Thread: Anyone know anything about Comptia a+ certification?

Anyone know anything about Comptia a+ certification?

I just recently found out about this and wondered if anyone here has taken this test. I been wanting to get certified and didn't know what to do and noticed most people recommend this to start.

I took a practice test and did real good on the hardware part. What I didn't do good on was the parts asking questions about old school Windows 95 and NT4.0 systems. I personally don't remember how to boot into safe mode on windows 95 lol, but I would probably look at the screen and press whatever button it asks.

Do they ask you questions about a lot of old operating systems and networks?

From what I been reading I should make at least 15 an hour if I pass.
    If you won't stand behind the troops then you can trying standing in front of them.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I took it a long time ago. Probably a much different test by now, I took mine around the times when Pentium IIs were the common processors, Pentium III's were juuuuuust coming out.

Yes they did ask a bit of old hardware/software when I took it, legacy settings about COM ports, parallel ports, IRQs, I/Os, etc. Granted that stuff isn't as important anymore with those legacy ports fading into history, and APIC compliant systems with >15 IRQs.

If you plan on getting into computers for living....building/fixing/repairing/hardware....I do recommend starting your courses with A+ hardware and A+ Software (they used to be 2 different tests when I took it). When I took it I probably could have taught the course since I'd been doing computers for a while, the class was pretty much a sleeper for me, but IMO it's best to "Build a good foundation" with your courses, starting with the basics...and work up from there.

And yes it was F-8 back then for safe mode with Win9X...I think you could also kick start that with F-5.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A+ courses these days are both hardware and software. I've been meaning to take the A+ test myself but lack of funds I suppose to go to school for it but I found a school nearby for cheap that offers it but it has a large waiting list. xD

I don't know bout any schools but I'd suggest taking a look around adult education and trade schools within your area. See if any offer the course and test.

Though I'd say you'll most likely have to take some courses and start from the ground up... on other words... just blow through the easy stuff then when it comes up to par just do your best and hope for the best. Then when the test comes along you just cross your fingers, pray to your god/goddess/deity and do the best you can on your test. :P
    Last edited by PsykoPenguin; 01-12-10 at 04:58 PM.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

from what I was reading their is no prereq to take the test. Its $168. You get some voucher or something and go to one of there certified testing sites and take it. You don't have to take any courses or schools or anything. Though I'm sure it would help.

I think I'm going to do alot of research and see what other people have to say. I rather not drop a $1000+ on some guy teaching me the same material I either already know or can learn for free.

I feel like some of the stuff on the test is outdated or irrelevant.
    If you won't stand behind the troops then you can trying standing in front of them.

I purchased the A+ for dummies book but don't laugh its pretty good...I've yet to take mine since I've not had the time to but I really should.

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I purchased the A+ for dummies book but don't laugh its pretty good...I've yet to take mine since I've not had the time to but I really should.
    You should be able to pass it Sava.

Quote Originally Posted by opmharley View Post
    from what I was reading their is no prereq to take the test. Its $168. You get some voucher or something and go to one of there certified testing sites and take it. You don't have to take any courses or schools or anything. Though I'm sure it would help.

I think I'm going to do alot of research and see what other people have to say. I rather not drop a $1000+ on some guy teaching me the same material I either already know or can learn for free.

Get http://www.amazon.com/Certification-.../dp/0072229918

And take your Net+ and Security+ after you pass and are comfortable.

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by opmharley View Post

Well not sure where you live but for the price of the test I can take the semester class and get the test for free xD Actually it's less than that so for me I'd rather go to the class and such.

Hmm... If only the waiting list wasnt there...

I think I'll buy this book in the meantime i guess..
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"