Thread: Not Showing IP Address

Post Not Showing IP Address

I am using ATT@Home Cable service. ATT@Home assigns me a static IP address. When I go to some BBS sites, I can see my complete IP address shown on the board. I don't feel good about this. It feels like running naked on the street and everybody is watching me.

Is there a way not to show my IP address?

downhill

I'm sure there is a way to do this but this is suposed to be a clean site so...the only way I know of is to use a proxy or to avoid those sites.
    Oh yeah..one other way...and it works like a champ. Use Freedom. Its one great way to get email or surf in total freedom

www.freedom.net
    hummmm sounds like an ad...sorry about that.

just don't bogart ALL the cool nyms.

downhill,

Thanks for your reply. I was not awared that it was not legal not to reveal complete IP address. Since I saw a lot people not showing IP address in those BBS sites, I thought it was common practice not showing IP address.

TonyT

Many web sites will embed a javascript in the page that will show your ip. To avoid this you must disable active scripting in your browser.

Maglor

any CGI (or other dynamic program) can find out your IP, and a whole bunch of other stuff about you. your safest way is to use a proxy. Try www.anonymizer.com (i've never actually tried using that, but I've heard from people that it works fine).

--Maglor

downhill

Cool

Yes anonymzier works fine too. Although if you don't pay for the service, its really slow. I know what you mean about the cgi stuff though. Its why I like freedom. You can use up too 5 different nyms and can route through 3 different servers.And can even get your email through your nyms.

All depends on how paranoid you are.

who's that porkin' my ports now? NSA?

[This message has been edited by downhill (edited 02-20-2000).]