Thread: Dual monitor question

Dual monitor question

For those of you that run them alot you may be able to answer this quickly..

8600 GT running a 19" standard and a 24" wide screen both Dell Ultra's.

The 19 is fine but the 24" which is the 2nd monitor isn't filling the whole screen even though the resolution in the nvidia settings are set to 1920X1200

You pretty much have to go into the monitor buttons/settings and zoom it in but even still the mouse cursor is driftin off the screen into limbo..

solutions?

wow..nothing?

Been a while since I'd had to deal with this. how are you using them, sharing/expanding the desktop to both? If so I think it is forced to the lower res.

It would be cool to have a dual setup.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Been a while since I'd had to deal with this. how are you using them, sharing/expanding the desktop to both? If so I think it is forced to the lower res.
    I'm expanding as in I can drop and drag open apps to the other screen... how do I make it increase to a higher resolution if that's the case?

Edit: yes that's exactly what its doing.. I swapped them out for the larger to be the primary and yep..its doing it, all I need is a way to swap em or I guess I'll just use the 19" as the 2nd screen for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Edit: yes that's exactly what its doing.. I swapped them out for the larger to be the primary and yep..its doing it, all I need is a way to swap em or I guess I'll just use the 19" as the 2nd screen for now.
    Ya I think thats about all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Ya I think thats about all you can do.
    Well that sucks... I guess i'll deal with it till I get my other 24" one of these days.

i always see people posting this deal for multi monitors, i have never tried it though.

http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

I used Ultramon on my windows XP PC and like it a lot. Mine are identical monitors so I don't have the problem you describe. At the moment I'm stuck with just the onboard video on my new win 7 PC so I'm back to one monitor. It's taking some getting used to but the Aero snap and shake are making it easier to live with. Aside from being able to put different wallpapers on each monitor I like the way Ultramon makes it easy to move windows from one monitor to the other with just one mouse click. I had mine set to turn one monitor off (switch from dual to single) with a mouse click too. I only ever use one monitor to play games.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

yeah see my issue is two different monitor sizes... but i'll deal with it and just use the larger one for the primary till I get another 24" Ultra wide, hate it cause them suckers are around 400$

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Did you install the drivers and software or just the drivers?

Iím not familiar with Nvidia as much as ATI though. I have a 21 inch CRT and a 50 inch plasma connected to the same card. Went into the software and tweaked it for the plasma, no problems here except a small black band running around the picture, I can deal with that since the band in about half-inch and the picture is 49.5 inches of eyegasmic delight.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Did you install the drivers and software or just the drivers?

Iím not familiar with Nvidia as much as ATI though. I have a 21 inch CRT and a 50 inch plasma connected to the same card. Went into the software and tweaked it for the plasma, no problems here except a small black band running around the picture, I can deal with that since the band in about half-inch and the picture is 49.5 inches of eyegasmic delight.
    umm.. well it's caused by what YOS said, when the primary is the smaller its dropping the resolution for the desktop so i've gotta use the larger of the two for the primary.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    That sucks. The ATI software lets me tweak and play with two different resolutions.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    That sucks. The ATI software lets me tweak and play with two different resolutions.
    Well I can do the same with Nvidia...but with the primary being the smaller of the two it would appear as if its keeping that resolution the same to the 24"...... if you get a chance try it with a larger monitor wide screen to a regular smaller one and see if its the same.