware and software troubleshooting. Don't drag it down as a entry cert, you got the skills to get a good tech job.
    Last edited by Shinobi; 02-20-10 at 08:06 PM.

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting.. I found this today:

CompTIA will not require recertification for any current holders of CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certification. You are not required to retest to maintain your valid CompTIA certification. Regardless of when you became certified in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+, you are certified for life.

For candidates currently preparing to sit for a CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ exam, if you pass an exam and become certified by December 31, 2010, you too will have a lifetime certification with no requirements for recertification or retesting.

Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. After three years, the certification must be renewed. This can be done by passing the most current exam for a respective certification or by participating in CompTIAís upcoming new continuing education program, which will allow individuals to keep their skills current and their certification up to date without retesting.

Weíve worked hard to balance the interests of our current and future customers first and foremost, with the stringent requirements to maintain our ISO 17024 accreditation for CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+. Our ISO accreditation is extremely important to us because of the global credibility it carries. Equally important is the trust our certificate holders placed in us when they became certified. We believe our new plan accomplishes both goals.
    http://www.comptia.org/certification...d/renewal.aspx