Thread: Backing Up a Hard Drive

Backing Up a Hard Drive

Long story short, stuff fell on a friends laptop and I was trying to find a way pull out the hd and try to find a way to back it up. What possible ways if any are there? The laptop is a Dell Studio XPS, only a few months old. Is there anyway I could swap out my HD in my Dell XPS which is a about a year old and put in her HD by chance? Back up the files and swap out again?

Thanks for any responses.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is the machine bootable and you're just wanting to back it up "in case the drive dies soon?"

Do you want to image it? Or just backup the persons important data?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Is the machine bootable and you're just wanting to back it up "in case the drive dies soon?"

Do you want to image it? Or just backup the persons important data?
    Sorry Cat, forgot to mention that. The laptop is NOT bootable. It's dead. Some sort of liquid got spilled on it. That is about all I know. Guess Im not even sure the HD is in working order. I figure it should be. Mine and her lap top are comparable....I hope to just switch and see perhaps.

Just want to backup her personal files, her kids photo's, things of that nature. She was told it would cost $100 to get the files backed up. Wanted to save her the money....(spend it on me instead, lol)

Hard to say if the drive went tits up or not....I'll wager more than likely the motherboard got doused and shorted out. If you can take the drive and slave it to another computer, if the drive is still functional, you should be able to browse it and copy the stuff you want to get.

Since it's a SATA drive, you can even slave it to a tower system at home. Or if you have an external USB drive for your identicle laptop...swap drives..boot into safe mode...copy data off the drive (safe mode to ditch WPA again)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Hard to say if the drive went tits up or not....I'll wager more than likely the motherboard got doused and shorted out. If you can take the drive and slave it to another computer, if the drive is still functional, you should be able to browse it and copy the stuff you want to get.

Since it's a SATA drive, you can even slave it to a tower system at home. Or if you have an external USB drive for your identicle laptop...swap drives..boot into safe mode...copy data off the drive (safe mode to ditch WPA again)
    Thank you Cat. Might go with the second part. At least see how that works.

Yeah, I figured the HD should be ok. More than likely it is the motherboard that is a dead ship so to speak.

Took out the HD from her lap top and the HD was a little big to just slip in. I did not want to completely take my lap top apart, so I just opened up my desk top and disconnected my secondary HD and rebooted in safe mode. Very easy and now her important photo's and files are backed up on an external HD and her lap top is on it's way to Dell.

Thanks Cat!

sup stranger!! ya should come on vent with solsun and I and get Buzz too!

(safe mode to ditch WPA again)
    What is WPA?

SG Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    What is WPA?
    Wi-Fi Protected Access I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    What is WPA?
    Windows Product Activation..if slaving a drive into another computer temporarily to boot up to get something..with intents of putting back in previous hardware, no need to kick off the snowball of WPA because of new hardware being seen.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    sup stranger!! ya should come on vent with solsun and I and get Buzz too!
    Buttman!! I need to that is for sure. You know, I have not seen or talked with BuZz in months! With my current work hours, it has been really hard for me just to get online to do any thing but surf the net, read up on a few sites, stuff like that.

Kinda still play WoW, but only from time to time. Haven't been able to play much actually. Easy asked if I was going to get the latest BF game a few weeks ago. Goes back to if I have the time, hehe. When Im on, I'll hang with the old gang still. Crabby, IRS, Snuf and a few others.

Good news is I will be offered a new position at work which will allow me to work M-F, 7am - 4pm. Might be a few weeks a way, but I can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by Illini25 View Post
    Buttman!! I need to that is for sure. You know, I have not seen or talked with BuZz in months! With my current work hours, it has been really hard for me just to get online to do any thing but surf the net, read up on a few sites, stuff like that.

Kinda still play WoW, but only from time to time. Haven't been able to play much actually. Easy asked if I was going to get the latest BF game a few weeks ago. Goes back to if I have the time, hehe. When Im on, I'll hang with the old gang still. Crabby, IRS, Snuf and a few others.

Good news is I will be offered a new position at work which will allow me to work M-F, 7am - 4pm. Might be a few weeks a way, but I can't wait!!
    I'll send you a PM of the vent info

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    I'll send you a PM of the vent info
    Received and sent one back.