Thread: Firefox 3.6 not opening speed test page

Resolved - Firefox 3.6 not opening speed test page

I recently made the switch to Firefox, and I have discovered an odd problem. When I click on the "SG Speed Test" button (either on the Main page or in the drop down menu above) my browser just reloads the page I am currently on. I don't get any error messages or message bars at the top of the page. I have done successful speed tests with IE, so I know there is no problem with the test page, and it must be a setting I need to tweak.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by ThaDude; 01-30-10 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added "resolved" to title

works fine for me... what add on's do you have maybe its one of those or something?

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten about those Add-ons.
    I run Adblock Plus 1.1.3, Tineye Reverse Image Search, and Web Of Trust (WOT).
    But they aren't the problem because before I wrote this I disabled all of them and restarted FF, but speed test will still not load.
    In FF options, I have Pop Up Blocker enabled, but I just disabled it and restarted FF and failed to open the speed test page. I'm wondering if there is something I have enabled or disabled in options that is causing this problem. Most of the options are default, but I did go to Options, Advanced, General, and checked the box for "Warn me when web sites try to redirect or reload the page". But I unchecked that box a minute ago and restarted FF, same results.
    Thanks again.

I wonder if I need a certain Plug In for the speed test?
    Here are the ones I have listed under Tools, Add Ons, Plug Ins;
    Divx Web Player 2.0.0.254
    Microsoft DRM 9.0.0.4503
    Mozilla Default Plugin 1.0.0.15
    Shockwave Flash 10.0.42.34
    Microsoft Media Player Plug in Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629

Well, I tried typing the address for the speed test page directly in the address bar (www.speedguide.net/speedtest/) and got the error pictured below. The strange thing is that I have cookies enabled. Under "Options", "Privacy" I have the following boxes checked:
    Accept cookies from sites.
    Accept third-party cookies.
    Keep until they expire.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

It should load fine with FF without an addon or anything.

Why did you switch to FF? Were you having problems with IE?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    It should load fine with FF without an addon or anything.

Why did you switch to FF? Were you having problems with IE?

Many web pages I visit have started putting in tons of redirection type ads, where you are looking at a page, then all of a sudden it goes to some ad on a completely different page for some product, and no matter how many times you click back, you can't go back to where you were. Also, getting sick of all of the ads in web pages, and doing some research I learned about Adblock plus. Since it is not available for IE, I went with FF. Also FF has the option to be warned before you are redirected to another page, so that stopped all the annoying redirection ads I mentioned in the first line. Other than this small issue with the speed test I am happy with FF.

Blog Entries
    It should work in Firefox, I just tested it again.
    The page does not use addons, other than Google Maps...
    http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/ loads the index.php page in that directory...

Are you getting the error when loading that page, or after you choose a server and click on a speed test ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    It should work in Firefox, I just tested it again.
    The page does not use addons, other than Google Maps...
    http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/ loads the index.php page in that directory...

Are you getting the error when loading that page, or after you choose a server and click on a speed test ?
    It is working now! I don't know what was going on before. But to answer your question, I was getting that error when I tried to load that page, I never got to the point of being able to choose a server.
    Well, thanks for the response!