Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: More EarthQuakes

Quote Originally Posted by JawZ View Post
    The recent incidents are part of a trend...

Yes, earthquakes are usually part of a trend, UOD.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Increased frequency cluster.
    Exactly... we can speculate what has happened longer than 200years ago since we didn't really start taking data till the most recent century. Therefore out data only shows what's happened in the "blink of an eye" in regards to earthquake history. It could be true that the recent amounts and strength of each one is more so than others in the same time frame in say 10,000 years. NOBODY really knows, so we go on what we as a generation have seen from facts and numbers. I truly believe something is going on on a large and serious scale!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    Yes, earthquakes are usually part of a trend, UOD.

And therefore the current cluster could possibly represent a statistical deviation...which means that it may lie outside of the norm. Unlikely, but possible.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

No, just giving Jeremy an example of a trend. It's obvious that he can't put the dialogue into context so I'm mentoring him.

Increased frequency cluster.
    "I'm mentoring him. "

Not interested. Besides, one thing that is clear, noboby here has any worthwile understanding of seismology and is in no position to mentor anyone else. But if you want to treat me like an equal, you are more then welcome to.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    "I'm mentoring him. "

Not interested. Besides, one thing that is clear, noboby here has any worthwile understanding of seismology and is in no position to mentor anyone else. But if you want to treat me like an equal, you are more then welcome to.

I'm not mentoring you in a subject I'm unfamiliar with. While not a seismologist, I am well trained in statistics and the methods employed. While we are equals in some respects, we each have areas of expertise.

And therefore the current cluster could possibly represent a statistical deviation...which means that it may lie outside of the norm. Unlikely, but possible.
    "Possibilities" are misleading, it is much better to focus on probability instead.

I'm not mentoring you in a subject I'm unfamiliar with. While not a seismologist, I am well trained in statistics and the methods employed. While we are equals in some respects, we each have areas of expertise.
    "I'm not mentoring you in a subject I'm unfamiliar with. "

You are not mentoring me at all, UOD; I can think on my own just fine.

USGS: 6.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Spain

There were no immediate reports of deaths, injuries or damages. The earthquake struck at 12:08 a.m. local time Monday (6:08 p.m. Sunday ET). The quake's epicenter was 24 kilometers (15 miles) southeast of Granada and 93 kilometers (58 miles) northeast of Malaga.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/11...-spain/?hpt=T2

Major earthquake has hit China...400 dead and thousands more injured as reported by CNN.

Major earthquake has hit China...400 dead and thousands more injured as reported by CNN.
    HOLY HELL!!!!

The 6.9-magnitude earthquake, as measured by the U.S. Geological Survey, struck at 7:49 a.m. local time (7:49 p.m. ET Tuesday), when people were probably still at home and schools were beginning the day. The USGS also recorded several strong aftershocks -- one of magnitude 5.8 -- all within hours of the initial quake.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1

Every week you are getting a major quake it would seem... leading up to?

whoa....

6.3-magnitude quake strikes Papua New Guinea

The quake's epicenter was 30 kilometers (20 miles) east of Lae, Papua New Guinea, and 300 km (185 miles) north of the capital, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2

HOLY HELL!!

Quake strikes near Samoa Islands
    An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.2 has struck near the Samoa Islands, the U.S. Geological Survey said Wednesday.

The quake hit at 6:20 a.m. Thursday (1:20 p.m. ET on Wednesday), the agency said.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/21...slands/?hpt=T2

WOOT!!!!

The U.S. Geological Survey has downgraded the magnitude of an earthquake that struck Chile on Friday to 5.9.

The quake hit about 40 miles (65 km) south of Concepcion, Chile, the U.S. Geological Survey said Friday. It was 22 miles (35 km) deep, the USGS said. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

It stuck in the same area as an 8.8-magnitude quake in February that triggered a tsunami, left 800,000 people homeless and caused $30 billion in damage.

[Posted at 6:40 a.m.] An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.1 has struck about 41 miles (65 km) south of Concepcion, Chile, the U.S. Geological Survey said Friday.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/23...-chile/?hpt=T2

O.M.G!!!

An earthquake that struck Indonesia on Saturday was downgraded to a magnitude 6.0, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake, which was initially reported as magnitude 6.1, was centered in the Obi islands, a group of islands in the Indonesian province of Maluku.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage. The quake struck at 4:41 p.m. local time and was about 33 miles (53.4 kilometers) deep.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/24...hquake/?hpt=T2

HOLY HELL!!!

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/18...fornia/?hpt=T2

A 5.1-magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Tuesday evening, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake was centered 18 miles west-southwest of El Centro, California,
    just north of Mexicali in Mexico's Baja California, the USGS said. It struck at
    a depth of 6.3 miles.

"This earthquake is within the aftershock zone of a magnitude 7.2 (earthquake) that occurred on April 4" near Mexicali, said Susan Potter of the USGS. "This is an area that was exposed to many large earthquakes in the past."

At least two people were killed and 100 injured in the April 4 quake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Said Susan Potter of the USGS, "This is an area that was exposed to many large earthquakes in the past."
    Wouldn't that make this a non-news-worthy issue?

ie...This happens all the time, and it just happened again.

Magnitude 7.2 quake strikes off Vanuatu

A 7.2 magnitude earthquake struck near the Pacific island of Vanuatu Thursday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The quake prompted the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center to issue a regional tsunami warning for Vanuatu, the Solomon Islands and New Caledonia.

"It is not known that a tsunami was generated," the Warning Center said in a bulletin. "This warning is based only on the earthquake evaluation. An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicenter within minutes to hours."
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2

7.5-magnitude quake strikes off India coast

A 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of India early Sunday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T3

5.0 Magnitude Canadian Earthquake Felt in U.S.
    A magnitude-5.0 earthquake struck at the Ontario-Quebec border region of Canada on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey said, shaking homes and businesses from Canada's capital in Ottawa on south to the U.S. state of West Virginia.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...html?tag=stack

I thought you stopped, you missed a bunch.