Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: More EarthQuakes

OMG!!!

Indonesia hit by 6.4-magnitude earthquake!!
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    From the link you posted:
    There were no immediate reports of injuries, deaths, or damages on the island nation.
    OMG!!

Why the drama?

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    From the link you posted:

OMG!!

Why the drama?
    Your ignoring the fact of a STRONG EARTHQUAKE! Sure there is no damage but it still reflects the rise in recent strong to intense earthquakes!

Example of another yet today!!

Strong Earthquake Rocks Central Japan
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...html?tag=stack

While yes this is also included:
    Magnitude 6.6 Quake Sways Buildings in Capital, No Immediate Reports of Damage or Casualties
    Still means a magnitude 6.6 Quake has hit in a very small amount of time!

Japan just happens to have a better set of building codes vs many other locations such as Haiti. I really don't care what the historical data of over 1million years has shown, in the last several months there has been a major swing in strong quakes that have been enough to spark a news posting about it.
    Last edited by Sava700; 03-14-10 at 03:41 PM.

ANOTHER EARTHQUAKE!!!

Magnitude 4.4 earthquake rattles Southern California

A magnitude-4.4 earthquake rattled residents of southern California early Tuesday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/16/cal....html?hpt=Sbin

While still minor and occurs often in this region its still another on top of many that we have had here lately!

I really don't care what the historical data of over 1million years has shown, in the last several months there has been a major swing in strong quakes that have been enough to spark a news posting about it.
    and yet, in the scheme of things, there's been no increase at all

Earthquakes happen every day on every continent. Having more sensors in place just means we're more aware of them, not that they didn't happen before.

AND YET AGAIN... in the over all look within the last 2 years alone! Lets look beyond the history of 2 million years, but look at the most recent 2 years!

A 5.6-magnitude earthquake shook Cuba on Saturday.

The quake struck at 1:08 p.m. (2:08 p.m. ET) 22 kilometers (14 miles) below the surface and was centered 44 km (27 miles) south-southwest of Guantanamo, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...ex.html?hpt=T2

AND YET AGAIN... in the over all look within the last 2 years alone! Lets look beyond the history of 2 million years, but look at the most recent 2 years!
    "Lets look beyond the history of 2 million years, but look at the most recent 2 years!"

You can not determine what is abnormal activity by only looking at the pass two years.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post

I like the, "Your news. Your way."
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyboycool View Post
    "Lets look beyond the history of 2 million years, but look at the most recent 2 years!"

You can not determine what is abnormal activity by only looking at the pass two years.
    I can and I will... I'll look at these last 2 years against the 2 years before that, those first 2 years didn't have anything near the amount we have now nor the destruction they have caused. To be honest it sounds as if your not really wanting to add anything to this discussion beyond trying to troll responses as usual.

You would prob have more fun in this thread
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=269396

He's being melodramatic in hopes of getting people riled up.

I can and I will... I'll look at these last 2 years against the 2 years before that, those first 2 years didn't have anything near the amount we have now nor the destruction they have caused. To be honest it sounds as if your not really wanting to add anything to this discussion beyond trying to troll responses as usual.

You would prob have more fun in this thread
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=269396

I said nothing even remotely trollish, Sava. And I'll post wherever I please.

The fact that you resort to personal attacks everything I post in this thread only proves to me that you have no actual rational arguments.

"I can and I will... "

Not if you want to have any valid or accurate understanding. Also, I highly doubt you are more qualified to analyze the data or the math then a bunch of scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    He's being melodramatic in hopes of getting people riled up.
    He must be getting something from it. I find it hard to believe that anyone, even Sava, actually thinks the line of reasoning he is putting forth is valid.

The fact that you resort to personal attacks everything I post in this thread only proves to me that you have no actual rational arguments.

No personal attacks..just stating the truth. I don't wish to argue either, just stating what is being posted on current events not past as in millions of years ago.

Sure are alot more Earthquakes than I've normally seen, I as in me

No personal attacks..just stating the truth. I don't wish to argue either, just stating what is being posted on current events not past as in millions of years ago.

Sure are alot more Earthquakes than I've normally seen, I as in me
    How many earthquakes do you normally witness within you?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    How many earthquakes do you normally witness within you?
    In real life Sava is Roland Emmerich. He has witnessed every major disaster in history.

No personal attacks..
    You know I was not referring to your comments on the earthquakes.

I think you are purposely trying to pick a fight with me.

To be honest it sounds as if your not really wanting to add anything to this discussion beyond trying to troll responses as usual.
    His disagreeing with you doesn't qualify as trolling, Sava.

His response is completely in line with the discussion at hand.

Blog Entries
    We're actually on a pace to have less earthquakes this year. If you look at the stats from the USGS website, of which this chart is from:

You'll see that these are the number of earthquakes as of today. Now, extrapolating the numbers for the rest of the year, you get the following totals:

Code:
    Magnitude.................total
    8.0-9.9.......................1
    7.0-7.9......................14
    6.0-6.9.....................222
    5.0-5.9....................2685
    4.0-4.9....................6523
    3.0-3.9....................1708
    2.0-2.9....................2523
    1.0-1.9......................32
    0.1-0.9.......................0
    No Magnitude.................28
    Total # of quakes.........13736
    I'm no mathematician, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that we'll have fewer quakes this year than we've had in the previous decade.

There have been more deaths so far this year, but that's entirely due to the fact that you had a massive earthquake hit a high density population area that was not equipped to deal with an earthquake, and not due to an upswing in the number of earthquakes (which there aren't).
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    We're actually on a pace to have less earthquakes this year. If you look at the stats from the USGS website, of which this chart is from:

You'll see that these are the number of earthquakes as of today. Now, extrapolating the numbers for the rest of the year, you get the following totals:

Code:
    Magnitude.................total
    8.0-9.9.......................1
    7.0-7.9......................14
    6.0-6.9.....................222
    5.0-5.9....................2685
    4.0-4.9....................6523
    3.0-3.9....................1708
    2.0-2.9....................2523
    1.0-1.9......................32
    0.1-0.9.......................0
    No Magnitude.................28
    Total # of quakes.........13736
    I'm no mathematician, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that we'll have fewer quakes this year than we've had in the previous decade.

There have been more deaths so far this year, but that's entirely due to the fact that you had a massive earthquake hit a high density population area that was not equipped to deal with an earthquake, and not due to an upswing in the number of earthquakes (which there aren't).
    Nice post Indy.
    You must, however, take into consideration that Sava>USGS and that he refused to look at the previous excerpts from their site, which disgreed with him. Information that, btw, you just backed up completely